The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

On 2/22/2022 at 8:58 AM, beekay414 said:

How often has the lighter weight actually been the headliner tho? I think they only did it for Conor and, maaaaaaaaaybe, GSP.

I believe this is correct. Also there might've been a female champ main event in there somewhere where she was higher on the card over a heavier male champion.

21 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Of all the fights I go back and rewatch, that Gaethje Ferguson tilt still just hits different. Felt like a piece of Ferg was killed that night. Being able to hear the shots so clearly because of no fans adds an element as well.

Yea that one really stung. Not that i dont like Gaethje or anything but Ferguson has been one of if not my favorite fighter for a long time. Gaethje was simply better. 

10 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Nothing I'd love more than to see the Makachev hype train fall off the tracks but I think the only ones who can do it is chucky olives

And even that is questionable...what would be great is to see Makachev beat Oliviera at his own game, and get a submission.  Oliviera can go back to being the journeyman he once was!

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

And even that is questionable...what would be great is to see Makachev beat Oliviera at his own game, and get a submission.  Oliviera can go back to being the journeyman he once was!

Thats the best part of that matchup. Islams best chance is to get it to the ground and win there but thats obviously the most dangerous spot too. I think Olives is better standing up

6 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Ahh yes, very questionable that the guy with the most submissions in UFC history would have trouble doing it. I think Chucky finishes him in the 3rd or 4th. 

only Russian champ we see at the end of the year is Chimaev

23 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Ahh yes, very questionable that the guy with the most submissions in UFC history would have trouble doing it. I think Chucky finishes him in the 3rd or 4th. 

only Russian champ we see at the end of the year is Chimaev

Oliviera has been great the last few years no doubt...but let's not forget that there was a stretch between 2011-2017, where he was 8-7.   Had losses against Lamas, Swanson, and Felder in that time!!!!!  

44 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Oliviera has been great the last few years no doubt...but let's not forget that there was a stretch between 2011-2017, where he was 8-7.   Had losses against Lamas, Swanson, and Felder in that time!!!!!  

That stretch started when he was 20 years old and I was finishing high school. Not to mention he had no business fighting at 145.