Teams that cannot draft a certain side of the ball.

Hukos

1 hour ago, joru1000 said:

Not really an entire side of the ball, but the Vikings have sucked at drafting offensive linemen for a decade now. Brian O'Neil is looking to be the only good one. Bradbury is still an unknown. Matt Kalil was such a shame.

i'd also say receiver. they got "lucky" with drafting diggs and thielen developed into the player he's become, but the only real capital they invested in WR recently was laquon treadwell, a huge bust. before that, cordarrelle patterson. before that, percy harvin who was dynamic but more of a gadget guy then a true receiver. 

tbh i'd say the only quality receivers they've drafted since randy moss were sidney rice and stefon diggs (thielen being a UDFA)

4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Tom Brady

James Develin*

Sony Michel

James White

Brandon Bolden

Isaiah Wynn

Joe Thuney

David Andrew*

Ted Karras

Shaq Mason

Marcus Cannon

Rob Gronkowski*

Ben Watson

Julian Edelman

N'Keal Harry

Jakobi Meyers

That's pretty much the entire starting offense, a majority of which won a Super Bowl in the last year, drafted or signed as an UDFA by the Patriots.

That's just the offense.

I will let other people argue with your logic here but I'm pretty sure the question was not how great is your team and instead was What are some teams that do not draft a particular side of the ball well

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I will let other people argue with your logic here but I'm pretty sure the question was not how great is your team and instead was What are some teams that do not draft a particular side of the ball well

I will let you gloss over the fact he said about the Patriots, "You people have to look to the free agency for almost everything."

Clearly, that is false.

Green Bay was last in the NFL in total defense (yardage wise) in 2011 despite going 15-1.

Green Bay then selected defense with its top pick every year from 2012-2019 and has spent 14 of its last 18 round 1 and 2 picks on the defensive side of the ball. 

The only 2 first round picks on the GB offense are Rodgers (2005) and Bulaga (2010).

Despite this focus on the defense, GB did not have a top 10 scoring defense between 2010 (when it was #1 and won the SB) and 2019 when it finished 9th overall.

In fact, the defense led by long-time coordinator Dom Capers was usually in the bottom half of the league (or worse).

The first round defensive picks include the likes of Nick Perry 2012, Datone Jones 2013, HaHa Clinton-Dix 2014, and Damarious Randall 2015 -- all of whom are no longer with the team.

Second round defensive bust picks during this time include Jerel Worthy, Josh Jones and Quentin Rollins (who?).

Oh, and GB's defense improved dramatically this season not primarily due to improvement through the draft but rather because they finally have a GM who is willing to sign free agents and thus added Za'darius Smith (13.5 sacks), Preston Smith (12 sacks), and Adrian Amos. (To be fair, the new GM hired in 2018 seems to have hit on CB Jaire Alexander and S Darnell Savage in round 1).

Is there a better case of a franchise that recently consistently failed to draft one side of the ball and failed the way Green Bay did?

Edited by TheOnlyThing

55 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Is there a better case of a franchise that consistently failed to draft one side of the ball the way Green Bay did?

Probably not a much better example, at least in that time frame, however Randall and the three aforementioned second round picks were all obvious busts as well were Nick Perry and Datone Jones obvious reaches at the time too.

3 hours ago, whitehops said:

i'd also say receiver. they got "lucky" with drafting diggs and thielen developed into the player he's become, but the only real capital they invested in WR recently was laquon treadwell, a huge bust. before that, cordarrelle patterson. before that, percy harvin who was dynamic but more of a gadget guy then a true receiver. 

tbh i'd say the only quality receivers they've drafted since randy moss were sidney rice and stefon diggs (thielen being a UDFA)

May as well add QB to the mix as well. Except for Culpepper, the Vikes just haven’t drafted and developed QBs since the 90s. Could even go as far back as the 70s since Tarkenton.