Star Wars Universe Thread

naptownskinsfan

Just got through season 1 of Rebels and it seems pretty consistent with Clone Wars.  The filler stuff can really fall flat sometimes, but the main storyline is pretty interesting.  The season 1 finale especially has me interested in what direction it is heading in for season 2.  It looks like season 4 was the last one made and that was in 2017 so it looks like it should at least be a somewhat contained storyline.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Just got through season 1 of Rebels and it seems pretty consistent with Clone Wars.  The filler stuff can really fall flat sometimes, but the main storyline is pretty interesting.  The season 1 finale especially has me interested in what direction it is heading in for season 2.  It looks like season 4 was the last one made and that was in 2017 so it looks like it should at least be a somewhat contained storyline.

Season 2 has some of my favorite Star Wars moments.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Season 1 has a TON of filler.....partly because they also need to introduce and flesh out the new characters.  

S2-S4, when it advances the storyline, and when it's piggybacking on the Clone Wars canon, really does some great stuff.  I say that as someone who binged Clone Wars & Rebels S1-S3 in 2017 and then watched S4 when it came out.  

Edited by Broncofan

Second time watching Solo, and it's very obvious the second time around what one of the biggest problems is. 

It's much, much, much too fast in the beginning.  Way too fast.  We just have to assume the relationship Han has with Emilia Clarke's character instead of actually seeing it.  There's a lot of good stuff early on in the movie, but it goes so fast that if you blink you might miss it.  The bit with Solo "activating" a thermal detonator and the worm lady saying, "That's not a thermal detonator, that's a rock," and then saying, "You made a clicking sound," as him "activating" the detonator was great, but, again, way too fast. 

Then the Chewbacca/Han fight.  It was over in 2 minutes.  Grind that out, man.  Make them stuck there in the muck for a week.  We go from them fighting to suddenly best friends in literally 5 minutes of screen time. 

Too many characters, too many moving parts, too little emotion and depth. 

The guy who played Han wasn't bad.  He tried to do his own thing.  Play a young Han Solo instead of mimicking Ford.  There was a lot of good to it. 

Terribly ill-conceived.  Someone with the mystique and uncertainty between brash hubris, outlandish arrogance and hyperbole mixed with dorky clumsiness and sheer luck of Solo should not have been explained.  It should have remained with a shroud of uncertainty as to whether or not he actually made the Kessel run at all or just happened to hop onto a ship that just did it and take credit for it. 

None of Han Solo should ever have been explained, so the problem with that movie in a nutshell was that it should not have been made.  Had this movie been just some other character made specifically for this script with a few Han-centric ideas changed, this would have been a great way to introduce the underworld and crime introduced in The Clone Wars to a feature-length, live action film. 

Rambling drivel coming to an end. 

TL;DR: Solo was not a terrible movie, and it has a lot of redeeming qualities mixed in with its fair share of faults. 

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Second time watching Solo, and it's very obvious the second time around what one of the biggest problems is. 

It's much, much, much too fast in the beginning.  Way too fast.  We just have to assume the relationship Han has with Emilia Clarke's character instead of actually seeing it.  There's a lot of good stuff early on in the movie, but it goes so fast that if you blink you might miss it.  The bit with Solo "activating" a thermal detonator and the worm lady saying, "That's not a thermal detonator, that's a rock," and then saying, "You made a clicking sound," as him "activating" the detonator was great, but, again, way too fast. 

Then the Chewbacca/Han fight.  It was over in 2 minutes.  Grind that out, man.  Make them stuck there in the muck for a week.  We go from them fighting to suddenly best friends in literally 5 minutes of screen time. 

The guy who played Han wasn't bad.  He tried to do his own thing.  Play a young Han Solo instead of mimicking Ford.  There was a lot of good to it. 

