BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

Don't know what that means, but let's get weird

tenor.gif?itemid=5728640

Basically, if you added/re-signed them this past offseason, they are probably locked.  It's to keep owners from stocking up on FAs and trading them away immediately.

On your google doc, look under the roster status column.  If they have something in that column, they are locked.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

With all that being said, Horned Owl trade block. Get in on this fire sale! Need all the picks. 

QB Kirk Cousins
QB Jacoby Brissett

RB Peyton Barber
RB Gus Edwards
RB Josh Adams
RB Ty Johnson
RB Jerick McKinnon
FB Patrick Ricard
WR Adam Thielen

WR John Ross

WR Dede Westbrook
WR Byron Pringle
WR David Moore
WR Keesean Johnson
TE Jacob Hollister
TE Drew Sample

TE Jack Doyle

OT Alejandro Villanueva
OT Andrew Wylie
OG Andrew Norwell
OG Mark Glowinski
OG Will Hernandez
OC Matt Paradis
Edge Von Miller
Edge Dee Ford

Edge John Simon
INT Cameron Heyward
INT Michael Pierce
INT Hassan Ridgeway
INT Lawrence Guy
LB Blake Martinez

LB Jamie Collins
LB Elandon Roberts
LB Breeland Speaks
LB Kenny Young
LB Leon Jacobs

CB Desmond Trufant
CB Mackensie Alexander
CB Eli Apple
CB E.J. Gaines
CB Brandon Facyson
CB Michael Ojemudia
S Landon Collins
S Malcolm Jenkins

S Mike Edwards
S Julian Blackmon

Barber, Johnson, McKinnon, Ricard, locked

All those WR except Ross, Thielen, Moore locked

Wylie Locked

Simon, Guy, Martinez, locked

Trufant, Apple, Facyson, Ojemudia, Locked

Edwards, Blackmon, Locked

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

OK, so let me level with you all here. You decide whether you want me to continue in the league or whatever, but let me lay this all out for your honestly.

So I really had no idea what I was walking into when I took this team over.

I started with the season ready to begin and only a vague idea of what the rules were. From my understanding this team was abandoned for most of the offseason and didn't add any talent through free agency. All my picks were traded before I took this team over. My team is so riddled with injuries that I can barely field a team. This roster needs to be ripped up and re-shaped. There is no tactical advantage to me "tanking" because I have no picks, but me really spending all the time figuring out how to write up a detailed game plan is pretty pointless because my team really can't compete the way it is currently constructed and with the injuries I've endured and now this week I am losing several more starters from my already depleted team due to the COVID cancellation. The idea of spending all this time crafting a game plan, when none of you should vote for this injured riddled roster, seems rather daunting. 

So I'm not going to. My efforts this season will go to tearing down this mess and the building the team back when I have an real understanding of how this thing works next season. I'd rather spend my time learning how to build my roster, reading all of your gameplans and figuring out what is successful and not successful and then being ready to go for next season.

I realize that makes a competitive imbalance with whoever plays me getting a free win, so I get it if this isn't cool with the league and you'd rather replace me. But I figured, I would be up front and honest with how I am looking at this right now. 

I would say your assessment is spot in, it is a full rebuild.  Two things I suggest, one is to not get frustrated amd realize people have turned around situations like this pretty rapidly - HINT. Grab rookie and 2nd year players off waivers and use your IR selection when it hits each week.

Second addresses writeups...practice them, it will come.in handy down the road.  Not saying go nuts, because it sucks when you put in effort and get no votes.  Been there, every year.  Read other people's stuff, create your own style.  Writeups now look nothing like they did when we started.

If you're committed, roll through it, its too much fun when things are good.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

I would say your assessment is spot in, it is a full rebuild.  Two things I suggest, one is to not get frustrated amd realize people have turned around situations like this pretty rapidly - HINT. Grab rookie and 2nd year players off waivers and use your IR selection when it hits each week.

Second addresses writeups...practice them, it will come.in handy down the road.  Not saying go nuts, because it sucks when you put in effort and get no votes.  Been there, every year.  Read other people's stuff, create your own style.  Writeups now look nothing like they did when we started.

If you're committed, roll through it, its too much fun when things are good.

I want to see a writeup from the beginning 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Also, time is a bit of a major issue with me right now. I'm a HS teacher and I am spending triple the amount of time I usually do planning and grading at work. Usually I have time to mess around on here for decent chunk of time at work. That is not the case at least right now. Plus I supplement my salary with after school duties which are all cancelled right now, so I picked up a side job. 

Not to be one full of excuses, but it's just where I am at right now. I know I've been giving off this "I don't give a crap vibe" but I'm just lost as hell and have way less time than I thought to make myself not lost as hell.

I know that is all temporary, but like I said, just trying to be real with where I am at right now

Is there someone you know from FF that you could add in as a co owner?  Someone who might have time to look at games or roster moves?  Basically someone who can keep up with Rotoworld...there's lots.of roster info that comes by the tape.  

