The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Absolutely, but is it going to happen? No, I dont think so. I think Usman can eventually be someone people want to see but its not going to happen vs Jorge

Usman is a very good fighter but he's not a big PPV draw and never will be. Khabib's PPV #'s were mediocre after he beat Conor and the only reason he got paid as much as he did is because the Saudi Arabian government contributed to his purses so he'd fight there. 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Burns was able to catch Usman with some big shots and wobble him but Usman came into that fight prepared to keep it standing, he didn't want to grapple with Burns who has legit submission skills. 

One thing that I admire about Usman is that he has a very well rounded game and high fight IQ. Against guys like Burns he made the fight into a kickboxing match because he didn't want to wrestle/grapple with them. But against guys like Woodley and Masvidal he used his wrestling and cardio to wear them out and didn't just stand in the pocket trading blows. 

I like Masvidal and think he's entertaining/good for the sport but he has definitely become very overrated. People act as though he's some sort of power puncher / finisher when he only has 5 KO's in 19 UFC appearances. And those KO's came against Ben Askren (perfectly timed flying knee), Darren Till who is also pretty overrated and was coming off of a bad weight cut, Donald Cerrone who was older and really a LW fighting at WW, Jake Ellenberger who has been KO'd in 5/7 fights, and Cezar Ferreira who had been KO'd in 2/3 fights leading up to his bout with Masvidal. 

Even if Usman stands and trades with him more this time I don't see Masvidal KOing him. And ultimately I think the fight goes pretty similar to how the last fight went. Usman will take him down early and often, put him up against the cage, wear him out, and either finish him in round 4/5 or win a dominant decision. Masvidal has only gone 5 rounds twice in his career and lost both fights. 

I think people hate Usman because of his fight IQ...like of course he wont go into Burns world or stand and bang with Jorge but would anyone do anything different if they were in his shoes? 

As far as the KO stuff, since he moved to WW, all but 1 of his wins has been by KO/TKO. The fact Burns tagged him is a factor but you could also say there was no threat of a TD so Burns could throw freely. 

Also fun fact, Jorge Masvidal has a loss on his record vs Raphael Assuncao?

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Connor saying the fights off after Dustin put him on blast for not following through with his donation to DP's charity. Lol

Connor is a piece of crap, but if the fight us truly off, Dustin screwed himself and should've kept his mouth shut until after the trilogy. Passed over the title shot to fight Mcgregor, and now probably won't get that. Mcgregor has F you money and doesn't need to fight.

This was my first thought as well, he has every right to be pissed but dude you tied your next fight to this big payday and now you say its off? Thats just foolish. 

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Yeah he needs to take time off, potentially change gyms, and I think seriously consider the drop to WW. He is a really small MW. He was legitimately giving up 15-20 pounds to both Brunson and Vettori, yet he still briefly managed to hurt both of them.

He is super dangerous on the feet, just needs serious TDD refinement and more discipline overall. 

Holland wants the Izzy fight but the 2 are similar in the sense that Izzy shouldn't be going to LHW because he is just too small for the larger dudes with good wrestling much like Holland at MW. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Connor saying the fights off after Dustin put him on blast for not following through with his donation to DP's charity. Lol

Connor is a piece of crap, but if the fight us truly off, Dustin screwed himself and should've kept his mouth shut until after the trilogy. Passed over the title shot to fight Mcgregor, and now probably won't get that. Mcgregor has F you money and doesn't need to fight.

I was already mad when Diamond passed on the title fight for Conor. I'll be irate if he doesn't even get that.

Conor is such a ***** man. You can't publicly get credit for a donation and expect not to get publicly called out for ghosting it. Aside of whatever was in the emails, it was already put out there in the media what the money would be going towards. Not to mention the foundation is a registered charity. If this isn't just a marketing ploy to hype up the fight, that's a low move. Thought Conor was better than that. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I was already mad when Diamond passed on the title fight for Conor. I'll be irate if he doesn't even get that.

Conor is such a ***** man. You can't publicly get credit for a donation and expect not to get publicly called out for ghosting it. Aside of whatever was in the emails, it was already put out there in the media what the money would be going towards. Not to mention the foundation is a registered charity. If this isn't just a marketing ploy to hype up the fight, that's a low move. Thought Conor was better than that. 

Was thinking the same about this being a possible "hype" move for the fight.  But why?  It's Conor....It's the guy that beat Conor to make it 1-1.  I don't see why they would need that added element???  Who knows???  If true, however, Mcgregor deserves to be called out, and shouldn't cry about his name being smeared.  I don't care how "charitable" he is.  If you make a promise, then you should follow through on it.

On a different note...Can we please have this guy come back soon, and take Adesanya's and Usman's belt on the same night?

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/04/ufc-news-khamzat-chimaev-next-fight-covid-19-back-training-ali-abdelaziz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Was thinking the same about this being a possible "hype" move for the fight.  But why?  It's Conor....It's the guy that beat Conor to make it 1-1.  I don't see why they would need that added element???  Who knows???  If true, however, Mcgregor deserves to be called out, and shouldn't cry about his name being smeared.  I don't care how "charitable" he is.  If you make a promise, then you should follow through on it.

On a different note...Can we please have this guy come back soon, and take Adesanya's and Usman's belt on the same night?

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/04/ufc-news-khamzat-chimaev-next-fight-covid-19-back-training-ali-abdelaziz

Is his next fight booked?

2 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

YT commenter on Askren's boxing:

'Looks like he is relearning how to use his limbs after an accident, like physical therapy.'

Ben's way to win is to be a human punching bag until the Paul bro gets tired

Agreed. If Paul takes a calculated approach he should win pretty easily

On 4/12/2021 at 10:51 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

This was my first thought as well, he has every right to be pissed but dude you tied your next fight to this big payday and now you say its off? Thats just foolish. 

Conor is going to fight him, he's just trying to engage in some banter and create some drama leading up to the fight. It was pretty shady to promise a $500k donation and then not follow through though.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 12:12 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Agreed. If Paul takes a calculated approach he should win pretty easily

What I'm interested to see is how Paul responds if he's not able to finish Askren early. His two professional fights have lasted about a total of 2 and a half rounds so we haven't seen his cardio. And even in the Nate Robinson fight he only landed 8/38 punches. 

We've seen during Conor McGregor's career when he's able to hurt guys early on in the fight he wins but when he isn't he has lost. He has also had much more success fighting guys who were significantly smaller than him and his power hasn't really translated against bigger opponents. 

Askren is older but he has always had a good chin and great cardio throughout his career. We've never seen Paul fight someone his size or someone that has actually been a professional fighter. Throughout the lead up to the fight Paul has been so confident that he'll be able to get him out in 1/2 rounds, but if he doesn't, then what? 

Paul's chin also hasn't ever really been tested, in his two fights I think he has been hit like a total of 20 times by guys that were much smaller than him. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Askren is older but he has always had a good chin and great cardio throughout his career. We've never seen Paul fight someone his size or someone that has actually been a professional fighter. Throughout the lead up to the fight Paul has been so confident that he'll be able to get him out in 1/2 rounds, but if he doesn't, then what? 

In terms of managing your gas tank as a striker, boxing provides better training than MMA imo. And it's always easier to conserve/manage energy when you're in familiar situations. Askren isn't a boxer, and from what I've read the Paul kid has trained as one for multiple years in a legitimate way. He's also got youth on his side. 

So I'd think he'd be the one getting stronger, more comfortable, and remaining fresher as the fight wears on. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303