Picking #3

Superduperman

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

What is your take on the Trent Williams situation? Do you think he's going to still want to be traded or is Ron Rivera going to quiet that down?

Rivera is doing everything he can to get Trent back.

• First and foremost was firing Bruce Allen.  It hasn't been publicly stated, but the word is that Rivera wouldn't accept the job unless Allen was gone.  Most Redskins fans already love him for that.
  • We also fired our head athletic trainer, who had been with the team for 17 years, and the word is the rest of the training/rehab staff was let go as well, or soon will be.
  • We hired Ryan Vermillion as head athletic trainer.  He's well-regarded around the league and has spent the previous 18 years as the head athletic trainer for the Panthers.
  • We hired Dr. Kevin Wilk as a medical consultant, who has worked with some of the biggest names in sports and has performed rehabilitation on Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, Drew Brees, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Eli Manning, and more.  He rose to prominence helping Drew Brees' shoulder recover early in his career.
  • Snyder has stated he wants "the best medical staff in the league", and his actions so far have backed that up.  I'm skeptical we'll ever be the best, but shooting for that goal is definitely a positive change.

However, all that may not be enough.  Most think Trent's primary issue throughout this whole circus was the lack of guaranteed money remaining in his contract.  He's signed through 2020, but the guaranteed money is pretty much gone. 

If Rivera wants him badly enough, we can sign him to a 3-year or so extension and I'm sure he'll come back.  The only issue with that is the precedent it sets with other players.  But this situation is unique enough that the precedent issue is really not a big deal IMO.  He's an elite player (or, at least, he was when he last played) who had a cancer scare due to your medical staff's incompetence.  That situation won't come around all that often.  I think we should pay the man, unless we can get a 1st round pick back in a trade for him, which is doubtful at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they made Tua the pick for themselves.  Kinda reminds me of the Marcus Mariota rumors leading up to the draft in 2015.  The rumors that Tennessee was auctioning off the pick to the highest bidder, but it turned out that Tennessee wanted Mariota for themselves.

I really wish this were the case. I'm afraid that this nonsensical one year expectation could cause them to look elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Rivera is doing everything he can to get Trent back.

• First and foremost was firing Bruce Allen.  It hasn't been publicly stated, but the word is that Rivera wouldn't accept the job unless Allen was gone.  Most Redskins fans already love him for that.
  • We also fired our head athletic trainer, who had been with the team for 17 years, and the word is the rest of the training/rehab staff was let go as well, or soon will be.
  • We hired Ryan Vermillion as head athletic trainer.  He's well-regarded around the league and has spent the previous 18 years as the head athletic trainer for the Panthers.
  • We hired Dr. Kevin Wilk as a medical consultant, who has worked with some of the biggest names in sports and has performed rehabilitation on Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, Drew Brees, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Eli Manning, and more.  He rose to prominence helping Drew Brees' shoulder recover early in his career.
  • Snyder has stated he wants "the best medical staff in the league", and his actions so far have backed that up.  I'm skeptical we'll ever be the best, but shooting for that goal is definitely a positive change.

However, all that may not be enough.  Most think Trent's primary issue throughout this whole circus was the lack of guaranteed money remaining in his contract.  He's signed through 2020, but the guaranteed money is pretty much gone. 

If Rivera wants him badly enough, we can sign him to a 3-year or so extension and I'm sure he'll come back.  The only issue with that is the precedent it sets with other players.  But this situation is unique enough that the precedent issue is really not a big deal IMO.  He's an elite player (or, at least, he was when he last played) who had a cancer scare due to your medical staff's incompetence.  That situation won't come around all that often.  I think we should pay the man, unless we can get a 1st round pick back in a trade for him, which is doubtful at this point.

Interesting. I had assumed that some of this medical stuff would be rectified with Rivera and this just confirms it. 

It feels safe to assume he'll be back and that LT is less of a pressing issue. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I really wish this were the case. I'm afraid that this nonsensical one year expectation could cause them to look elsewhere.

I feel like this is one of those situations where the Lions can't mess up.  They either trade down with a team who wants Tua and get a large bundle of picks or they stick and take a BPA who fits need (Andrew Thomas, Jeffrey Okudah, etc.).

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like this is one of those situations where the Lions can't mess up.  They either trade down with a team who wants Tua and get a large bundle of picks or they stick and take a BPA who fits need (Andrew Thomas, Jeffrey Okudah, etc.).

But this is the Lions that we're talking about here.... 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, the only way I see them whiff is if they're taking Isaiah Simmons or a WR.  Realistically, do you think they do either of those?

Jeudy can't be ruled out lol 

While I really want Chase Young, it would be interesting to see them trade down and see what they do if Young and Brown aren't on the board. The Patriots haven't taken CB's in round 1 but they've also been in the bottom of the draft time and again. If Okudah is sitting there, do they buck that trend? 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

Jeudy can't be ruled out lol 

While I really want Chase Young, it would be interesting to see them trade down and see what they do if Young and Brown aren't on the board. The Patriots haven't taken CB's in round 1 but they've also been in the bottom of the draft time and again. If Okudah is sitting there, do they buck that trend? 

Going from 23 would take a monster haul.  It'd be at least a FRP next year to make that move, probably more.  And given that they're going to be in the market for a QB sooner rathe than later, if they're trading up it's going to be for Tua.  Not Okudah.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Going from 23 would take a monster haul.  It'd be at least a FRP next year to make that move, probably more.  And given that they're going to be in the market for a QB sooner rathe than later, if they're trading up it's going to be for Tua.  Not Okudah.

I'm talking about the Lions following the Patriots model. The Pats don't take CB's in the 1st round. When Patricia was first hired I did an analysis of their drafts to see trends, etc. They didn't take a CB in round 1 in 10 years. 

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

With Marvin Jones nearing the end of his contract, and strong combine testing a possibility, a WR could absolutely be in play.

It's a deep draft for WR's. I expect they'll bring back Amendola plus Marvin Hall should be back. Fulgham could have developed on the PS. They definitely need to plan for the future but I don't know if they need to do that at #3 or #5/#6. 

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It's a deep draft for WR's. I expect they'll bring back Amendola plus Marvin Hall should be back. Fulgham could have developed on the PS. They definitely need to plan for the future but I don't know if they need to do that at #3 or #5/#6. 

Oh, I agree. I do NOT want a WR early in this draft. I just can't rule it out.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm talking about the Lions following the Patriots model. The Pats don't take CB's in the 1st round. When Patricia was first hired I did an analysis of their drafts to see trends, etc. They didn't take a CB in round 1 in 10 years. 

they signed Stephon Gilmore when he was a fa and he was a top 10 pick. Devin McCourty  was there last cb taking in the 1st and he was the 27th pick in the 2010 draft. Mccourty was moved to safety after they traded for talib in 2012. it  seemed BB always wanted a cb to take 1 side of the field away.  in 2014 he signed Revis to replace Talib