The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

Full props to Ilia - he proved he could take the step up.   

Would have made a FORTUNE if Volk won - but still made out great with the 3-parley card coming in with Lemos & Whitaker...and then because Volk was the last fight of the night and I had 4 parleys all winning with him, I could hedge for 20 percent winnings with Ilia +120 ML - so it's still a great night $$.    Whitaker, Lemos, Dvashvili, Fluffy & Barlow all winning made it a profitable night with single plays, but then 4-leg, 6-leg wins and then hedging the 8-leg and another 3-card parley with Volk as the last leg (see above), great night.

Max-Justin for BMF takes on a LOT more meaning - because Max might be the only guy to take out Topuria out of the top 5 left.   Volk rematch likely happens sometime, but Volk needs some time off.   And his chin might just be done.   It's too bad, he was up 1-0 already, and leading until the flurry - but Topuria was also dictating the pace and spacing, if Volk can't get him to get back on his back foot, he has to be perfect in his defense - and we saw what happened the 1 time he wasn't.

If Max wins, I suspect we get Topuria - Max....and if Ilia wins again, then we get a massive headliner - Ilia - Conor.

Edited by Broncofan

Even though Volk won the first round, it just felt different than all his other fights. I felt Illia was applying the pressure and pushing Volk back, and to his credit Volk was fighting well being the “matador” but it felt like it was only a matter of time before Ilia connected with something big. 

Volk, imo, should be done with FW division. Take some time off and go up to LW for a few fun fights. But i have a feeling hes going to try to rush and get this back and Illia might put him out worse. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Alex Pereira vs Jamahal Hill is the UFC 300 main event

Didnt Hill just tear his achilles? How is he able to fight so soon.

banger of a fight though. I forsee Hill getting viscosly KOd if his movement is compromised rushing back from that injury 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Even though Volk won the first round, it just felt different than all his other fights. I felt Illia was applying the pressure and pushing Volk back, and to his credit Volk was fighting well being the “matador” but it felt like it was only a matter of time before Ilia connected with something big. 

Volk, imo, should be done with FW division. Take some time off and go up to LW for a few fun fights. But i have a feeling hes going to try to rush and get this back and Illia might put him out worse. 

If Volk can't get Topuria to back up, then it's literally a case where he has to be perfect in his defense for however long Topuria has good-night power in his shots.   We know it's at LEAST 15 mins - Josh Emmett he was HAM for 25+, but that's hard to know what happens if the opponent is backing him up.  It's so much harder to keep that pace if you're on your back foot.   But yeah, if Topuria is the one moving forward and dictating pace and space, it's tough to see Volk winning again.   Then again, if he faces Topuria, he might be +250 or more, and at those odds, NGL I'll be tempted.    

But again, I think we'll see Topuria-Max, and then Topuria-Conor.  

All in all, what a banger card - only 3 fights really sucked (Garry is still a fraud IMO, just hasn't faced the full step in competition, even though Neal was #9 ranked, now it gets really tough with his lack of power and terrible optics when he gets hit), and 2 of them were the first 2 fights.    Hopefully 299 & 300 can match or surpass tonight, because other than Volk & Neal losing, a great card all around (and Volk allowed the hedge for great $$ on parleys lol).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Didnt Hill just tear his achilles? How is he able to fight so soon.

banger of a fight though. I forsee Hill getting viscosly KOd if his movement is compromised rushing back from that injury 

July 2023 he tore it. Seems quick

Definitely will be on AP

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

You can do Pantoja there

We can't give Belal an earned title shot because "he doesn't sell PPVs" but we are going to headline a card with Pantoja?

This seems to me like it was clearly the designed 301 main and pushed to 300 out of desperation.

Edited by Soggust

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

and if Ilia wins again, then we get a massive headliner - Ilia - Conor.

At what weight class? lol

Conor is likely not making 155 anymore, much less 145.

0 chance Topuria gets this fight imo.

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He needs to take time off.

Yeah, he's like that guy at the blackjack table who keeps losing but won't take a break because he always has to get it back and end on a good note. Usually doesn't end well.

298 recap

Topuria looked incredible but I still feel like he needs to beat Max to cement this whole thing. Its not fair but I feel like beating a Volk that came back too quickly from being KOd. I dont think Volk is washed but man that chin got tested again and crumbled. He needs to protect himself. Im tired of these champs that want to go for double champ status despite not being hardly anyone in their division. The Conor talk is ridiculous 

Whittaker still has it but as much hate as ive had for Costa and many others, he came to fight too. MW looks like alot of fun at the top

Merab v Cejudo was great, Merab was alot more exciting than normal which is huge for him. He has this weird Tony Ferguson thing where he gets tagged and looks in loads of trouble and still comes out on top. Huge for Merab that Dana says he's next

Ian Garry/Neal, I mean I didn't think it was this great performance. I feel like Garry is at least 2 fights away from a #1 contender fight. He is talking Leon, Leon would smoke him

Fluffy is a DOG, that is all

• Like 1