2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

I honestly think one of the most imperative things the Raiders must do in this draft is trade back in the first round and acquire at least one pick between rounds 2 and 4. I really think this draft has very good depth and the Raiders might still be able to pick up starting caliber players in these rounds. I particularly like the depth at corner going into round 3 and 4.

Right now, this is how I would approach the first four rounds. For the sake of the exercise let's assume no one is re-signed and no one is cut. The roster is as is.

Round 1: Trade back even if it isn't "fair value". Ideally, at least one of the top 4 QBs falls to 9 or 10. Unless Barkley or Chubb are there, there is anyone I must have at 9 or 10. Trade partners include: Arizona, San Diego, and Buffalo. Right now, I think Buffalo would be the likeliest of the bunch to make a move for a future franchise starter as they are loaded for draft capital in the first two days. Let's say it goes something like: 1.21, 2.53, and 2.56 for 1.9/10. According to Drafttek's trade chart, the Raiders in the trade by about 200 pts, but in the real world I think it's perfectly plausible. At 21, these are the guys I suspect will be there (that I like):

1) Maurice Hurst

2) Rashaan Evans

3) Joshua Jackson

4) Sony Michel

5) Da'Ron Payne

6) Taven Bryan

7) Ogbonnia Okoronkwo

8) Mike McGlinchey

9) Tyrell Crosby

10) Sam Hubbard

Even though he’s not the highest ranking player on this list, I believe the drop off between Michel and the next tier of runners is greater than at the other positions. I also believe Michel would contribute to more wins than any of the players on this list.

Early Round 2 (2.41): This is where I think the team needs to draft a RT for the present and a LT for the future. There are two guys who I think will be there who fit the bill:

1) Tyrell Crosby

2) Jamarco Jones

If Crosby is there, he's a no-brainer.

Late Round 2 (2.53, 2.56): Having these picks so close together is great for getting a complementary pair of players. Ideally, Sean Smith gets cut and replaced by a competent veteran corner in free agency (like Melvin, Fuller, or Breeland), but in lieu of any major moves, I order the remaining positional needs as follows: corner, defensive lineman, linebacker. This is how I’d have some of the possibly available players ranked:

1) Andrew Brown

2) Lorenzo Carter

3) Jerome Baker

4) Isaac Yiadom

5) Anthony Averett

6) Jaire Alexander

7) Harrison Phillips

8) Jeff Holland

9) Nathan Shepherd

10) Duke Ejiofor

Based on this list, I stay true to my board and go Andrew Brown and Lorenzo Carter. I’d love to get a corner here, but there are some starting quality players (and maybe a couple guys from this list) who should be available in the third round.

Round 3: This would be prime corner territory. I’d love to somehow get a second 3rd or 4th round pick and double up on the position. Alas:

1) Isaac Yiadom

2) Anthony Averett

3) M.J. Stewart

4) J.C. Jackson

5) Holton Hill

We'll go with my guy Yiadom -- who by the way will demolish the combine.

Round 4: Round 4 would be a good round to pivot back toward offense. Receiver will be a need regardless if Crabtree is cut or not. There are a handful of players I like who might be there in the 4th round:

1) Cedrick Wilson

2) D.J. Chark

3) Tre’Quan Smith

4) J’Mon Moore

I consider Cedrick Wilson the best of this group, but I'd be happy with any of them.

If the draft goes something like this, I'd be over the moon. Nearly every need and future need is addressed in some way.

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

My current top 10 mock...

1. CLE- Saquon Barkley, RB

2. NYG- Orlando Brown, OT

3. IND- Bradley Chubb, DE

4. CLE- Sam Darnold, QB

5. DEN- Quenton Nelson, OG

6. NYJ- Josh Rosen, QB

7. TB- Derrius Guice, RB

8. CHI- Josh Jackson, CB

9. SF- Courtland Sutton, WR

10. OAK- Minkah FitzpatrickDerwin JamesRoquan Smith, Maurice HurstVita VeaDenzel Ward

There will be some good talent when we pick I lean towards interior pressure.

Whoa..... Brown at 2? He's not even viewed as the top tackle in a bad class. Projected anywhere from bottom 1st to 2nd round and you have him as a top 5 pick?

