The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

If Korean Zombie were to somehow upset Volk he'd be the first male Asian champion in the UFC, correct? Pretty crazy there hasn't been one yet. 

We've had some mixed asian champs like Lyoto, BJ Penn, etc. And IIRC Yan is 1/4 Chinese. No one for the Asian market to truly get behind and hang their hat on though.

I watch a lot of SK variety shows and whenever they have guys like Dong Hyun Kim and Sung-Hoon(Yoshihiro Akiyama) on they frequently refer to them as 'UFC Champion'.... it's a little weird. 

Zombie is definitely less famous over there, but the country would go absolutely crazy to have him as champion. Fanatic support is put behind any of their countrymen. 

Caol Uno came closest in his draw with BJ for the vacant LW strap. Kyoji took a round off DJ after being rushed into a title shot(Which was a giant mistake as Kyoji was uber talented and could've had a bright future in the UFC as it's Asian star imo). Okami got a title shot against Silva. Sakurai got a title shot against Hughes. Zombie had a previous shot against Aldo. Nothing has stuck though, there just seems to be a wall they can't break through. An issue that isn't present in boxing as there's typically multiple Asian champs.

I don't see Doo-Ho Choi turning it around, Li Jinliang is likely just a WW top 10-15 gatekeeper, and Da Un Jung isn't on the same level as the class of that division. IDK I think we're still gonna be waiting on that Asian star for awhile. 

It wasn't too long ago that everyone was talking about the lack of European champs and not soon after you had Joanna, Conor, Bisping, and even Jan Blachowicz. So you never know what's on the horizon. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

If Korean Zombie were to somehow upset Volk he'd be the first male Asian champion in the UFC, correct? Pretty crazy there hasn't been one yet. 

We've had some mixed asian champs like Lyoto, BJ Penn, etc. And IIRC Yan is 1/4 Chinese. No one for the Asian market to truly get behind and hang their hat on though.

I watch a lot of SK variety shows and whenever they have guys like Dong Hyun Kim and Sung-Hoon(Yoshihiro Akiyama) on they frequently refer to them as 'UFC Champion'.... it's a little weird. 

Zombie is definitely less famous over there, but the country would go absolutely crazy to have him as champion. Fanatic support is put behind any of their countrymen. 

Caol Uno came closest in his draw with BJ for the vacant LW strap. Kyoji took a round off DJ after being rushed into a title shot(Which was a giant mistake as Kyoji was uber talented and could've had a bright future in the UFC as it's Asian star imo). Okami got a title shot against Silva. Sakurai got a title shot against Hughes. Zombie had a previous shot against Aldo. Nothing has stuck though, there just seems to be a wall they can't break through. An issue that isn't present in boxing as there's typically multiple Asian champs.

I don't see Doo-Ho Choi turning it around, Li Jinliang is likely just a WW top 10-15 gatekeeper, and Da Un Jung isn't on the same level as the class of that division. IDK I think we're still gonna be waiting on that Asian star for awhile. 

It wasn't too long ago that everyone was talking about the lack of European champs and not soon after you had Joanna, Conor, Bisping, and even Jan Blachowicz. So you never know what's on the horizon. 

Song Yadong has a shot. He's only 24. He's beaten Chito Vera and Casey Kenney already. That loss to Kyler Phillips is nothing to scoff at. Phillips is an insane athlete. Believe he just beat a dude that has some quality wins too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Song Yadong has a shot. He's only 24. He's beaten Chito Vera and Casey Kenney already. That loss to Kyler Phillips is nothing to scoff at. Phillips is an insane athlete. Believe he just beat a dude that has some quality wins too.

Forgot about him. Certainly can't rule a U25 out.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Will be funny what people say to avoid Khamzat if he beats Burns. "Well he's really only beat 1 good fighter." I can already hear it.

True and whats funnier is Chimaev beating Burns at this stage is probably a better win than anyone Edwards has beaten at the time in their career

On 3/8/2022 at 6:31 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What are the fights that aren't announced yet that you really hope to see this year or next? Here are a few of mine:

Usman v Chimaev

Yan v Cejudo

Ngannou v Jones

Oliveira v Islam

I mean Usman vs Chim for sure. May be the two best in the world right now. Might be too early to say that about Chim, but it’s certainly debatable. 

Not too often we get to see the two best P4P go head to head, since usually they are in different weight classes. Jones vs Cormier is one example of seeing it, and Also vs Connor may be another, although debatable.