2020 Stupidity Virus Outbreak

Pastor Dillon

Patrick Storm said hes logging off twitter until Friday, maybe something is coming up 👀 he's a good insider alongside PatDStat.

PatDStat said a week ago Texans weren't done with roster moves. Gotta hope this is something.

According to PFF we had the largest discrepancy between run blocking and pass blocking in the league. Basically we have one of the worst run blocking lines and one of the best pass blocking lines. We have all 3rd down backs and we’ve traded 2 for 1 in the WR department and have 4 TEs on board for next season. If we still run up the middle every 1st down, I’m gonna lose my mind. 

there’s zero reason for us to not have a 70/30 pass/run system this season 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

According to PFF we had the largest discrepancy between run blocking and pass blocking in the league. Basically we have one of the worst run blocking lines and one of the best pass blocking lines. We have all 3rd down backs and we’ve traded 2 for 1 in the WR department and have 4 TEs on board for next season. If we still run up the middle every 1st down, I’m gonna lose my mind. 

there’s zero reason for us to not have a 70/30 pass/run system this season 

Exactly. I described something similar in a random thread like yesterday or the day before. It might have been the comeback player of the year thread. David Johnson was still a top-5 passing down back last year. Production may say otherwise, but he was very reliable for Kyler Murray and a godsend in pass protection. It's what kept him on the field for most of the year (he still had some injury issues) when he was one of the least efficient rushers in the NFL while his teammates, Chase Edmonds and Kenyan Drake, were some of the most efficient. David Johnson could still play some wide receiver. And if you go back and look at the metrics, several years ago Duke and David were the two best running backs in the NFL when lined up either out wide or in the slot. 

You could set up a split-back formation with both Duke and David lined up to either side of Watson and rotate between one in pass pro and one running routes, both in pass pro, or both running routes on any given play and give linebackers serious trouble. 

The Texans should run to keep defenses honest, but they should NOT try to "establish the running game" unless a team is giving it to them. For reference, watch some film on the DC Defenders' offense. They actually had a very similar offensive personnel with two smaller backs that were better in the passing game. However, Pep Hamilton out-thought himself sometimes and on several games he tried to establish the run, which put their offense in bad situations on passing downs. Now, Deshaun Watson is much better than Cardale Jokes, but you still don't want to force him to constantly make big plays. 

In theory, their pass pro should be even better than last year with the RBs that they have, and he should also have more reliable outlet receivers on any given play. However, teams can't play super close the like of scrimmage with their safeties, because the Texans have several legitimate deep threats in Will Fuller, Brandin Cooks, Kenny Stills, and even Keke Coutee. Jordan Akins is more of a vertical tight end. But yeah, guys like Fuller and Cooks especially will DESTROY you if you don't back off the line of scrimmage. 

This Texans offense could be really fun.

7 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

This Texans offense could be really fun.

Or, it could be a disaster with BoB striving for 50/50 offensive production - which has been a staple of his tenure, constantly talking about offensive balance. 

I don't expect the shotgun draw on 2nd and 10 to go away...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Or, it could be a disaster with BoB striving for 50/50 offensive production - which has been a staple of his tenure, constantly talking about offensive balance. 

I don't expect the shotgun draw on 2nd and 10 to go away...

He actually runs lots of plays on 2nd and 10... They all just happen to be draws out of various shotgun formations.

• Like 1

Not getting into the political side of it, but Kenny Stills was arrested last night at a protest in Kentucky. His arraignment is scheduled for this morning. He’s been arrested on Felony charges. I suspect nothing comes of it but I wonder what the teams response, if any, will be. 

6 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Not getting into the political side of it, but Kenny Stills was arrested last night at a protest in Kentucky. His arraignment is scheduled for this morning. He’s been arrested on Felony charges. I suspect nothing comes of it but I wonder what the teams response, if any, will be. 

Oye... that's sort of big. Felony charges? 

• 3 weeks later...