The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

19 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Did he outpace him that much? At the very least the fight was razor thin going into the 5th, but thats about all I remember. I dont remember output/sig. strikes etc

He outstruck Colby by like 40 over 5 rounds. Covington is a cardio freak that puts crazy pressure on guys and he outlasted him before finishing him in round 5 and that fight was purely striking. We've see Usman go 5 rounds in each of his last 5 fights, Burns has only done it once. Not to mention Burns is/was a guy that can make 155 while Usman is a guy that could comfortably fight at 185. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He outstruck Colby by like 40 over 5 rounds. Covington is a cardio freak that puts crazy pressure on guys and he outlasted him before finishing him in round 5 and that fight was purely striking. We've see Usman go 5 rounds in each of his last 5 fights, Burns has only done it once. Not to mention Burns is/was a guy that can make 155 while Usman is a guy that could comfortably fight at 185. 

All valid points, we dont know exactly what Burns cardio is but he certainly hits harder than Colby and even if his cardio isnt as good, taking bigger shots will wear out Usman. 

Still Usman/Colby was a helluva fight and I wouldnt mind a rematch there 

Kattar had an interesting thought about his fight with Max because people still talk about him being "robbed" and he's been asked about it in recent interviews. Hope Max is ready for Calvin and not thinking about Alex

Also super stoked to see Ponzi back in a few weeks. Cant believe its been 2 whole years since he fought

Buckley back again for his 3rd fight in 3 months, Di Chirico needs a win or he's gonna be done

37 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I've got time for you to put your thought together

Seriously though this sucks. Whether its Magny or Chiesa, it sucks for Leon

It sucks for leon, but HE couldn't fight on the original date due to covid...but chimaev is ducking him...lmao

AND

He's Khabib 2.0...the man best known for ducking fights....hahahahaha

• Like 1

Holland vs Chimaev is what I want.

Burns has a shot at beating snoozeman. His BJJ is on point and is definitely a better Striker. Usman looked like a good striker against Colby but Colby is the worst striker in the top 10 at 170. I don't think Burns is DEFINITELY gonna win, but he's got a way better chance than Masvidal. 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Chimaev pulls out of his fight against Edwards. Khabib 2.0, that boy don't really want the smoke. 

I haven't seen this. Is it true or are you screwing with us? lol

On 12/25/2020 at 5:48 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Everyone is a strong word I suppose but when ive seen/heard people talk about the fight I hear:

Burns is the better striker(maybe?) and BJJ guy(duh)

Will Usman be afraid to take him down if he can?

What is his path to victory?

This is a common misconception. That (x) wrestler will be afraid to take (x) jiu jitsu guy down.

In MMA, where top position is key and strikes are involved, it's pretty rare that a wrestler would want to completely avoid the ground game, even being on top.

I'd wager this is especially true for Usman, as his top control game is phenomenal.

It's only really edge cases with the best of the best BJJ guys, like a Maia or Ortega, where wrestlers don't want anything at all to do with grappling.

Perhaps I'm not giving Burns enough credit here. But I think it's more other people are not giving Usman's grappling enough credit. He's not just takedowns, his MMA jiu jitsu and top control is top notch.

He took RDA down 12 times and held top position for 18 minutes in their fight, so I think he's quite confident he can hold his own against black belts.