2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

Looking at his draft profile, seems like he could be a good cost effective (Assuming his deal is near the minimum) piece for the LB platoon. 

Strengths

Transitioned from outside to inside in 2014. Highly productive downhill tackler. Has burst to the ball. Gap-responsible and tackles through his targets. Possesses straight-line speed to chase from sideline to sideline. Second-effort worker. Good in zone coverage. Team captain. Known as a prolific film-eater who spent hours studying and learning offensive tendencies with defensive coordinator. Can play multiple linebacker spots and can fit in just about every scheme.

Weaknesses

Can become a block magnet and stays wired for too long before disengaging. Despite the film work, still needs to improve on diagnosing and reacting quicker from inside. Very average lateral movement and footwork. Plays through a straw and is a little tight when asked to change directions. Overly aggressive. Breaks down in space a shade late and will miss tackles because of it. Suffered a torn ACL, causing him to miss action in 2013.

Draft Projection

Round 4 or 5

NFL Comparison

Desmond Bishop

Bottom Line

He's got the size, physicality and commitment to film work to play inside, but his instincts still need work. Ryan is a little stiff and stays blocked for too long, but his disengagement from blocks will improve with more reps inside. Faster than quick, he is scheme versatile and can fit inside or at the SAM linebacker spot in a 4-3. Ryan's productivity comes from toughness, play demeanor and physical tools. Teams could pigeonhole him as a "try-hard" linebacker, but they shouldn't.

Edited by sp6488

On 4/17/2020 at 6:24 PM, BaltimoreTerp said:

Trey Burton cut by the Bears. Feel like he'd be a good fit sliding into Hurst's spot as a rotational TE. 

On 4/17/2020 at 6:58 PM, sp6488 said:

I think DeCosta would ideally like to draft a guy in the 3-5th range to stack a cheap 4-year contract that would bridge Boyle's deal expiring, Andrews getting an extension, and the team eventually drafting a #2. If the price is right, though, I wouldn't mind it. Seems like there's a few FAs available though, team may be able to be picky. He could fit that move TE role decently, though.

The more I think about this, the more I like it IF the value/fit doesn't work out in the draft. 

Seems like he would fit Hurst's role quite well (Hurst was limited by the snaps he was getting IMHO - that is, he was good in the role, but could have done more). Something like 30 - 40% of snaps, if that, on offense as a move TE would protect him from injury and replace a lot of what we got from Hurst. He could rebuild some value and we'd get a quality option for something like $2 - $3M for the season (and no comp pick implication). While I'd like to see us get a cost-controlled TE in the draft, it could actually be better to defer that need for a year, then draft someone a bit more highly in 2021 to complement Andrews long-term.

I have a hard time viewing Ryan as anything substantive. Dude hasn't done a thing on the field in two years. To me it's a signing that means absolutely nothing in terms of adding another linebacker at any point in the draft or with another free agent addition. He's a cheap lotto ticket. 

Burton would be nice. If there's any sort of competition for him I doubt his option would be Baltimore though. Third tight end is a tough sell, especially after Hurst forced his way out. The team probably has to go with a draft pick or some veteran on a minimum deal. There's quite a few of the latter still out there on the market. Lots of them with durability concerns, but for the role needed that might not be a huge deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

The more I think about this, the more I like it IF the value/fit doesn't work out in the draft. 

Seems like he would fit Hurst's role quite well (Hurst was limited by the snaps he was getting IMHO - that is, he was good in the role, but could have done more). Something like 30 - 40% of snaps, if that, on offense as a move TE would protect him from injury and replace a lot of what we got from Hurst. He could rebuild some value and we'd get a quality option for something like $2 - $3M for the season (and no comp pick implication). While I'd like to see us get a cost-controlled TE in the draft, it could actually be better to defer that need for a year, then draft someone a bit more highly in 2021 to complement Andrews long-term.

Again I wonder if there is any tread on the Delanie Walker tire. He’s been injured the past two years but maybe in hursts role he could thrive as a one year prove it deal. Not sure what he’s like as a blocker though

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

I have a hard time viewing Ryan as anything substantive. Dude hasn't done a thing on the field in two years. To me it's a signing that means absolutely nothing in terms of adding another linebacker at any point in the draft or with another free agent addition. He's a cheap lotto ticket. 

Agreed.  He played 1 snap on defense last year, and its not like the Jags were some world beating defense where he was just stuck behind quality players.  And the fact that he only played ST in 2 games doesn't help him either, because we all know how Harbs feels about even rotational starters needing to play ST.

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Burton would be nice. If there's any sort of competition for him I doubt his option would be Baltimore though. Third tight end is a tough sell, especially after Hurst forced his way out.

Is 3rd TE in our offense all that different from 2nd TE in most other offenses in the NFL?  Despite all the talk that Hurst was being underutilised, he still ended up with the 38th most targets by a TE last season, and I would think that getting that many looks would be a good situation for a guy like Burton and I can't see him getting a shot at a starting TE role anywhere

15 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Is 3rd TE in our offense all that different from 2nd TE in most other offenses in the NFL?  Despite all the talk that Hurst was being underutilised, he still ended up with the 38th most targets by a TE last season, and I would think that getting that many looks would be a good situation for a guy like Burton and I can't see him getting a shot at a starting TE role anywhere

Maybe, but I would expect the wide receiver group to be significantly more involved going forward. Especially/hopefully after another quality target is added in the draft. With both Brown and Boykins another year along as well as having someone else besides Roberts out there running routes the targets should be heading more towards the wide receivers. I would be pretty surprised if the third TE had that many targets again, and the team isn't going to have the investment in that third TE that they had in Hurst either. Well... crossing my fingers we don't see a tight end drafted in the first round at least.

11 hours ago, drd23 said:

Agreed.  He played 1 snap on defense last year, and its not like the Jags were some world beating defense where he was just stuck behind quality players.  And the fact that he only played ST in 2 games doesn't help him either, because we all know how Harbs feels about even rotational starters needing to play ST.

I think you have this conclusion backwards. He missed the first 12 games of the season then when he came back the only action he saw was ST for two games. That actually works for him I think re: rotational guys needing to play teams. 

“Ryan, who spent the first 11 games of the season on the reserve/non-football injury list, was injured during Week 14's 45-10 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers and did not return. Ryan played 13 special teams snaps vs. the Chargers before injuring his hamstring. He played 25 special teams snaps in Week 13 vs. the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He did not take a defensive snap with the team after signing as a free agent this past offseason.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/jaguars-add-two-players-place-jake-ryan-on-injured-reserve

Also, in GB, he played ~25%, 25%, and ~50% of ST snaps in the 2015-2017 seasons, respectively. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2017-snap-counts.htm

Edited by sp6488

40 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What would y'all offer for Kwon?

San Francisco could be taking a nearly $9 million cap hit by trading him before June 1st. I don't think that's a move happening before then. And if the Ravens were interested, hopefully nothing much. He has major durability concerns and practically needs to be cut after this upcoming season to avoid those $12.5 million base salaries. 

• Like 2