The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Bones is definitely not a better striker than Gane. Bones had the luxury of always having the bigger reach and didn't fair as well with guys that were close (I think Gus 2 was really the only one that was mentioned). He didn't really look great in 3 of his last 4 since popping.

Athleticism probably goes to Gane too as we haven't seen Bones carry that extra weight yet (Gane is freakish for HW).

People underrate Gane's grappling because he got caught off guard going against Francis which he probably thought was going to be all standup. Bones should probably be the favorite, but far from easy money. 

I agree athleticism prolly goes to Gane at this stage of his career and I also agree that Bones has looked most vulnerable in recent fights. 

But there is no planet I think Gane is a more talented striker at any distance, especially close. Jones is notorious for his work in the clinch and close with his knees and elbows, so I'm not sure why you think he's weak there, unless you're just referring to his recent fights?

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

I agree athleticism prolly goes to Gane at this stage of his career and I also agree that Bones has looked most vulnerable in recent fights. 

But there is no planet I think Gane is a more talented striker at any distance, especially close. Jones is notorious for his work in the clinch and close with his knees and elbows, so I'm not sure why you think he's weak there, unless you're just referring to his recent fights?

I mean if you're going to limit it to close range striking, you're probably right, but that's not really accurate. Gane is phenomenal with his footwork and at distance, and has great counterstriking ability once his opponent first gets into range. It's honestly insane that a HW can move and be as accurate as he is. Even if you think they are close, you can't give Bones the edge without seeing him carry that new weight around the octagon. He could be fine or he could gas chasing Gane around after a round and a half.

This isn't a knock on Bones' striking though. He's accurate and creative, but he lacks the power and we're comparing him to one of the best pure strikers at any weight class IMO. 

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its lazy handicapping but Ngannou controlled Gane to victory. Bones very likely goes there early and often 

Francis controlled him by executing an amazing gameplan that caught Gane off guard. That reversal in round 5 which won him the fight was absolutely beautiful. Sometimes you gotta give credit to the guy who won it instead of attributing it to a negative for the other guy. 

• Like 1

One thing that I think goes unnoticed because of his dominance is that JBJ actually has a really good chin….he ate some great shots from great strikers and  was never truly rocked iirc….now this being heavyweight and Gain hitting like a truck, that may go out the window, but still an underrated quality of Jones that goes heavily overlooked.

12 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

One thing that I think goes unnoticed because of his dominance is that JBJ actually has a really good chin….he ate some great shots from great strikers and  was never truly rocked iirc….now this being heavyweight and Gain hitting like a truck, that may go out the window, but still an underrated quality of Jones that goes heavily overlooked.

See my thinking is that going to HW is actually easier than LHW, in some ways.

Most notably, the first thing to go with age is speed. So, while HWs are going to hit harder, JBJ has been dealing with big hitters his entire career. The slower nature of HW benefits him, imo.

But obviously it's all speculation until he actually gets in the ring. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I see what you did there. This is definitely a fun fight, I see the lines are pretty 50:50 too

3 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

+120 for Charles is a nice chunk of change I plan on making. I think Chuck wins by TKO

Completely agree the fight is amazing, if not the fight I wanted (Dariush title fight). It's a really tough style matchup for Dariush, in my mind, but I can't deny I'm excited af to see it. 

The blueprint on Beneil forever was that he was prone to getting into brawls and I think Charles will be more than happy to oblige. Charles is rangier and has slightly better striking, imo. Dariush will need to take it to the ground, which is always a dangerous proposition against Charles, even if I do think he's slightly overrated off his back.

Charles at + money is very tempting to me, but I might just end of fading betting altogether. But if I do bet it, Charles was what I was eyeing for sure.

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303