2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

20 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Well, if you actually read my comment you would see I said that it was early reports and they still had the game to play. It was said by the guys right before the game started in the lead in player thoughts. I also said that he didn't improve thru the process. The scouts saw the same things they knew he had but wanted to see more and didn't up to that point.

This is what Daniel Jeremiah said about him which gives his view that he did improve but also references the fact that some people felt differently:

'Davenport wasn't very effective in the first two days of practices here, and some people didn't really give him much of a chance to adjust to the environment at the Senior Bowl before criticizing him. He clearly needed that adjustment period because he was unstoppable late in the week of practices, and it carried over to the game. 

I thought he looked pretty good when I was watching him on Thursday and he certainly made his presence felt in the game. 

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

"watch film".....you mean youtube?? Funny numerous draft analysts comment on the same issues with Edmunds in regards to motor and play recognition. 

Yes, YouTube can be valuable if you didn't watch the get to watch very many San Diego State or Virgina Tech games live. And by YouTube I mean game cut ups of one player's snaps where they spend 10 to 15 mins showing you all the players plays in the game, not highlights. YES, I consider that film.

But I also use streaming sites to catch-up on full games so I can skip around and see how player do in different game situations and their sub rates.

But on Edmunds, I haven't found one analysis that found his motor to be an issue in the last month. Everyone that I read (Kiper, Jeremiah, Mayock, Zierein etc) all have him with good motor or they don't mention it at all. Only once have I seen his play recognition as a weakness. Others had it as a strength and I didn't see many times on tape where  he made bad read or was slow to the ball. There were a few tho. A few guys mention getting off blocks as an area he could improve. 

10 minutes ago, reddevil said:

This is what Daniel Jeremiah said about him which gives his view that he did improve but also references the fact that some people felt differently:

'Davenport wasn't very effective in the first two days of practices here, and some people didn't really give him much of a chance to adjust to the environment at the Senior Bowl before criticizing him. He clearly needed that adjustment period because he was unstoppable late in the week of practices, and it carried over to the game. 

I thought he looked pretty good when I was watching him on Thursday and he certainly made his presence felt in the game. 

Yeah, it's funny because I think it was Jeremiah who said that they didn't see the progression from him and pointed out specifically that he was a one gear player lacked inside counter or burst. I wish I could find video of it. It was right before the game started when the host asked the analysis who they like or wanted to see more from in the game.

But what you quoted tracks with an assessment I would have given from the game. We can't really judge the practices because we only get to see him in 2-5 snaps at the most.

I'd have no problem just pounding the defensive side of the ball early in the draft. On offense, IMO were fine with adding Gruden and a piece or two in FA plus a draft pick or two. Everything else should be focused on the defense. 

Round 1: Tremaine Edmunds, LB

Round 2: Da'Shawn Hand, DL

Round 3: Holton Hill, CB 

Round 4: Tim Settle, DT 

Just a rough idea, attack the defense and add speed and size at every level. Really liking Hill a lot and I doubt come draft day he makes it out of round 2. 

Great little article on Edmunds, put this guy at any LB and enjoy the show, he's gonna be special.

http://breakingfootball.com/2018-nfl-draft-young-money-tremaine-edmunds/

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I wouldn’t say Edmunds is elite at shedding blockers obviously but he is elite SL/SL. I’m not expecting a finished product with him coming out, he’s what, 20? 

What he is now coupled with his athletic tools, youth and vision I believe he can be turned into a do it all LB that can shed, stack, shoot and go SL/SL. We’ve all been clamoring for a LB like this for what feels like a decade. 

Not sure your stance as you didn’t add any comment with the tweet but that’s my thoughts on the comment. 

Also what really excites me about Edmunds is the potential for him as a pass rusher. He was underutilized at VT imo in that capacity. If he can realize his PR potential while being an adequate cover guy, that is a very rare player. 

13 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I wouldn’t say Edmunds is elite at shedding blockers obviously but he is elite SL/SL. I’m not expecting a finished product with him coming out, he’s what, 20? 

What he is now coupled with his athletic tools, youth and vision I believe he can be turned into a do it all LB that can shed, stack, shoot and go SL/SL. We’ve all been clamoring for a LB like this for what feels like a decade. 

Not sure your stance as you didn’t add any comment with the tweet but that’s my thoughts on the comment. 

Also what really excites me about Edmunds is the potential for him as a pass rusher. He was underutilized at VT imo in that capacity. If he can realize his PR potential while being an adequate cover guy, that is a very rare player. 

I agree with this. His upside is immense. 

All that tweet means to me is to pump the breaks a little. He has flaws and room for growth. He's not a finished product. He makes up for his mental errors and lack of instincts with pure athletic ability. Whereas Smith (who I prefer) wins with his awareness and instinct. His issues is in the trash. But uses his awareness to beat blockers vs. taking them on. Both have flaws....Edmunds size, speed are special. Just need the mental came to come up.

3 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I'd have no problem just pounding the defensive side of the ball early in the draft. On offense, IMO were fine with adding Gruden and a piece or two in FA plus a draft pick or two. Everything else should be focused on the defense. 

