Star Wars Universe Thread

naptownskinsfan

44 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Your writers room issue is moot. Its not too many cooks in the kitchen because they arent working on the same meal. All those writers are working on individual projects among multiple novels and comic runs. The "writers room" is just to make sure their stories and characters fit into an overarching world. Marvel and DC do it constantly to make sure their ongoing titles dont clash so the world stays tied together and not literred with inconsistencies. If we were talking about a new movie, I might agree with you. However, we arent talking about a single anything, we are talking about 5+ book series and 10+ comic ongoings.

I also dont agree with your assessment on going backward. While I understand your concern, I dont believe it will limit them at all. There is very little current cannon, if any at all, in this time period. They can do almost anything besides blowing up the Republic, which it doesnt need to do. I think Star Wars needs to get smaller, not bigger. I think it needs to be less about Galatic Government and more about the stories that take place on a more intimate scale.

I'll agree with all that.

Give us a movie that's character driven instead of plot driven, and we'll be much happier.  Which is what the bolded part of your quote will lead to.  It's also why the Mandalorian was so good.  If you really think about what happened during those episodes, it wasn't much.  He flew around and tried to avoid the bounty hunters, and awesome character driven stuff happened that centered around the main character.  He wasn't squeezed into some bigger plot (although it feels like that's coming with season 2).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Your writers room issue is moot. Its not too many cooks in the kitchen because they arent working on the same meal. All those writers are working on individual projects among multiple novels and comic runs. The "writers room" is just to make sure their stories and characters fit into an overarching world. Marvel and DC do it constantly to make sure their ongoing titles dont clash so the world stays tied together and not literred with inconsistencies. If we were talking about a new movie, I might agree with you. However, we arent talking about a single anything, we are talking about 5+ book series and 10+ comic ongoings.

I also dont agree with your assessment on going backward. While I understand your concern, I dont believe it will limit them at all. There is very little current cannon, if any at all, in this time period. They can do almost anything besides blowing up the Republic, which it doesnt need to do. I think Star Wars needs to get smaller, not bigger. I think it needs to be less about Galatic Government and more about the stories that take place on a more intimate scale.

They'll pretty much have too. Unless I'm mistaken the high republic era or also called the Sith's Rule of Two era mandated from Darth Bane was considered the most peaceful in the Galactic Republics history. I'll have to double check on that. 

32 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

They'll pretty much have too. Unless I'm mistaken the high republic era or also called the Sith's Rule of Two era mandated from Darth Bane was considered the most peaceful in the Galactic Republics history. I'll have to double check on that. 

Darth Bane died 980 BBY in Legends.  I do not recall there being anything in Legends during this time period (200 years before The Phantom Menace.)  The only characters who would be alive are Yoda and Yaddle.  

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I don't think it limits them either.  There isn't much source material from this era even from Legends.  All we know are that Yoda and Yaddle can't be killed, the Republic can't be blown up, and that there is the Rule of Two Sith Lords operating in the background, and they can't be known to the Jedi.  That pretty much gives them a lot of freedom to tell different stories.  

I also think it's smarter to not move forward right now with the fan backlash still swirling around the sequel trilogy.  Lucasfilm would get hammered by some if they made new movies and ignored the sequel characters, and would be equally hammered if they made new movies right now with the sequel characters.  By going to a time period with little information on it, they've made the best decision for them.  Novels and comics can lay the groundwork for a movie or two.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

It is the most peaceful, but that's GALACTIC peace. There can still be squables among systems and planets as well as even smaller, criminal organizations. According to the video the recurring villains that they are developing are a large contingent of space pirates. 

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:
1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

It is the most peaceful, but that's GALACTIC peace. There can still be squables among systems and planets as well as even smaller, criminal organizations. According to the video the recurring villains that they are developing are a large contingent of space pirates. 

@Calvert28 point was that they'll have to go smaller scale conflict/stories because of that.  

You guys are saying the same thing.

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

And remember that the Republic only extends so far.  They aren't in the Outer Rim, where the Hutts, space pirates and other folks are running things.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

And remember that the Republic only extends so far.  They aren't in the Outer Rim, where the Hutts, space pirates and other folks are running things.  

Truth, I would like to stay away from any Hutt Cartel business though. It seems to easy to slide back into familiar things like that. I'd like them to develop new villians, which it seems they are. 

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

@Calvert28 point was that they'll have to go smaller scale conflict/stories because of that.  

You guys are saying the same thing.

He was saying they'd have to go small, I am just elaborating that they still have room for big, just not at a galactic scale. 

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

He was saying they'd have to go small, I am just elaborating that they still have room for big, just not at a galactic scale. 

Guess that depends on your definition of big/small.  I'd still consider that small, given that everything so far in Star Wars basically encompassed the entire galaxy.  Everything else, by definition, would be smaller.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, theJ said:

Guess that depends on your definition of big/small.  I'd still consider that small, given that everything so far in Star Wars basically encompassed the entire galaxy.  Everything else, by definition, would be smaller.

Smaller in comparison, sure, but a planetwide civil war is still pretty big IMO, as an example

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Darth Bane died 980 BBY in Legends.  I do not recall there being anything in Legends during this time period (200 years before The Phantom Menace.)  The only characters who would be alive are Yoda and Yaddle.  

Yea a thousand years or round about. But I cant remember if it was in the movies or the books but it was Windu or Palpatine. One of whom discussed or implied that it has been one of the most peaceful periods since the destruction of the sith up until the clone wars. 

42 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Truth, I would like to stay away from any Hutt Cartel business though. It seems to easy to slide back into familiar things like that. I'd like them to develop new villians, which it seems they are. 

In comparison to a galactic war or empire I consider space pirates to pale in comparison. 

So, you guys are telling me nobody wants to watch a West Wing Style mini series set in the Galactic Senate; following a group of up and coming coalition senators and their aids trying to collect enough votes for a multilateral trade deal and infrastructure project within the republic?

Edited by animaltested

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

In comparison to a galactic war or empire I consider space pirates to pale in comparison. 

Scale wise, sure. That doesnt mean the story cant be great. The stakes don't have to be that high to make a compelling story, otherwise fiction would be awfully repetitive.