53 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

With all that being said, Horned Owl trade block. Get in on this fire sale! Need all the picks. 

QB Kirk Cousins
QB Jacoby Brissett

RB Peyton Barber
RB Gus Edwards
RB Josh Adams
RB Ty Johnson
RB Jerick McKinnon
FB Patrick Ricard
WR Adam Thielen

WR John Ross

WR Dede Westbrook
WR Byron Pringle
WR David Moore
WR Keesean Johnson
TE Jacob Hollister
TE Drew Sample

TE Jack Doyle

OT Alejandro Villanueva
OT Andrew Wylie
OG Andrew Norwell
OG Mark Glowinski
OG Will Hernandez
OC Matt Paradis
Edge Von Miller
Edge Dee Ford

Edge John Simon
INT Cameron Heyward
INT Michael Pierce
INT Hassan Ridgeway
INT Lawrence Guy
LB Blake Martinez

LB Jamie Collins
LB Elandon Roberts
LB Breeland Speaks
LB Kenny Young
LB Leon Jacobs

CB Desmond Trufant
CB Mackensie Alexander
CB Eli Apple
CB E.J. Gaines
CB Brandon Facyson
CB Michael Ojemudia
S Landon Collins
S Malcolm Jenkins

S Mike Edwards
S Julian Blackmon

Move and change your team name.  Portland sucks anyway.

Edited by pheltzbahr

8 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

Go find a pheltzbahr /SWaG thread from WF.  Those were fun.

Here is a @pheltzbahr v @Blue matchup from 2015.

Gotham

Offense - 2WR/2TE/RB Base

The aim for this week will be to control the clock with time consuming drives to punish the Gamblers tiny D Line and leave them gasping and on their heels in the second half. Jamaal Charles will get his customary 20+ touches, as we think our O Line will steamroll a front 3 consisting of 310 lb Dan Williams, 280 lb Jared Cook and 260 lb Cliff Avril. With single teams needed on on this group, we'll have plenty of freedom to pull an interior lineman to put a hat on Claymaker or an in the box safety, springing Charles for chunk gains between the 20s.

Big Ben picks up where he left off last season, looking like a Top 3 QB, and looking for the open man to move the chains. With Revis likely on Fitz, Ben will be targeting Landry, Eifert and Charles as primary reads throughout the day. As far as pass pro, Vegas doesn't overwhelm in that department by any means, with Avril and Matthews yet to record a sack this season. My O Line shouldn't have a problem containing them with 0 combined sacks given up this year, combined with only 1 holding call and 1 false start between them, we expect Roethlisberger to be clean most of the day and avoid sloppy drive killing penalties.

Defense - 4-2-5 Hybrid Nickel

We have the utmost respect for Rodgers and consider him the best QB in the NFL. The Gashslayers, however, have the best player in the NFL in JJ Watt. Watt draws an overmatched Jeremiah Poutasi this week and Aaron can expect to be bloodied, bruised and broken by the end of this game. With double and triple teams commanded on JJ, we should open up singles for WIlkerson, Ansah and Poe, with potential free rushes on blitzes for Barwin, Bowman and Chancellor.  

Limiting Vegas? ground game should be attainable with our elite run stoppers, as the recently benched Jeremy Hill and the pedestrian Doug Martin will fail to open up the Gamblers passing attack. Hill and Martin offer nothing in the pass game to keep our linebackers honest, our Front 6/7 should feast in the backfield with TFLs.

With 4 defenders rushing the majority of the game and an extra player or 2 likely staying in to help Poutasi with Watt, Rodgers is going to be looking at 7 players defending 4 receivers in routes. With the expected pressure, we think Vegas will be looking to pass in the short and intermediate range, so we'll have Kam Chancellor up in the box in a read/react Box S/SLB role most of the time, we're going to give him a lot a free reign. Rhodes draws the recently concussed Hopkins, Grimes on Jones and Norman on White. Lowery plays centerfield to play over the top of deep shots, shading to Nuk if multiple streaks are detected.  

We look to come to into Vegas and make a statement on their home turf. We expect an early challenge, but at the end of the day, the Gamblers can't compete talent wise and will wind up beaten and demoralized.

Las Vegas

Offense: With our passing game not playing as well as we'd like and facing JJ Watt this week, we've decided to embrace the run-blocking talent on our offense and use that to set up our passing game. We'll be using no-huddle a lot too in order to keep Gotham from subbing in fresh players.

Gotham always relies on pure talent to snuff out opposing running games, and we?re going to take advantage of that laziness. Our tackles and LG are all very good run blockers, while Sitton is one of the best all-around guards in the league. We'll leave Sitton one-on-one with either Watt or Wilkerson and double up the other on the opposite side on both run and pass plays. Poe is hurt and basically just a pass-down player for the IRL Chiefs right now, so we're not worried about leaving him singled against Wisniewski. Without a significant talent/numbers advantage, this leaves our TEs/FB free to man up with the linebackers and give the backs plenty of free yardage before contact.