Round 1: Tremaine Edmunds, LB

Round 2: Da'Shawn Hand, DL

Round 3: Holton Hill, CB 

Round 4: Tim Settle, DT 

Just a rough idea, attack the defense and add speed and size at every level. Really liking Hill a lot and I doubt come draft day he makes it out of round 2. 

Great little article on Edmunds, put this guy at any LB and enjoy the show, he's gonna be special.

http://breakingfootball.com/2018-nfl-draft-young-money-tremaine-edmunds/

Edmunds is not a top 10 pick sorry!

Not sure what some are seeing in Hurst. I think people want him to be like Donald. He's not. He's an undersized gap penetrator. Gets out of position if he doesn't win off the snap. Re-directed easily by quality Olinemen. Reminds me of a smaller Tommy Kelly. He's a late 1, early 2 IMO. 3T who will find success in the right scheme.

Top 10..... hard pass. I wouldn't rank him in the top 25 players overall. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Not sure what some are seeing in Hurst. I think people want him to be like Donald. He's not. He's an undersized gap penetrator. Gets out of position if he doesn't win off the snap. Re-directed easily by quality Olinemen. Reminds me of a smaller Tommy Kelly. He's a late 1, early 2 IMO. 3T who will find success in the right scheme.

Top 10..... hard pass. I wouldn't rank him in the top 25 players overall. 

I love Hurst, I will say I disagree and we will wish we had him playing 3T for us applying pressure from the inside like we desperately need. 

Some guys I really like this year:

RB

Saquan Barkely, Penn St - no explanation needed but if he's there at 9 or 10 it's a no brainer. Top 5 grade.

Mark Walton, Miami - people are really sleeping on him because of his ankle injury this year.  if you watch his games pre ankle injury he is absolutely electrifying. He's on the smaller side but still runs with physicality and power. Round 1/2 grade.

Jordan Wilkins, Ole Miss - 4 start recruit who struggled with injuries earlier in his career but looked awesome this year and put up good production.  Really good all-around back with size, vision, and power. Round 3 grade.

TE

Hayden Hurst, South Carolina - Cook is getting older and only signed for 1 more year.  Hurst is an older prospect but he fits what Gruden wants as he may be the best all around TE in this class when you combine blocking and receiving. Round 2 grade.

OT

Tyrell Crosby, Oregon - fits our profile at OL.  Huge and violent finisher but also moves pretty well for his size.  Technique needs work but everything is there. Round 2 grade.

DL

Taven Bryan, Florida - perfect 3 tech fit for the new defense.  Freaky strength/power/speed combo, has the best get-off in the entire class easily.  Needs technique work and can be over-aggressive but has the tools to become a dominant interior pass rusher.  Top 20 grade.

Justin Jones, NC State - huge and explosive, great at using hands to shed blockers, killed the senior bowl.  Could be a 3 tech or a 1 tech.  Round 2 grade.

Andrew Brown, Virginia - former 5 star recruit who dissapointed in college playing as a 5 tech but flashes elite athleticism and burst on tape and dominated at Senior Bowl when used as a 1 gap penetrator (3 tech). Round 3/4 grade.

Edge

Bradley Chubb, NC State - no explanation needed but he would be a perfect fit in Guenther's defense if he somehow fell to 9 or 10. Top 5 grade.

Jeff Holland, Auburn - not necessarily a fit in Guenther's defense as he's more of a 3-4 edge but he's probably the best blend of twitch + bend in this class.  Could see him easily having a Ngakoue like impact immediately. I know CIN drafted Lawson and Willis last year so maybe he can fit in the scheme. Round 2 grade.

Duke Ejiofor, Wake Forrest - not the most twitchy or explosive but he has the size to be a 4-3 end and is excellent with his hands. Round 2 grade.

Chad Thomas, Miami - former high recruit who came on this year with a new coaching staff.  Perfect size + length for a 4-3 and lots of physical tools to work with. Round 4 grade.

LB

Leighton Vander Esch, Boise St - all around awesome LB.  Maybe not as athletic as Edmunds, Roquan, and Evans but his athleticism is sufficient and he lacks any significant weakness.  Insanely productive and looked very good in coverage. Round 1 grade.

Darius Leonard, South Carolina St - super athletic and productive.  Not very powerful but has sideline to sideline range and great in coverage. Round 3 grade.

Micah Kiser, Virginia - former 5 star recruit and leader of the team.  Bad athlete but makes up for it with instincts and powerful in the box. Round 4 grade.

CB

Mike Hughes, Central Florida - super physical and fluid. Round 1/2 grade.

Isaac Yiadom, Boston College - physical in run game, fluid hips, good in press man, allows little separation. Round 2/3 grade.

6 hours ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Mark Walton, Miami - people are really sleeping on him because of his ankle injury this year.  if you watch his games pre ankle injury he is absolutely electrifying. He's on the smaller side but still runs with physicality and power. Round 1/2 grade.

Hasn't been talked about much, but a terrific player. Just wonder if he can carry the load or he's a rotational back.

Archived