The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

6 minutes ago, mse326 said:

From all the fights I've watched they don't count them as often as significant strikes. They have to be stone cold solid unlike shots to the head. So I think they undercount because I don't view them as less impactful.

i mean, youre smart enough to realize that theres all kinds of problems with this. 

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i mean, youre smart enough to realize that theres all kinds of problems with this. 

So because I value body and leg strikes more than the people who decide subjectively whether something is significant there is a problem? I'm not saying they are as impactful as head shots but I do they are underrated.

1 minute ago, Bearerofnews said:

But thats not how they judge takedowns. Its not about damage or insuing action. Takedowns are credited as points for being a takedown. All takedowns are credited points equally. A takedown is a takedown, it really is that simple. Right or wrong, thats how it is. I dont know if percentage matters to judges or not. But it is telling. 

Now youre just lying, theres no rigid scoring rules like that for takedowns.

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

nope, doesnt really matter.if i throw 100 stirkes but only connect on 20, shoudl be viewed the same as throwing 20 and lading all of them. if the fighter isnt effecient its on him but it shouldnt penalize himself in the moment. When reyes threw heavy, it got reactions from jon, he retreated and it clearly bothered him... had nothing to do with noise, again thats you just trying to dismiss it because you disagree. Reyes even said he won the first 3 rounds... i guess that means he won? also note, he did not say he lost the 4th. 

Fam.... Reyes clearly said, not verbatim but close. "I took rounds 1 through 3 and he took it to me round 4 and 5". Yet you are saying 4 was 50/50?

I dont know for sure if judges give points for efficiency. I dont know if they are privy to those numbers during the fight or at the end.  If they are, maybe judges value efficiency. Maybe also guys throwing more missing and being blocked,  effects the perceptions of the judges.

Either way, the only people who will attempt to make this some egregious decision is Jones haters. It was a close fight, that went to the undisputed Champion, who clearly won the championship rounds and was never truly hurt or in danger. Even when he was dropped, it looked like a body shot with a slip. Id have to see it again.

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Now youre just lying, theres no rigid scoring rules like that for takedowns.

So how do you think they judge take downs? You think there is layers of takedowns? A takedown is a takedown like a touchdown is a touchdown. 

Do you think the minute there is a takedown, judges mark their card.... but if the fallen opponent gets up after some duration of time, they cross out the points for the takedown?

Edited by Bearerofnews

Just now, mse326 said:

So because I value body and leg strikes more than the people who decide subjectively whether something is significant there is a problem? I'm not saying they are as impactful as head shots but I do they are underrated.

When you assert something thats entirely your opinion, its a problem. in your head you think they get under counted, but you dont know. theres total strikes and significant strikes, both are counted. Theres no real subjectivity in what a general strike is, and although there is some room for interpretation for whats significant theres at least a definition for it. are you saying that in that, assuming its true for a second, that they leave out strikes all together or they count them towards total strikes but not significant.

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

When you assert something thats entirely your opinion, its a problem. in your head you think they get under counted, but you dont know. theres total strikes and significant strikes, both are counted. Theres no real subjectivity in what a general strike is, and although there is some room for interpretation for whats significant theres at least a definition for it. are you saying that in that, assuming its true for a second, that they leave out strikes all together or they count them towards total strikes but not significant.

The latter. And there isn't really a definition for significant strikes. At least not one that doesn't involve subjectivity and, yes, opinion. You no what else is opinion? Judging. And your belief that it wasn't close is, wait for it...opinion. This is not an objective sport. Even the counting stats have some subjectivity, and they are only a part of the judging criteria. So I find it odd that you would say something that is entirely opinion is a problem. That means the entire sport is a problem.

4 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

So how do you think they judge take downs? You think there is layers of takedowns? A takedown is a takedown like a touchdown is a touchdown. 

Do you think the minute there is a takedown, judges mark their card.... but if the fallen opponent gets up after some duration of time, they cross out the points for the takedown?

stands to reason that theres some variance between judges how they view it. Im not sure what each judge does but we literally have hundreds and maybe even thousands of examples to show that different judges view them differently. You either realize that and decided to flat out lie or you didnt and its pointless to go on. Id actually like an answer on which it was.

I had Jones edging it 48-47. Wouldn't have argued with Reyes by the same score tbh, but I think Jones did just enough.

Hard to win a decision when you're on the back foot the whole time. You REALLY need to be clearly outstriking the other guy if you are. If you're outstriking him by one or two, it's not going to be so evident, and you can easily lose the round to the forward pressure.

That being said, I think Jones played a risky game by relying on the judges giving him one round from the first three. Think he could have been more aggressive at the end, when Reyes was gassed, but easier said than done.

Just like his last fight, felt Jones did just enough to win. Far cry from the dominant Jones we're used to though.

Just now, mse326 said:

The latter. And there isn't really a definition for significant strikes. At least not one that doesn't involve subjectivity and, yes, opinion. You no what else is opinion? Judging. And your belief that it wasn't close is, wait for it...opinion. This is not an objective sport. Even the counting stats have some subjectivity, and they are only a part of the judging criteria. So I find it odd that you would say something that is entirely opinion is a problem. That means the entire sport is a problem.

yes, but i included reasoning and some fact in there. so if jones gets hit and moves backwards, thats not arguable.... its what happened. Youve made something up in your head and thats literally it. no supporting argument, just heres what i think because its what i think. its insulting call them the same thing, and as bad as the judging was all night its still insulting to say theyre the same as well.

7 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

stands to reason that theres some variance between judges how they view it. Im not sure what each judge does but we literally have hundreds and maybe even thousands of examples to show that different judges view them differently. You either realize that and decided to flat out lie or you didnt and its pointless to go on. Id actually like an answer on which it was.

I went by how i truly believe judges score takedowns and how its been dicussed in the past. If someone can show me otherwise or that judges use discretion on what they consider a worthy takedown.. then i 100% believe every judge in MMA scores a takedown as a takedown... regardless what happens after the takedown. What happens after is only grounds for more point distribution and not takedown validation. What you are saying doesnt even make sense. That judges have discretionary leeway to discredit a takedown.. by the simple, clear and concise definition of what a takedown is... if they somehow feel the proceeding action wasn't significant enough? Tell me in your conscious mind that makes sense

Edited by Bearerofnews

Really hard to see anyone in the rankings at LHW right now who has what it takes to beat Jon. Jiri Prochazka is the one I'm really interested in. Depending how he looks when he makes his UFC debut, he could be fighting for the title pretty soon, and could well be the hardest test out there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Really hard to see anyone in the rankings at LHW right now who has what it takes to beat Jon. Jiri Prochazka is the one I'm really interested in. Depending how he looks when he makes his UFC debut, he could be fighting for the title pretty soon, and could well be the hardest test out there.

I think Reyes deserves a rematch. He gassed out and that was his undoing.. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303