The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

34 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

I can’t fault Magny in any way because it was a dominating fight and he wasn’t really stalling or anything....but man was that a boring fight

at least neil was trying for stuff. i get grappling can be boring but he was attacking the whole time. the main was actually boring, 10 leg kicks doesnt change it for me when rakic played it as safe as possible on the ground.

Edited by GSUeagles14

5 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

at least neil was trying for stuff. i get grappling can be boring but he was attacking the whole time. the main was actually boring, 10 leg kicks doesnt change it for me when rakic played it as safe as possible on the ground.

Oh no doubt Magny was working for stuff, just wasn’t anything actually technical or chess match type grappling going on that I tend to find entertaining. Just one guy completely overpowering and holding down another guy. 

So, how do the LHW rankings go after that? Can you have Rakic jump Volkan despite recently losing to him? Don't see how you put Rakic ahead of Jiri Prochazka considering Jiri floored Volkan. So, Jiri has to be #5 IMO, #4 after you crown a champ.

We've got Reyes-Blachowicz and Glover-Santos coming up so do you wait or do you book Jiri vs Rakic?

man I'm shocked to see hate for Magny all over twitter after that fight. Must just be the love for Lawler, but Magny's always an interesting fighter to me. He's high volume, always working, whether it's in the clinch, on the ground, standing, he's always active. I never saw him as a boring fighter.

Feel like a lot of people are really salty about Lawler losing.

Other take I see is that Lawler looks bad now, which I don't think it accurate either. He clearly doesn't have the same fire as when he was champ or making a run to the belt, sure, but he looked really dangerous on the feet pressuring Magny in this fight. You've just got to give Neil his dues. That was a great fight, he did a fantastic job of neutralizing Robbie's pressure and fighting where he wanted to be fighting.

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

So, how do the LHW rankings go after that? Can you have Rakic jump Volkan despite recently losing to him? Don't see how you put Rakic ahead of Jiri Prochazka considering Jiri floored Volkan. So, Jiri has to be #5 IMO, #4 after you crown a champ.

We've got Reyes-Blachowicz and Glover-Santos coming up so do you wait or do you book Jiri vs Rakic?

Gotta see Jiri vs Rakic and Glover/Santos for the belt. Think it's kinda premature for Rakic to be calling for the title shot, but then again, there aren't any clear cut contenders, except maybe if Glover beats Santos.

Shame about Smith, he's a likeable guy, but it seems he's either outmuscled by guys at 205, or he's just not quite good enough. Two fights in a row now he ended up getting beat up on the bottom. Could be due to a strength difference, or maybe he's just too comfortable off his back. Similar deal against Jones too.

8 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Smith is just one of those unfortunate cases of never being able to fully perform when the brightest lights are on him.

IS Smith even that good? I mean he beat Rashad and Shogun...then Volkan who after the fact doesnt appear to be a major player either. Dominated by Jones and then beat an already defeated Gusty

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I cant imagine he should wait. Rakic needs another fight. Glover/Santos winner gets the next shot. Book Jiri v Rakic. Makes all the sense in the world by availability, timing and ranking

I think Rakic totally dominating Smith matters more than a close fight with Volkan, wouldn't surprise me if Rakic jumps Volkan

5 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Gotta see Jiri vs Rakic and Glover/Santos for the belt. Think it's kinda premature for Rakic to be calling for the title shot, but then again, there aren't any clear cut contenders, except maybe if Glover beats Santos.

Shame about Smith, he's a likeable guy, but it seems he's either outmuscled by guys at 205, or he's just not quite good enough. Two fights in a row now he ended up getting beat up on the bottom. Could be due to a strength difference, or maybe he's just too comfortable off his back. Similar deal against Jones too.

Why is Santos not a contender if he beats Glover? I mean he fought for the belt and a super close fight with Jones. Feel like that would be enough after beating Glover too as well as a win over Jan. 

5 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

man I'm shocked to see hate for Magny all over twitter after that fight. Must just be the love for Lawler, but Magny's always an interesting fighter to me. He's high volume, always working, whether it's in the clinch, on the ground, standing, he's always active. I never saw him as a boring fighter.

Feel like a lot of people are really salty about Lawler losing.

Other take I see is that Lawler looks bad now, which I don't think it accurate either. He clearly doesn't have the same fire as when he was champ or making a run to the belt, sure, but he looked really dangerous on the feet pressuring Magny in this fight. You've just got to give Neil his dues. That was a great fight, he did a fantastic job of neutralizing Robbie's pressure and fighting where he wanted to be fighting.

Agreed 100% I just think Lawler is wildly loved by all for his brawling style but the path to victory is getting him down. Kind of like Pettis although he has BJJ. No one wants to see Pettis vs a grinder