Star Wars Universe Thread

naptownskinsfan

12 hours ago, Acgott said:

I’m bored, so I’m looking at Google trends. Since 2004, the first year of data. Ahsoka has a slight lead over Windu for a general search, and much bigger referenced to Star Wars.

Darth Maul beats them all including Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as general search terms. Pretty amazing for a character that’s been dead for 20 years in film, except for 10 seconds. Anakin has the highest peak though 

During the sequel trilogy years, Darth Vader dominates. Kylo surpasses him sometimes and Rey is competitive. I wonder how it would look without Rogue One

Kylo ren shirtless is his top trend.

Luke is about tied with Rey during that time period, but Rey gets a bigger kick during her last movie

Interesting numbers, thanks for sharing.  

Just using Battlefront as an example, having six heroes for the light side and dark side at launch was a huge mistake.  With Star Wars, you could easily double that amount just with characters in the movies.  

Then as you go along, launch new heroes with DLC that can include Ahsoka and other characters from around the Star Wars universe.  While I've never watched the Clone Wars beyond the first season, I absolutely know who Ahsoka is.  Meanwhile, the last hero update added BB-9E, who had a grand total of 30 seconds appearing in a Star Wars movie.  No reason why Ahsoka and other characters shouldn't be in the game if we are digging that deep for heroes in the movies.  

I will never understand how both Battlefront games released with barebones online maps and hero content.  You lose the audience with that quickly.  Once you lose them, most aren't coming back.  Instead of starting small and building out with DLC, you almost have to overwhelm them with content from the beginning.  It's been a while since I've played online shooters though (probably Call of Duty MW3?) so I'm not sure if that's the case for other shooters or not, but it certainly felt like it was going that way when I last played them. 

@naptownskinsfan yeah, I went on a nice little tangent there.

I just checked the rosters and the original battlefront 2 had such better characters and they had 3 less movies. It’s a shame they didn’t expand more. 3 more clone war Jedi and even Asaji Ventress was available as a download for Xbox. All these new characters tied in DLC.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

@naptownskinsfan yeah, I went on a nice little tangent there.

I just checked the rosters and the original battlefront 2 had such better characters and they had 3 less movies. It’s a shame they didn’t expand more. 3 more clone war Jedi and even Asaji Ventress was available as a download for Xbox. All these new characters tied in DLC.

No worries.  

Ventress was one of my favorite OG Battlefront heroes.  But that's how you need to do it.  They had just about all of the characters from the movies at that time that were worth putting into the game.  Then went a little deeper when they added Kit Fisto and Ventress (who was EU at the time, and no Clone Wars TV I think.) 

It would be easy to get together enough heroes for all of the eras, and then add characters as you see fit.  This is how I would've done it.  I would also include different "tiers" of heroes as well.  

Prequel Era 

Republic- Mace Windu, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Padme 
CIS- Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Darth Sidious, Jango Fett, OOM-9 

Original Trilogy

Rebels- Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Wedge Antilles, Chewie
Empire- Emperor Palpatine, Vader, Boba Fett, General Veers, Iden Versio

Imagine Antilles and Veers as characters who would be support for their teams, as well as have bonuses in vehicles  

Sequel Trilogy 

Resistance- Rey, Finn, Poe, Chewie 
First Order- Kylo Ren, Phasma, Hux, Snoke 

That's what the game should've released with.  Plenty of heroes to keep everyone invested, instead of the five or six for each side that we got.  Then you can run "seasons" and add Clone Wars characters like Ahsoka, and lesser-known Jedi, popular Clone Troopers and such.  For the original trilogy, you can add some characters from Rogue One, maybe a couple other minor OT characters or bounty hunters.  With the sequel trilogy, you could probably add some of the Resistance heroes (Rose, Snap Wexley, Nien Numb, Connix (Carrie Fisher's daughter's character) and then add in the Knights of Ren.  

They should be pumping out heroes for this game, not limiting them.  

Just now, Acgott said:

@naptownskinsfan I don’t disagree with what you are saying, I would have used different characters for some of them? Veers? Really? Tarkin if you want an Imperial Officer. Grevious over the battle droid. Ewok over Wedge. Either way, I agree. More characters.

Forgot about Grievious.  My bad on that.  

Not sure if Peter Cushing's estate would go for Tarkin's likeness being used in this.  That's why they never gave us an Alec Guinness Obi-Wan appearance, or so the rumor says.  

I hate Ewoks and love the Wedge Antilles character, so we'll agree to disagree on that one.  They did roll out Ewoks though.  

25 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Forgot about Grievious.  My bad on that.  

Not sure if Peter Cushing's estate would go for Tarkin's likeness being used in this.  That's why they never gave us an Alec Guinness Obi-Wan appearance, or so the rumor says.  

I hate Ewoks and love the Wedge Antilles character, so we'll agree to disagree on that one.  They did roll out Ewoks though.  

Well in this imaginary situation, I control the estate. We did get Ben Kenobi in the Revenge of the Sith video game. A Tusken Raider would be better than the imperial officer. No one wants to play as that.

For the battle droid, at least give us a commando droid, or magna droid. Not a little battle droid.

Sadly, all the original trilogy heroes would just blend together outside Luke. All blaster types. At least an ewok would be different.

• Like 1

I was watching this video and it reminded me how great the lightsaber duels in Star Wars games have become.  But not only that, if you look at this playstyle it mirrors a duel very well.  A lot of you guys and others have praised The Clone Wars for their lightsaber duels as well, and DICE finally got lightsaber heroes figured out halfway through the life of Battlefront II.  Also, we can go back to all of the old cinematic trailers for The Old Republic to see some great duels as well.  

So how can video games and animated mediums do such a great job with lightsaber duels, but the sequel trilogy fell flat with it?  

Here is the video I was referencing 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So how can video games and animated mediums do such a great job with lightsaber duels, but the sequel trilogy fell flat with it?  

the absence of real life physics perhaps, total freedom of creativity without having to work around reality

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

the absence of real life physics perhaps, total freedom of creativity without having to work around reality

I even thought they did well with things in the prequel trilogy.  They fell off in the sequel trilogy.  I also don't include the fight against Snoke's guards in that equation either because it wasn't a lightsaber duel in the typical sense of things.  The two Kylo and Rey duels really fell flat.  

EDIT: Not trying to make this into another sequel argument.  I really liked the fight against the guards and something I really liked from that movie- it also included some version of the light whip, which is one of my favorite EU weapons.  

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Nah. It's about passion. If the passion is there it shows. Take a look at this and this is without a budget let alone a Disney budget.

22 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Nah. It's about passion. If the passion is there it shows. Take a look at this and this is without a budget let alone a Disney budget.

Thats just like your opinion man gif 8 » GIF Images Download

It's boring when everything just comes back to Disney. It's so one note, I'm over it. Besides, most bad *** Vader scene is under the roof of the house of mouse. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Thats just like your opinion man gif 8 » GIF Images Download

It's boring when everything just comes back to Disney. It's so one note, I'm over it. Besides, most bad *** Vader scene is under the roof of the house of mouse. 

Like I said. Passion matters.