Star Wars Universe Thread

naptownskinsfan

On 4/23/2020 at 12:25 PM, Daniel said:

I really don't understand how they didn't dive into more of he canon expanded universe stuff.  1. They know it's popular with fans.  2. As canon material, they probably have an ownership stake in it already, meaning it should be cheaper than original material, and 3. They're still free to mess with it to the degree that they want.  I really just don't understand why they didn't go that way, especially since the one decent movie in the sequel trilogy was just good because of the fanservice.

Because they've already jumped the shark, and the timelines are screwed up.  

As far as I know, because I've largely given up trying to follow storylines at this point for their new expanded universe (I have five unread novels right now, the only ones I've cared for are the Thrawn ones) they've only brought back Thrawn.  I've seen rumors of Ashared Hett being written into the Obi-Wan show.  But I don't see how they could do anything related to the original Thrawn arc anymore.  They can't do Kyle Katarn/Jerec stories, because of the lack of Force users after Return of the Jedi.  They neutered Wedge Antilles in their new canon, sent him off into retirement instead of having him be a hero of the Republic like the old EU had.  Luke never married, so having Mara Jade return would be a half-hearted effort.  Han and Leia had one kid versus the twins and Anakin.  

There isn't much reason to pull anyone else at this point.  And I am guilty of this too, Star Wars fans jump at anything to see if it's canon.  We took the Jedi Crusader pendant mentioned in The Last Jedi, and the possible Darth Nihilios statue in Rise of Skywalker as proof that Revan is canon.  But what story of Revan?  They can make these characters vastly different from the Legends variety.  If they threw someone a bone in the cartoon shows and had them work with Talon Karrde, then people would jump to conclusions about Mara being canon and everything else that happens being canon.  Personally, I'd rather have the EU not be bastardized by Disney anymore than they already did by killing it, but that's just me.  

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Because they've already jumped the shark, and the timelines are screwed up.  

Oh, I meant right from the get go, like with the first movie.  They could have tweaked it a bit, but you've got great female characters like Mara Jade that you know do well, the clone Emperor stuff, etc.  If you pay as much as Disney did, you want a safe return on your investment, and that just seemed like the safest way to do that.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Oh, I meant right from the get go, like with the first movie.  They could have tweaked it a bit, but you've got great female characters like Mara Jade that you know do well, the clone Emperor stuff, etc.  If you pay as much as Disney did, you want a safe return on your investment, and that just seemed like the safest way to do that.

They want to make "their" stories.  But I think they could've done a much better job doing what Marvel did.  You have the universe characters, and you have their enemies, who they face off against.  The storylines were changed some, and sometimes borrowed from specific comic book arcs.  I would've been happy with that, because I also understand wanting to have their own content and the extent of the EU has made it so they couldn't tell their own stories.  

Also, it really stinks that you had Ford, Hamill and Fisher at the age they are.  That really limits being able to tell the original Thrawn story, or other stories, without recasting.  Which could've been a huge disaster.  Solo being the worst film as far as money goes kinda points in that direction, even though I prescribe to the thought that some of that was due to how divisive The Last Jedi was.  

On 4/23/2020 at 2:28 AM, Calvert28 said:

Facepalm GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I just read this.  I can't with this company anymore.  Even if it is as simple an explanation as someone forgot Yoda is 900 years old.  That person should be fired for not knowing something that basic though.  

51 minutes ago, Acgott said:

It’s a hyperbole, judging off one line. There’s people that considered Windu a better Jedi than Yoda especially as a duelist 

Yes but Yoda was the Grand Master.  He was Grand Master by the time he took on Dooku as a Padawan in 102 BBY.  In EU, by 200 BBY, he was on the Jedi High Council.  

So if you merged the timelines together as an exercise, Yoda is at least on the High Council by the time of the new High Republic Era, eventually to become Grand Master during this time period.  At the very least, we know at the end of the High Republic Period, he's the Grand Master when he takes Dooku as apprentice.  

Look, as a wrestling fan, I get that you use veterans to put over young, upcoming talent.  But man, at what point is enough enough with Star Wars?  Lucasfilm should've known exactly what that phrasing would do, and not use it.  Get them over some different way.  They also know they are going to have to tread carefully in the High Republic Era, because Yoda and Yaddle will both be present in it, and we know exactly how it's going to end.  For storytelling purposes, if they wanted to do their own thing, they should have gone further back, or gone much more ahead of Rise of Skywalker.  

I desperately want them to get on track and get some things going that I can really sink my teeth into.  I'm tired of reading the same books from the EU over and over again.  But the way they are rolling out the books and content right now, none of it is very compelling in my opinion except Thrawn.  And I attribute a lot of that to Timothy Zahn being present and still writing the story

40 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yes but Yoda was the Grand Master.  He was Grand Master by the time he took on Dooku as a Padawan in 102 BBY.  In EU, by 200 BBY, he was on the Jedi High Council.  

So if you merged the timelines together as an exercise, Yoda is at least on the High Council by the time of the new High Republic Era, eventually to become Grand Master during this time period.  At the very least, we know at the end of the High Republic Period, he's the Grand Master when he takes Dooku as apprentice.  

Look, as a wrestling fan, I get that you use veterans to put over young, upcoming talent.  But man, at what point is enough enough with Star Wars?  Lucasfilm should've known exactly what that phrasing would do, and not use it.  Get them over some different way.  They also know they are going to have to tread carefully in the High Republic Era, because Yoda and Yaddle will both be present in it, and we know exactly how it's going to end.  For storytelling purposes, if they wanted to do their own thing, they should have gone further back, or gone much more ahead of Rise of Skywalker.  

I desperately want them to get on track and get some things going that I can really sink my teeth into.  I'm tired of reading the same books from the EU over and over again.  But the way they are rolling out the books and content right now, none of it is very compelling in my opinion except Thrawn.  And I attribute a lot of that to Timothy Zahn being present and still writing the story

I understand your complaints for wanting fresh material, but it’s too early to judge on this. We don’t know where Yoda and Yaddle are. They may be across the universe somewhere else.

11 hours ago, Acgott said:

The clone wars’ siege of mandalore arc may be one of the best Star Wars things ever. So much tension and excitement. I highly recommend it, and there’s still 2 episodes left.

it's really, really good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Acgott said:

I understand your complaints for wanting fresh material, but it’s too early to judge on this. We don’t know where Yoda and Yaddle are. They may be across the universe somewhere else.

Yoda at this point would be around 500-600 years old and has probably already helped train thousands of Jedi which is part of the responsibilities of the Council Members. He was on it at this point. Lucas himself stated there has never been a greater Jedi Master then Yoda not even Luke who only surpassed him in the EU not as part of Lucas's story. So just up and saying that there was someone already better then him, more noble and wiser is just poor writing. Now of course if they had set this a near 1000 years before then that I can understand. But by this point Yoda has already established himself as arguably the most respected member of the Jedi Council. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Yoda at this point would be around 500-600 years old and has probably already helped train thousands of Jedi which is part of the responsibilities of the Council Members. He was on it at this point. Lucas himself stated there has never been a greater Jedi Master then Yoda not even Luke who only surpassed him in the EU not as part of Lucas's story. So just up and saying that there was someone already better then him, more noble and wiser is just poor writing. Now of course if they had set this a near 1000 years before then that I can understand. But by this point Yoda has already established himself as arguably the most respected member of the Jedi Council. 

It’s a hyperbole off one line. Stop trying to nitpick it. Yoda could still be the best. There could be others that are in his level. We don’t know. 
Mace Windu was regarded as the Jedi’s champion. Why can’t this new character be at that same level. It has nothing to do with yoda.