We have three backs active this week and plan on getting all of them carries. We envision a 15/8/5 split for Hill/Martin/Johnson, although obviously the hot hand will get more. We'll use a 2 TE base set frequently, subbing in a FB for a TE at times as well. We want to avoid playing 3 WRs because we'd rather have Worrilow on the field than Norman.

As the game wears on, we'll start throwing out play-action passes and rollouts to take advantage of a tired defense which has poor coverage safeties and linebackers. We're going to stick to shorter stuff early on, with curls, slants, and outs to the receivers. We're not really worried about Barwin or Ansah taking Poutasi to task in pass pro, so we'll have a tight end chipping to his side before going out on their routes over the middle.

We want to methodically march down the field and just pound the defense all game long. We have the better quarterback and the better pass defense in this matchup, so if we can keep this game close, we'll be in great position to win it in the 4th and run out the clock on them.

Defense: We're not impressed with Gotham's offense at all. We can shut this group down with a good gameplan and our talent on the edges.

Larry Fitz is going to take a vacation this week on Revis Island. Jackson lines up against Landry, where he will be very aggressive. Landry is a good receiver, but he?s not burning anyone deep and Jackson is too good a corner to give up consistent yardage underneath. Burnett plays over the top as the deep safety (Searcy if Burnett is out).

Eifert has had a great start to the season, so we'll be lining up Harris or Matthews on him at the LoS and bracketing him with the box safety (either Searcy or Collins if Burnett is out). Owen Daniels has been a non-factor this season, so Preston Brown can handle him easily. If Sanu comes on as a third receiver, we'll bring playmaking DB Bradley Roby in to erase him.

With eight men in the box, we'll be able to slow down Jamaal Charles substantially. This is especially true since Gotham's offensive line is very underwhelming. Avril should have a field day vs. Jake Matthews, while the Claymaker should school the slow-footed Ferguson. Gotham's guards are also among the worst in the league. We'll rotate Crick in at DT and Curry at OLB on passing downs, with Claymaker moving to ILB and blitzing to get as much pass-rush juice on the field as possible.

Special Teams: They do their things.

6 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Too much spam and lag over there

I'm not slogging through that either., but I did find this gem I put up against footsy.

OFFENSE

We come out in our 3 Wide 1 TE 1 RB base.   With Matt Stafford enjoying a great season so far (+128.2 on the Gruden scale - currently 3rd in his Y Banana of the Year category), we will look to utilize his accuracy spreading the ball to our bevy of weapons.  D. Thomas (+96 in the height category) will look to overwhelm Jalen Ramsey (-41 in NFL experience scale - tied for last with all other rookies) on jump balls and designed screens.  Jarvis Landry (+99.69 on the dominating targets of your team metric) should be able to find room to separate from James Bradberry (+451 on the Burnt scale, 93rd out of 96 eligible slices of toast) and help move the chains.  Tyler Eifert has soared in games not missed (GNM) since returning from injury and will be Staffords first read in the Red Zone (RZ), where no one in the Orlando secondary can match his Slaytic minus BS algo.

Demarco Murray and Derrick Henry will continue to provide balance and wear out our opponent; they have the highest combined Punishment Distribution Ratio of any BDL RB tandem (6.2 Levellings/Game).  Along with their incredible thigh gap to neck metric of -9.2 and -11.4 respectively, they should run wild against Donkey Kong Suh (+481 Bleeding Vagina Scale) and friends.  Well, he has no friends except Kingston Hawke (+Infinity DBag rating).

TLDR - You didnt read it, but it was stone cold logic, trust me

DEFENSE 

As one sided as our offense is matching up against the AssSprays, the defensive matchup is beyond silly.  We expect a heavy dose of David Johnson with his impressive High Butt Plateau Measurement (+6.8cm above coccyx), but our guys up front can gain penetration based on the Orlando O lineman average leg bend (12.9 degrees - poor by NFL, let alone BDL, standards).

With the run game neutralized, we can get after Russ, whose Non-Linear Acceleration/Anal Sublimation number has fallen 82% from last year, to a horrific .86 seconds/parts per million.  For perspective, the only qualifying QB that scored lower is Tom Brady during the month of September.  Thanks Goodell!

With the game obviously lopsided already, we get to our secondary, the strength of our stop unit.  Sporting a 93% Average Shutdown Rate, not to mention their unprecedented Troll Composite Proportion (through 7 games) of Wraith squared, our corners are without comparison.  Against a wideout corps featuring Alshon Jeffrey and his team high (Skill players only) 6.3/1 sandwich to salad consumption rate, Orlando will be lucky to get one first down before the game is already won.

TLDR - All statistics are objectively irrefutable, I challenge you to find evidence otherwise;  I do this for a living

• Like 2