The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

Let's spin the wheel of Conor, and guess what it is:

- Is it related to injury? Most likely the same leg that he's sustained like 5 serious injuries to?

- Is it related to his substance abuse issues?

- Is it related to another out of competition criminal incident?

- Is it related to another power struggle between Conor and the UFC? Similar to the one that got him pulled from 200?

So many possibilities!

I'm going to throw another little note out that a lot of people aren't aware of. Like in pretty much all western countries right now, the issue of immigration is currently a political firestorm in Ireland. Conor has been a vocal critic of the Irish government and is positioning himself as a celebrity spokesman for factions within this debate. There are limited protections on speech outside the US and even someone as big as Conor can be formally charged if he says enough things the government doesn't like. Add in the 'natural flair' of Irish politics which can include torching buildings among other things, and you begin to understand this isn't some small issue that will go away anytime soon. 

I don't think the above had a lot or anything to do with this current/rumored withdrawal from the card but it's something to account for regarding Conor, and events in Ireland particularly, going forward. 

• Like 1

Anyone think Dana's weird P4P rant at the presser is all a part of a long con to gas Jon Jones up enough to actually fight Tom Aspinall?

His strategy being, if he talks about Jon as a universe destroying force enough then the prospect of fighting Aspinall will seem like an easy money grab and final walk into the sunset for Jones?

13 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Anyone think Dana's weird P4P rant at the presser is all a part of a long con to gas Jon Jones up enough to actually fight Tom Aspinall?

His strategy being, if he talks about Jon as a universe destroying force enough then the prospect of fighting Aspinall will seem like an easy money grab and final walk into the sunset for Jones?

No, Dana has said all along Stipe is next

5 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

No, Dana has said all along Stipe is next

I know, I'm saying Dana is potentially trying to gas Jon up to fight Tom after the Stipe fight- instead of just retiring which is the running predication. 

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Anyone else feel like the 302 main event was way overblown? People act like the fight was close when it wasnt. Dustin won 1 round. He overperformed expectations but that doesnt make it this amazing fight

I think the overall spectacle was interesting to people, especially after a somewhat boring card. Crowd was into it, Poirer's last stand, Islam not just straight up dominating and finishing Dustin in 1 or 2 rounds. The excitement of "What If?" when it was a standing fight and the struggle to survive when it was on the ground. 

The best way to sum it up is the fight had good energy rather than it being some great fight in the purest sense.

2 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I know, I'm saying Dana is potentially trying to gas Jon up to fight Tom after the Stipe fight- instead of just retiring which is the running predication. 

I think the overall spectacle was interesting to people, especially after a somewhat boring card. Crowd was into it, Poirer's last stand, Islam not just straight up dominating and finishing Dustin in 1 or 2 rounds. The excitement of "What If?" when it was a standing fight and the struggle to survive when it was on the ground. 

The best way to sum it up is the fight had good energy rather than it being some great fight in the purest sense.

I feel like people treat this like it was Volk/Islam 1 which it wasnt

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like people treat this like it was Volk/Islam 1 which it wasnt

It was more like a GSP era title fight. GSP largely cruises to victory but a few takedown defenses, a little success standing, and some energy from the crowd give an underdog/fan favorite and the fight at large some juice. Not much more than that.

10 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Anyone else feel like the 302 main event was way overblown? People act like the fight was close when it wasnt. Dustin won 1 round. He overperformed expectations but that doesnt make it this amazing fight

Rounds 2 and 4 were toss ups, could've gone either way. Going into the 5th, Dustin still had a shot to take it so I think that's what they mean by close. 

Everyone is juicing up Islam's boxing without realizing the huge threat of a takedown is why it looked so good. I think the thing I was most impressed with was his cardio. I was hoping he'd slow down late and Dustin could put him away, but the way he go on top of him so fast for that choke was insane. 

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Rounds 2 and 4 were toss ups, could've gone either way. Going into the 5th, Dustin still had a shot to take it so I think that's what they mean by close. 

Everyone is juicing up Islam's boxing without realizing the huge threat of a takedown is why it looked so good. I think the thing I was most impressed with was his cardio. I was hoping he'd slow down late and Dustin could put him away, but the way he go on top of him so fast for that choke was insane. 

2 & 4 were toss ups but in all likelihood, you knew both didnt go to Dustin for 2 of the 3 judges and we know that now too

I agree the wrestling makes his boxing look better, I mean geez Khabib dropped Conor...and his striking is horrible.