2020 Stupidity Virus Outbreak

Pastor Dillon

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

rockets never rebuild. the last time they picked in the top 10 was in 2006 and even then they traded the pick (rudy gay) for shane battier.  they would be mediocre at best before they completely rebuild plus like @Pastor Dillonsaid we have no picks going forward. 

Someone else mentioned that. The reality is that we do have some draft capitol moving forward. 

2021 we will have a 1st But it’s pick swapped with the thunder and someone else so we won’t get a very high pick. We probably run it back and use this pick on a mid season trade. 

2022 and 2023 we have our own picks outright 

2024 we owe the pick to the thunder but it’s top 4 protected 

2025 we have a 1st but it’s pick swapped with the thunder but it’s top 10 protected 

2026 we owe to the thunder but it’s top 4 protected. 

so we aren’t completely out of draft capitol, and the protections are in place in the event that we’ve tanked enough to get a rebuilding type pick. 

it seems as if Morey built in a 2 year fail safe if everything goes wrong, we have 2022 and 2023 that we can use to get a couple picks. 

Once the draft is over we can trade either our pick swapped 2021 pick or we can trade our outright 2022 pick now but we can’t trade away multiple firsts because of the rules that protect people like Daryl Morey from giving away the house. 

we all thought the CP3 deal was untradeable and it turns out it wasn’t. Just no one could even imagine a westbrook for CP3 trade happening. 

one hope would be that we get an amnesty from the players association and can cut Gordon or Westbrook after the 2021 season. Or perhaps a team like New York that just can’t get talent wouldn’t take Westbrook in a trade. 

I think being able to take that 40 million Westbrook makes and signing 2 or 3 covington/Tucker level guys would make us much better. Maybe sign a bench guard like a Dragic that could come in and run the offense without harden. 

I think small ball can work, but only if the small ball team can shoot 3s and we’ve got too many non shooters like Austin Rivers and Russell Westbrook. I should add Eric Gordon to the list but man he has been a good shooter his whole career but just has a broken shot right now. If he was hitting 35-38% in this series instead of 18% we would be moving on. Everyone said Gordon was the X factor that could put us over the hump and I believe it, but so far he’s been the y factor that put us under the bus. 

• Like 1

Word is coming out that Wastson's deal will not be some monster contract but more in line with the deals that Wilson and Rodgers signed. Somewhere around the 35 million per season mark. 4 year 130 million or so. 

If thats the case, I will take that. Its still a monster deal, but some people were talking over 40 million per season. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Word is coming out that Wastson's deal will not be some monster contract but more in line with the deals that Wilson and Rodgers signed. Somewhere around the 35 million per season mark. 4 year 130 million or so. 

If thats the case, I will take that. Its still a monster deal, but some people were talking over 40 million per season. 

I'd be estatic if this was the case. The shorter years would concern me - but I can't see a scenario where Watson is leaving Houston.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'd be estatic if this was the case. The shorter years would concern me - but I can't see a scenario where Watson is leaving Houston.

4 years is still better than 3. Especially when you add this season and the next in. He'll be here until he's 30.

It's also somewhat team friendly. I was scared of a 40 million a year, the fact that Deshaun is settling around 35 and doesn't want to try to compete with Mahomes makes me happy.

15 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Conley is on IR to start the season. Looks like Lonnie Johnson is starting week 1 against the Chiefs. Oh boy. 

Even with a fully healthy secondary we were bound to get evicerated by KC. Mahomes was going to go for 350+ and 5 TDs no matter who we had in our secondary... Same with Lamar Jackson, there was little question he'd crush the Texans secondary. Same with Ben in Week 3, same with Cousins in Week 4... You have to get to Minshew in W5 to find a QB that could be corralled, and even that is up for debate.

Conley on IR doesn't change much, but it gives us an ideal if Lonnie Johnson has what it takes to be a good pro. Last year was pretty bad for him, culminating in that debasing by Travis Kelce - Kelce took his V-Card that day, it can't really get worse than it did. So, he's got a chance to get back on the field, against a more reasonable matchup in Mecole Hardemen or Sammy Watkins. If it's another 10/136/3 sort of day for Johnson, we can make a safe assumption that Johnson isn't an NFL CB, and might need to prove his value on ST if he wants to continue in the league.

One potential silver lining is that this should give John Reid some snaps at boundary or slot CB. If the TC hype is real, we want Reid to get work against another team to better develop him...

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Even with a fully healthy secondary we were bound to get evicerated by KC. Mahomes was going to go for 350+ and 5 TDs no matter who we had in our secondary... Same with Lamar Jackson, there was little question he'd crush the Texans secondary. Same with Ben in Week 3, same with Cousins in Week 4... You have to get to Minshew in W5 to find a QB that could be corralled, and even that is up for debate.

Conley on IR doesn't change much, but it gives us an ideal if Lonnie Johnson has what it takes to be a good pro. Last year was pretty bad for him, culminating in that debasing by Travis Kelce - Kelce took his V-Card that day, it can't really get worse than it did. So, he's got a chance to get back on the field, against a more reasonable matchup in Mecole Hardemen or Sammy Watkins. If it's another 10/136/3 sort of day for Johnson, we can make a safe assumption that Johnson isn't an NFL CB, and might need to prove his value on ST if he wants to continue in the league.

One potential silver lining is that this should give John Reid some snaps at boundary or slot CB. If the TC hype is real, we want Reid to get work against another team to better develop him...

Let's not forget this is the first time with a new DC so KC isn't knowledgeable on how Weaver calls plays !!! That's another silver lining.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I stand by the opinion of, I was against trading D Hop, but I understood it. THE ISSUE I have is the lack of return value we received. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

it was still a terrible trade regardless.  i don't see how any Texans fan/media person can defend it.

Feel free to refute anything in the article. I'm not a fan of the trade, but the article makes a ton of sense.

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Man the most disheartening part of all this was how bad the offensive line was. It was terrible terrible terrible. Tunsil seemed to lock down whoever he had and Scharping seemed solid but Fulton and Howard didn’t look like they belonged on the field. 

I think Zach Fulton has reached his expiration date - he was good for a few games, maybe even a season or two. But, he's never been a great player with any major athleticism or football IQ, so his opponents are getting better and better, and he's really not.

I expect him to lose to pretty much anyone put in front of him. 

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think Zach Fulton has reached his expiration date - he was good for a few games, maybe even a season or two. But, he's never been a great player with any major athleticism or football IQ, so his opponents are getting better and better, and he's really not.

I expect him to lose to pretty much anyone put in front of him. 

I am really embarrassed that last year, I and about all of Texans social media, was crying that Fulton wasn't starting centre instead of Nick Martin. Fulton has really shown himself to be transparent, especially late last season + this game. I don't know if we have any other starting caliber guard's like Fulton though. Probably should just march him out there every week until FA and hope we can actually sign a lineman this time. 

• Like 1