Sutton might be a worse projection. Questions about his ability to separate (see Laquan Treadwell). Rumors he skipped the senior bowl because it would have exposed a lot of flaws while he work on his 40 for the combine to 'change opinions'. Regardless.... he's not a better WR than Ridley so just way off base 

No wonder you have project Hurst as a top 10 pick lol

Texas CB Holton Hill is a day 2 talent who will be drafted day 3. Suspended the last 3 games for violating team rules, his stock is down but he was an exceptional player.

Read a quote from Daryl Johnson that said something to the effect that teams need higher character players and characters who can play football. In other words, take some chances on these type guys.

Who are some other high talent players likely to drop over character issues?

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Whoa..... Brown at 2? He's not even viewed as the top tackle in a bad class. Projected anywhere from bottom 1st to 2nd round and you have him as a top 5 pick?

Sutton might be a worse projection. Questions about his ability to separate (see Laquan Treadwell). Rumors he skipped the senior bowl because it would have exposed a lot of flaws while he work on his 40 for the combine to 'change opinions'. Regardless.... he's not a better WR than Ridley so just way off base 

No wonder you have project Hurst as a top 10 pick lol

Yeah ok don't be jump on my guy's bandwagon after the combine either.

44 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Texas CB Holton Hill is a day 2 talent who will be drafted day 3. Suspended the last 3 games for violating team rules, his stock is down but he was an exceptional player.

He's good. Would love to see us take a shot on him in the 4th. Sounds like he was suspended for a failed drug test.

48 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Yeah ok don't be jump on my guy's bandwagon after the combine either.

Already aware he will perform well at the combine. He's the best 3Tech in this class. I'm not arguing that. Just think 10 is too high

That said, Guenther's system will require a quality 3Tech. Most assume that will be MEJ. So if you draft Hurst, where does MEJ go? I do think Hurst could thrive in Guenther's system. Again.... wouldn't hate it, just think there are broader needs and talents. 

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Already aware he will perform well at the combine. He's the best 3Tech in this class. I'm not arguing that. Just think 10 is too high

That said, Guenther's system will require a quality 3Tech. Most assume that will be MEJ. So if you draft Hurst, where does MEJ go? I do think Hurst could thrive in Guenther's system. Again.... wouldn't hate it, just think there are broader needs and talents. 

Edwards could play end. I'm not sure what his weight is now, but he played stand up end at a high level his rookie year. In rush nickel situations, Edwards could move inside next to Hurst if he's the pick.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Raiders rumored to like Jessie Bates III. Safety from Wake Forest. What I can find says he's a ballhawk centerfielder. 

Never heard of him. Just reporting rumors.

His name recently came up on the Move the Sticks podcast (Jeremiah and Brooks). Jeremiah stumbled upon him while perusing the combine invite list and said he was really impressed.

Still, I'm not putting any weight into rumors this far out from the draft. Especially for a player not expected to go in round one.

Tremaine Edmunds has really been overhyped. He's a pure projection pick at this point. He has a lot of flaws in his game mostly where it matters. Instinct and IQ. You're betting on him putting it all together on the next level. 

I can't touch that top 10. He's not remotely close to Smith in terms of football IQ from the LBB spot. He is as boom or bust as they get in the top 10 and some sources are treating him likes he's already a polished prospect. 

Has our current GM Reggie ever picked a lb in round 1 that would be a no unless the lb compares to joe green  or Ray Lewis the Raiders are not taking him.  Both Reggie and Gruden said we need to improve our Dline if we people coed  Payne or Vea teams would have to double either one and that would free up Mack.  Unless we fall in love with a CB I think we will go DT in round 1 best OT in round 2 cb in round 3 and back to edge in round 4.

45 minutes ago, RaiderFourLife said:

Has our current GM Reggie ever picked a lb in round 1 that would be a no unless the lb compares to joe green  or Ray Lewis the Raiders are not taking him.  Both Reggie and Gruden said we need to improve our Dline if we people coed  Payne or Vea teams would have to double either one and that would free up Mack.  Unless we fall in love with a CB I think we will go DT in round 1 best OT in round 2 cb in round 3 and back to edge in round 4.

With Gruden in the fold, you can throw away any past perceptions. Reggie showed his approach to the LB spot was a disaster. Still one of the weakest spots since he's been on board. CB and Dline not far behind.

IMO, they sign a DT in FA and go likely CB/LB in the draft. There is no value at DT in the top 10. 

Archived