2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

6 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

He is your pick because of an interview...

Do you know anything about him?

What scheme did he play in and does it match what we'll likely do? What's his motor like? Can he shed? How many pass rush moves does he have? What side does he rush from? Does he have any injury concerns?

Lol i see what you’re getting at. No i haven’t studied up on the guy. But the things i liked where how well spoken he was, which speaks to intelligence. They (Mayock and Charles Davis) asked him about the reps he took at DT in practice, he said it’s something he’s done before but he primarily rushes on the outside. That reminds me of what the Raiders did with Mack earlier this year. That sort of  versatility really peaks my interest, because having two players who can line up anywhere on the line is a nightmare to scheme against.

Obviously it’s January and things can change, but right now with how things stand and the players that will realistically be available he’s the guy that i would take. I don’t believe for a second that Barkley will be there at 9/10, no way does the best player in the draft fall that far. As far as the DBs, I’m very wary of Alabama DBs like Fitzpatrick. I just feel like a lot of Bama players peak in college. I’m more wary because no one can agree on a position for him either with people wanting to put him at CB. Honestly I can’t remember a Saftey switching to DB, it’s usually the other way around. And Roquan Smith I’m uncertain on because many here have said that he would need a good DL to keep him clean. At this time the raiders do not have that so Smith would be under utilized. 

Honestly i wrote the OP because i was hoping someone would be able to add to it. 

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-buzz-wednesday-night

The Oakland Raiders are one of the many teams who love Marcus Davenport of UT-San Antonio. And as I heard first-hand, they are considering the pass rusher with their first pick.

FWIW.... I've read the Raiders liked him going back a couple months. It's what first led me to check him out. So there could be some legitimacy to it.

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

He is your pick because of an interview...

Do you know anything about him?

What scheme did he play in and does it match what we'll likely do? What's his motor like? Can he shed? How many pass rush moves does he have? What side does he rush from? Does he have any injury concerns?

I'll give my take as I've watched a fair amount on him.

Played edge in a 4-2-5 scheme. Both sides of the ball depending on matchups from what I gather. Would fit in Guenther's 4-3 scheme where ever you want to line him up to rush the passer. He's multiple that way.

Coaches will love his motor. Strong hands, long arms, doesn't let blockers get to his body and no trouble disengaging. Can win with a bull rush, rip move and can bend the edge. Occasionally uses a spin move, but needs to develop that more. Unsure if he's had any injuries. 

My take.... he dominated his level of competition (and showed well against better schools like Baylor) but not just as an athlete. He has technique and plays smart. He will need to be coached up. He's to aggressive at time and will run right past a developing play in the backfield. Needs to diagnose better and see the ball. Needs to add some weight, has the frame to do it. Everything is there you want to develop. 

The Aldon Smith comparisons are valid. Long, athletic, powerful awesome first step. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Played edge in a 4-2-5 scheme. Both sides of the ball depending on matchups from what I gather. Would fit in Guenther's 4-3 scheme where ever you want to line him up to rush the passer. He's multiple that way.

Coaches will love his motor. Strong hands, long arms, doesn't let blockers get to his body and no trouble disengaging. Can win with a bull rush, rip move and can bend the edge. Occasionally uses a spin move, but needs to develop that more. Unsure if he's had any injuries. 

My take.... he dominated his level of competition (and showed well against better schools like Baylor) but not just as an athlete. He has technique and plays smart. He will need to be coached up. He's to aggressive at time and will run right past a developing play in the backfield. Needs to diagnose better and see the ball. Needs to add some weight, has the frame to do it. Everything is there you want to develop. 

The Aldon Smith comparisons are valid. Long, athletic, powerful awesome first step. 

Is he aldon or tanoh tho?

I see more tanoh

16 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Is he aldon or tanoh tho?

I see more tanoh

Tanoh had no pass rush moves, played straight up, off balance and had no natural pass rush ability.

Only comparison I see is they are both long, lean athletes.

Davenport is actually a football player with good technique, more explosive with a motor. He loves the game of football. He's more than just an athlete. 

5 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I know a lot of you guys like Smith, but what about Tremaine Edmunds?

I like Tre better than smith but I like derwin the most. I think tre's length adds an extra element smith lacks which also helps him stack and shed better and guard te's. Think Tre is a better tackler also

49 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Tanoh had no pass rush moves, played straight up, off balance and had no natural pass rush ability.