Terribly ill-conceived.  Someone with the mystique and uncertainty between brash hubris, outlandish arrogance and hyperbole mixed with dorky clumsiness and sheer luck of Solo should not have been explained.  It should have remained with a shroud of uncertainty as to whether or not he actually made the Kessel run at all or just happened to hop onto a ship that just did it and take credit for it. 

None of Han Solo should ever have been explained, so the problem with that movie in a nutshell was that it should not have been made.  Had this movie been just some other character made specifically for this script with a few Han-centric ideas changed, this would have been a great way to introduce the underworld and crime introduced in The Clone Wars to a feature-length, live action film. 

TL;DR: Solo was not a terrible movie, and it has a lot of redeeming qualities mixed in with its fair share of faults. 

I enjoyed Solo. 

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm just gonna say it... Every Star Wars movie after Empire Strikes Back is treated too harshly.

ROTJ has some flaws (Ewoks) but aside from that...isn't too bad.

The prequels, with the exception of TPM aren't bad...though there are a few changes I would have made. 

The sequels...I feel like they had a lot of potential after the first one but went off the rails with TLJ and it really pigeon-holed what they could do with the third. As I mentioned before, I actually liked Solo and Rogue One was great as well. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It's much, much, much too fast in the beginning.  Way too fast.

I agree, the studio step in is so apparent with the pacing and having the new director come in made them force too much into the run time. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I also think he gets a bad rap. If the movie was over-all more well received and those rumors about his acting classes didnt sprout up no one would be complaining. 

19 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I agree with a lot of that.  I also think I've been able to pick out what the original directors did, and what Ron Howard did.  Howard didn't even try to hide what he did.  

Thandie Newton was criminally underused.  I would absolutely love a movie or show about her character and Woody Harrelson going further back.  

The only thing I didn't like is that they added the Crimson Dawn to the underworld elements.  I'm guessing that Crimson Dawn had already appeared in the cartoon shows.  But with the old EU, there is no shortage of underworld groups......there's Black Sun, the Hutt Cartels, the Exchange and Czerka Corporation.  

Overall it was a fun movie, nowhere near as bad as what people want to claim it to be.  The only thing I'll disagree with is the Kessel run.  In the EU, they go through that and he did make it, so I thought they had to explain it from the new canon perspective if they were doing a Han Solo film.  

Personally, I would love a Star Wars underworld themed movie.  I thought SWTOR missed the boat when they launched it without an underworld faction, where you could've housed the mercenary, smuggler and maybe one other class, and worked for both sides.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Personally, I would love a Star Wars underworld themed movie.  I thought SWTOR missed the boat when they launched it without an underworld faction, where you could've housed the mercenary, smuggler and maybe one other class, and worked for both sides.  

I'm thinking the Obi Wan series will take a deep dive into the underworld factions and deal directly with Maul.  Everything is set up for that. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm just gonna say it... Every Star Wars movie after Empire Strikes Back is treated too harshly.

I would agree with that for most people.  

For me personally, I can excuse JarJar and little Anakin from The Phantom Menace.  I don't necessarily have an issue with that movie.  I also like Revenge of the Sith.  But Attack of the Clones is horrid.  George Lucas and his horrible dialogue and acting at its worst.  

I even like most of the sequel trilogy except The Last Jedi.  

So I've got both of those movies at the very end of the spectrum, with a clear divide between them and the rest of the movies.  

Rogue One is my favorite of the Disney films, and I even went into that movie wanting to hate it.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I agree, the studio step in is so apparent with the pacing and having the new director come in made them force too much into the run time. 

I also think he gets a bad rap. If the movie was over-all more well received and those rumors about his acting classes didnt sprout up no one would be complaining. 

I agree, he did pretty well and what I imagined a young Han Solo would look/act like.  I'd love to see him reprise the role in another movie or stand-alone show, but I don't think they go in that direction.  

Two episodes in on Rebels and not a fan.  Disliked Clone Wars at the same point, so I’m gonna try powering through.  Really just want to get the background and basics of characters for their inevitable introduction on The Mandalorian.  

Dislike who I think is main character Ezra.