The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

See that is very much in play and I hadn't thought about that. Pav/Tommy winner could very well just get promoted to undisputed if Bones/Stipe winner retires...I just dont think Bone retires though 

Pretty sure he's hinted at Stipe being his last fight. Plus, Bones picked his HW fights strategically. He's going to put Gane and Stipe on his resume, knowing they were two of the easier matchups for him, and pocket his GOAT status. He'll never risk that against a guy like Tom or Pav. 

I just don't think interims work if the winner doesn't fight the champ when they come back. We're just gonna sit around with 2 HW champs for like a year? 

So the UFC is planning on rebooking Jones vs Miocic deep into 2024, but they're also going to have an interim title fight? That means Jon will somehow defend the 'real' belt against Stipe, then they'll both retire, and whoever has the interim belt at that time will then be promoted to undisputed HW champ.... That's some boxing level belt work right there 😅.

• Like 1

If Leon Edwards has a brain in his body, he gets on the mic after beating Covington at UFC 296 and SCREAMS for a fight against McGregor at UFC 300.

All of the logic DC is using here to justify a fight against Islam can be better applied for a matchup against Edwards at UFC 300

- Conor is on 2 fight win streak at 170(Former champions of other divisions have had to do less for title shots in new divisions), and just in general much dumber title shots have been given out in the past.

- Having the first 3 division title challenger bout come at UFC 300 would be symbolic and the super fight the card deserves.

- The WW division needs more eyes and hype than 155 does, and a McGregor fight would have secondary effects that boost the profiles of all subsequent title challengers. 

- McGregor will get destroyed, but Oscar De La Hoya got destroyed by Manny when he fought him well past his prime too. Who cares, it's a fun fight. You have the built in Ireland vs England thing, and there's a reasonable expectation that Leon will be fine with a stand up fight so the weight disparity in grappling won't be a major narrative going into the fight. 

That feels like the perfect main event for UFC 300 to me, IF Leon beats Colby. 

5 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Nobody on earth wants to watch Islam eat Conor for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Maybe Leon/Conor but I doubt that too

People who hate Conor love watching him get beat up, and over a million people bought the McGregor-Cowboy fight which we all knew wasn't going to be competitive. So I don't see why a huge fight at UFC 300 wouldn't sell.

9 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Dana is paying Stipe and Jon to both skip out until ufc 300 because he has no better options

Jon will be out way past UFC 300, I think he's dealing with an 8 or 9 month injury.

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I just don’t buy that Jones a 3 year gap from fighting only to take 2 fights at HW. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/ufc-heavyweight-champion-jon-jones-says-he-may-retire-after-expected-fight-with-stipe-miocic/

"I think the Stipe fight will be plenty for me," Jones said. "I feel like I don't have too much to prove after beating Stipe Miocic. I've been in the game for a long time. In fighter years, I'm an old guy. I've been training a long time and been in the game a long time. Got some small injuries. I just really want to be around. I want to be around for my family, be around for my kids. I want to be able to play with my kids, have a good head on my shoulders. ... I could see it coming to an end really soon and I'm happy with that. I'm really proud of my career."

53 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Stipe isn't in his best prime anymore, maybe,  but he's still a top 5 heavyweight fighter 

Stipe will be 42 coming off a 3+ year layoff and 4+ years since his last win. I generally don't think much of the HW division but it's a bit of a stretch to presume he'll still be viable against Top 5 talent. 

Couture fought deep into his 40s but that was also the Pre USADA era, so who knows what vitamins "The Natural" was dealing with.

10 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I mean, I still want Stipe vs Jon. The 2 GOATs of the Heaviest Weight classes as long as we aren't counting Fedor. Stipe isn't in his best prime anymore, maybe,  but he's still a top 5 heavyweight fighter 

At this point Stipe isnt at that level though so the whole GOAT thing is irrelevant. Like i had no interest in GSP v Khabib when that was talked about bc GSP was so much older than when he was GOAT

• Like 1