2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

18 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Unless you think we'll be finding a top 10 all-time QB anytime soon the best route to take to me seems to be the one the 2015 Broncos, 2014 Seahawks, 2013 Ravens, 2012 Giants, 2008 Giants, 2006 Steelers, and early Patriot teams took and build a balanced offense and great defense.

I responded to a challenge of pointing out top passing teams winning the SB, so I displayed the QBs who had won each of the last 16 years. That is the only motivation behind listing those teams.

The broader point being that teams aren't winning because their running game carried them unless their defense just plays lights out and they don't have to score over 20 often. Teams that are very good on offense are generally carried by the passing game while teams that are "run-first" are relying on their defense to keep the score very low and their running game to minimize their overall mistakes.

We were a very balanced team in 2019 and I would expect us to continue to be so long as we have a competent QB. What we saw for two games in the post-season wasn't an accurate representation of what we were for the majority of the year. 

Given Tannehill's sample size I would be cautious giving him a large contract, however, I wouldn't hesitate to tag him over Derrick Henry as the QB is just a much more valuable position. 

Unless we have a behind-the-scene's deal done with someone like Brady, entering FA without a QB could have a disastrous result on our 2020 season. I wouldn't even be overly excited about Brady except for the fact that it's Tom Brady. Personally, I think he's about done and should have retired prior to last season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

They better hope Brady doesn’t Screw them.

It’s smart by the titans, the last thing Tannehill wants is another Miami situation, were he’s paid with a trash supporting cast & coaching staff. He might wants to get paid, but he also wants to win & good teams aren’t going to pay him 30-35 mill that are in contention 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I responded to a challenge of pointing out top passing teams winning the SB, so I displayed the QBs who had won each of the last 16 years. That is the only motivation behind listing those teams.

The broader point being that teams aren't winning because their running game carried them unless their defense just plays lights out and they don't have to score over 20 often. Teams that are very good on offense are generally carried by the passing game while teams that are "run-first" are relying on their defense to keep the score very low and their running game to minimize their overall mistakes.

We were a very balanced team in 2019 and I would expect us to continue to be so long as we have a competent QB. What we saw for two games in the post-season wasn't an accurate representation of what we were for the majority of the year. 

Given Tannehill's sample size I would be cautious giving him a large contract, however, I wouldn't hesitate to tag him over Derrick Henry as the QB is just a much more valuable position. 

Unless we have a behind-the-scene's deal done with someone like Brady, entering FA without a QB could have a disastrous result on our 2020 season. I wouldn't even be overly excited about Brady except for the fact that it's Tom Brady. Personally, I think he's about done and should have retired prior to last season.

There's more examples of teams winning with a strong running game and strong defense than there are of teams winning with a qb who's not elite or is not on a rookie contract. 

Which is why I insist we don't overpay for a non elite qb and instead continue building the defense (we're a couple players away from a potentially elite unit) while we keep our RB, 80% of the line, and over 90% of the key offensive contributors. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, titans0021 said:

That the offense was flawed and the receivers weren’t great? Sure, I can buy that.

Nope, you missed it. The offense wasn't flawed, in fact it's been proven time and time again that it's an offense that works at the highest of levels.

The point is that the offense was ineffective because the pass catchers were incapable of executing it for a multitude of reasons - the inability to create separation on any sort of consistent basis coupled with the inability to read a defense which led to their inability to adjust their routes/change their option routes that the offense is predicated on causing them to be out of sync with Brady.

Do you disagree with that? If so, then how and where is he wrong? If not, then how is any QB, especially one that's supposedly fallen from grace, supposed to have success in an offense in which his pass catchers can't do their job week in and week out?

5 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I could also make a long video about how bad our route concepts and spacing was last year. Fortunately, we made a change at QB that allowed us to elevate our offense despite those issues, shame the Patriots didn’t have someone that could do the same. And yes, I know the run game argument is coming. The Patriots averaged 4.6 yards per carry and 117 rushing yards per game in the second half. Obviously not Henry levels of production, but I’m exhausted by all the talk about the terrible rushing attack Brady had.

4.5 ypc*....which would rank a tick better than average for only half the season and that ypc average is propped up from going up against the 25th, 27th, and 32nd ranked run defenses in that time frame. That's a bad cherry picking of data. The rushing attack was bad and that 4.5 ypc cherry picked stat pales in comparison to Henry's 6.2 ypc during the second half of the season.

Our QB was equipped with a supporting cast that allowed him to elevate the offense. Brady was not.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

4.5 ypc*....which would rank a tick better than average for only half the season and that ypc average is propped up from going up against the 25th, 27th, and 32nd ranked run defenses in that time frame. That's a bad cherry picking of data.

To piggy back off this...if we're gonna cherry pick data, in weeks 1-5 with another competent option besides a slot receiver Brady was on his way to a 4500 yard, 63%, 32 TD, 6 INT, 7.53 YPA, 101.1 pass rating season. Therefore he is still great.

6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Which one? That the offense was flawed and the receivers weren’t great? Sure, I can buy that. I could also make a long video about how bad our route concepts and spacing was last year. Fortunately, we made a change at QB that allowed us to elevate our offense despite those issues, shame the Patriots didn’t have someone that could do the same. And yes, I know the run game argument is coming. The Patriots averaged 4.6 yards per carry and 117 rushing yards per game in the second half. Obviously not Henry levels of production, but I’m exhausted by all the talk about the terrible rushing attack Brady had.

😩🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 1st off the pats offense start with Brady they don’t run the football to setup the pass. How many times has Tannehill attempted over 30-35 passes this season 🤔 I guess twice. 75% of his throws come off play action. He can’t read the field like Brady & our offense is a joke compared to NE. Route concepts, spacing is vanilla. I get it you don’t like Brady he’s 43 he’s never going to be the elite goat he was, but he’s still better than Tannehill who’s nothing more than a efficient game manager 

Greatest coach, constant hot commodity OC, first round pick at WR, second-round trade at WR, top five all-time slot receiver, elite pass catching back, good OL, average run game. Paired with arguably the best defense in the league. Couldn’t escape the first round. Couldn’t lead a competent offense when it mattered most. Couldn’t beat the Dolphins with a bye on the line. Couldn’t muster more than 13 against our mediocre defense.

But hey, that’s everyone else’s fault. The receivers couldn’t separate, so he was forced to throw “touch passes” into tight coverage. Because that’s what the floating passes to the sideline were right? Him throwing with touch, exactly what you want to do when a receiver isn’t beating a corner, loft the ball. The Belichick and McDaniels combo suddenly forgot the scheme that has worked for 15 years and left Brady out to dry. That’s more likely than a 43 year old faltering down the stretch. One of the best HC/OC combos ever just couldn’t get it done.

The incompetent Patriots front office got rid of his star receiver in Josh Gordon and that led to the offense falling apart. Nevermind that Sanu was more productive in ATL to start the year than Gordon was in New England. There was definitely a massive drop off there.

I get it though, it’s really tough for a QB to build chemistry with receivers on the fly. That’s why Tannehill struggled to find his groove for so long when he took over one of the worst offenses in football. 

• Like 1