Only comparison I see is they are both long, lean athletes.

Davenport is actually a football player with good technique, more explosive with a motor. He loves the game of football. He's more than just an athlete. 

Senior bowl will be interesting cause he hasn't been really tested imo. 

8 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Lol i see what you’re getting at. No i haven’t studied up on the guy. But the things i liked where how well spoken he was, which speaks to intelligence. They (Mayock and Charles Davis) asked him about the reps he took at DT in practice, he said it’s something he’s done before but he primarily rushes on the outside. That reminds me of what the Raiders did with Mack earlier this year. That sort of  versatility really peaks my interest, because having two players who can line up anywhere on the line is a nightmare to scheme against.

Obviously it’s January and things can change, but right now with how things stand and the players that will realistically be available he’s the guy that i would take. I don’t believe for a second that Barkley will be there at 9/10, no way does the best player in the draft fall that far. As far as the DBs, I’m very wary of Alabama DBs like Fitzpatrick. I just feel like a lot of Bama players peak in college. I’m more wary because no one can agree on a position for him either with people wanting to put him at CB. Honestly I can’t remember a Saftey switching to DB, it’s usually the other way around. And Roquan Smith I’m uncertain on because many here have said that he would need a good DL to keep him clean. At this time the raiders do not have that so Smith would be under utilized. 

Honestly i wrote the OP because i was hoping someone would be able to add to it. 

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with most of @big_palooka's assessment. Long athlete that relies on his length and motor to make plays. The bull rush, bend the corner and spin moves are very few and far between but they should be as these aren't his strengths. He use them when they present a likely chance of getting to the ball quicker. Most of the time though, he engages with good punch, extends those long arms and looks for the ball. This is effective for him because of the strengths I have mentioned previously. More times than not you'll see him jumping to bat at a pass attempt, closing out the edge on a RB or scrambling QB or chasing down a play for the backside that was run away from him.

These things all put together, on top of the fact that I think he can get stronger and more explosive with the time, coaching and training the NFL allows, leds me to think he is a nice bookend to a great player like Mack if we do in fact play mostly standard 4-3.

Now is he worth a top 10 pick?

I don't know. I wanna see how big and strong he is and how he performs in the explosion drills. I want to see this to get a better gauge if there is more to add to his frame and playmaking ability athletically. If he has topped out with what I saw in college than I would say he is a low 1st rd early second  pick that someone may reach for if he is a good/great scheme fit. If he looks bigger, faster and more explosive than that is a good sign that he can be more and that moves him up the board IMO obviously.

Like @Chali21 had mentioned, I like his demeanor and the things he said in the interviews I've watched. I haven't found any off the field issues or major injury concerns so he is clean there so far.

A few sidenotes -

I think that some teams are playing some buzz games with players. It happens every year. I think he is the flavor of the day. We will see how long the rise lasts.

I watched 6(Baylor, TA&M, RICE, Marshall, N. TEX and TEX St) game clips (not highlights but in game snaps whether good or bad) of him and another guy that flashed for me is #90 DE Eric Banks. He consistently got pressure as well. I was disappointed to see he was only a sophomore. Will have to watch him next year.

Roughly where do you guys think Denzel Ward will get drafted. I have seen him mocked as high as #7 and also as low as about #27 - I feel like he is one of the better man-cover corners I have seen in a long while but is getting discounted a little by some because he is only 5-10?

48 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I like Tre better than smith but I like derwin the most. I think tre's length adds an extra element smith lacks which also helps him stack and shed better and guard te's. Think Tre is a better tackler also

I agree there. After looking at whole tape of both I think that is what separates them.

1 minute ago, SinCity said:

Roughly where do you guys think Denzel Ward will get drafted. I have seen him mocked as high as #7 and also as low as about #27 - I feel like he is one of the better man-cover corners I have seen in a long while but is getting discounted a little by some because he is only 5-10?

I'm really digging into this class of corners now and Ward is great in man coverage. Hips are crazy good and play the ball well in the air. Only guy that I would say that is better at those aspects of the position is Isaiah Oliver from Colo.

I can't place him draft wise other than saying that he has the skills to be a 1st rounder. I think it will depend on team fits and won't start even looking at that till after FA.

A guess would be in the teens because I think other corners will gain on him after the combine and pro-days. Specifically, Jaire Alexander, Jackson and Oliver. They may not over take him but they may muddy the waters some.

Archived