2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

16 hours ago, mct288 said:

Wanted to bring this discussion over here cause I was feeling bad about hijacking the free agency thread with draft talk.

Really like Tim Settle. If we go somewhere other than Vea, he is probably my next favorite for a NT type, and I don't think that's just my maroon and orange colored glasses talking. I agree with your assessment - has a relatively dynamic game for his stature. However, I do think his draft positioning will be consistent in comparison to Vea. He won't be able to work up and down the line as much - but a solid, solid prospect that should be a good value wherever he goes.

Don't know anything about Norton. Look forward to checking him out though.

What do you think about the Edmunds brothers? Legit ballers or just freak athletes? 

54 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

can't imagine barkley falling to 9/10 like that pff mock... but if he does not sure you can pass on that talent, even though im not a fan of drafting RB's early, generally.

that said, my one question about barkley is his short yardage power... pushing the pile for that tough yard. 

I doubt that Barkley falls to #9/#10. Irrespective of need I think someone will feel the weight of value in picking him before then.

However, this got me thinking. Most of the prospects we are favouring are defensive players - Chubb / Vea / Smith / Fitzpatrick / Ward etc. Given that Gruden is an offensive coach / mind, and therefore he may be judged more harshly if the offense / Derek Carr don't spark to life in year 1, could we see a more offense-orientated first two picks?

Maybe something like:

1. Courtland Sutton - outside of Barkley and the QBs the only offensive player worth a top 10 pick this year imho
  2. Sony Michel 

I would be really excited to see the offense next year with those two picks (especially if Crabs restructures and stays) but that would obviously leave our defense in trouble.

I think the Raiders have to choose what side of the ball they want to focus on because both have big problems.

On offense the Raiders need:

Tackles

WRs

RB

On defense they need:

CB

S

LBs

DE

DT

The list on defense is bigger but i think that if they neglect the needs on offense they be as bad as they where last year because this offense runs through Carr. If WRs can’t catch and Tackles can’t block then Carr won’t be effective at all. 

On 1/20/2018 at 5:44 AM, Rich7sena said:

He's more Ngata than Shelton, but my pro comp for him is Damon Harrison.

Hurst is more disruptive and I'm really starting to like his as our pick.

1. Maurice Hurst, DT

2. Rashaan Evans, LB

3. Quenton Meeks, CB

4. Rashaad Penny, RB

24 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

1. Maurice Hurst, DT

2. Rashaan Evans, LB

3. Quenton Meeks, CB

4. Rashaad Penny, RB

I agree with Maurice Hurst I will feel comfortable picking him where we at in the draft, maybe move back a little but not to far back because I believe some team will grab him up

15 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Why are you bumping other prospects convos with Hurst?

We all know you want Hurst.

Frankly, I think he is good player. Has elite burst and his best move is to bull rush with that burst that creates his deceptive speed and strength. My problem with him is that is his only elite skill/trait. Size for the interior and length, technique, hand punch are all good, not great and that doesn't spell top 10 to me. In the NFL, he won't be able to bull rush as many OGs as he did in college and you need your other traits/skills to help you win and I don't see him doing that consistently enough to make him a top 10 guy. I definitely wouldn't take him over guys like Fitzpatrick, Barkley, Chubb, Sutton, Nelson or James. Then you throw in the QBs that will go in that range and I don't see him breaking that plain logically. Not to mention, I see other guys in the teens to twenties range that do have those plus elite traits in more than one area like Smith, Ward, Jackson, Key, Vea, Evans, Miller, Payne, Guice and Andrews. 

9 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Why are you bumping other prospects convos with Hurst?

We all know you want Hurst.

Frankly, I think he is good player. Has elite burst and his best move is to bull rush with that burst that creates his deceptive speed and strength. My problem with him is that is his only elite skill/trait. Size for the interior and length, technique, hand punch are all good, not great and that doesn't spell top 10 to me. In the NFL, he won't be able to bull rush as many OGs as he did in college and you need your other traits/skills to help you win and I don't see him doing that consistently enough to make him a top 10 guy. I definitely wouldn't take him over guys like Fitzpatrick, Barkley, Chubb, Sutton, Nelson or James. Then you throw in the QBs that will go in that range and I don't see him breaking that plain logically. Not to mention, I see other guys in the teens to twenties range that do have those plus elite traits in more than one area like Smith, Ward, Jackson, Key, Vea, Evans, Miller, Payne, Guice and Andrews. 

I just see it with Hurst the same way I saw it with Aaron Donald, but all bets are off if Barkley makes it to us.

45 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I just see it with Hurst the same way I saw it with Aaron Donald, but all bets are off if Barkley makes it to us.

Donald is an anomaly IMO but we will see. Hurst will be at the Senior Bowl and that is where Donald first showed he was worth a 1st rd pick. Before that everyone had serious questions about the same things I mentioned in relation to Hurst. Donald dominated the practice and flashed in the game vs the best competition he'd seen up to that point. He proved his burst was backed up with technique. Hand use and leverage were crazy good and he still had the bull rush and rip. Then he followed it up with a great combine and pro day. It wasn't just about improving his draft status but also about showing he can hold up in the NFL. Hurst will have to something similar to prove he is in that company.

8 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Who is Marcus Davenport? Mayock is giddy over him. And Daniel Jeremiah has him going top ten.

Small school prospect from UTSA. Look him up, he is a beast. Early in the season I heard comparisons to Aldon Smith athletically and it certainly holds up.

Davenport certainly looks the part. Was a man among boys in the C-USA. He is the prime candidate to get the Aaron Donald, Hasson Reddick treatment this year. By that I mean he enters the offseason on the 2nd round radar, but all the buzz at Senior Bowl pushes him up to a high pick.

If his hype lives up this week and throughout the process, I wouldn't dislike the pick.

Archived