The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Gave you that number.  Spotrac has him at a MV of $30.5 mil AAV.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/ryan-tannehill-9818/market-value/

And if you don't agree question the source not the messenger.

But who is giving Tannehill that if not Tennessee?

Can anyone guarantee he will look half as good out of Tennessee?

Brady to Tennessee would be a major wrench in then qB movements.

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

Well I for one will be shocked if anyone including Tenn gives Tannehill a 4yr/$120 mil deal but lacking any other source at the moment this is all we have to go by in the way of an estimate.  Does Over-The-Cap have any projections on him?

Once you start assigning QB1s to teams including Brady things get a little interesting.

Brady and Rivers are the key dominos

I mean if Brady goes to Tampa, Titans or Raiders then where is Winston, Tannehill or Carr respectively going?   Or Rivers?  Also what are NE going and Chargers going to do?  What is Carolina going to do with Newton?  

It sounds like Jacksonville is set on keeping both Foles and Minshew and having a QB competition so they are likely out. 

Cincinnati and Miami are almost assuredly going with rookies.  But you have to think at least two other teams will too - Panthers, Chargers and/or NE?

Brees is staying put so Bridgwater will likely get a real shot somewhere.  I don’t buy the Taysom Hill stuff.  I think nobody cares about him.  

Will NO draft a QB of future ala KC taking Mahomes or GB taking Rodgers?  Maybe Steelers do that?  Steelers may need a QB of present.  I have a feeling Big Ben may be near done.  

Are Bears really going to roll with MT or are they smoke screening their interest in a veteran?  We really don’t know for sure.  Odds are they are going with MT.   But unless MT really steps up he is going to have a hard time holding off a decent available player.   I mean in a real competition is he going to hold off Dalton, Mariota or Bridgewater?

I think Carr or RIvers or Tannehill and obviously Brady  just get the job straight out if they are signed and it sounds like Pace doesn’t want that scenario.    I can’t see Brady or Rivers signing with Bears under any circumstance.   Not with way offense played last year as a whole and their signing would mean little to no new help coming.  

Right now I think Brady goes to LV and Rivers goes to TB.  I think the Bears would be loathe to trade a 2nd for Carr which is what they would want so I don’t see Carr coming here.  Plus, I think Pace really wants to have one more chance to be right on MT before that becomes his main historical narrative. 

I am going outside the box and say we have a decent chance of seeing a released Winston play for the Bears on a 1 or 2 year deal and I  would not be shocked at all if he finishes season as the starter.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Once you start assigning QB1s to teams including Brady things get a little interesting.

Brady and Rivers are the key dominos

I mean if Brady goes to Tampa, Titans or Raiders then where is Winston, Tannehill or Carr respectively going?   Or Rivers?  Also what are NE going and Chargers going to do?  What is Carolina going to do with Newton?  

It sounds like Jacksonville is set on keeping both Foles and Minshew and having a QB competition so they are likely out. 

Cincinnati and Miami are almost assuredly going with rookies.  But you have to think at least two other teams will too - Panthers, Chargers and/or NE?

Brees is staying put so Bridgwater will likely get a real shot somewhere.  I don’t buy the Taysom Hill stuff.  I think nobody cares about him.  

Will NO draft a QB of future ala KC taking Mahomes or GB taking Rodgers?  Maybe Steelers do that?  Steelers may need a QB of present.  I have a feeling Big Ben may be near done.  

Are Bears really going to roll with MT or are they smoke screening their interest in a veteran?  We really don’t know for sure.  Odds are they are going with MT.   But unless MT really steps up he is going to have a hard time holding off a decent available player.   I mean in a real competition is he going to hold off Dalton, Mariota or Bridgewater?

I think Carr or RIvers or Tannehill and obviously Brady  just get the job straight out if they are signed and it sounds like Pace doesn’t want that scenario.    I can’t see Brady or Rivers signing with Bears under any circumstance.   Not with way offense played last year as a whole and their signing would mean little to no new help coming.  

Right now I think Brady goes to LV and Rivers goes to TB.  I think the Bears would be loathe to trade a 2nd for Carr which is what they would want so I don’t see Carr coming here.  Plus, I think Pace really wants to have one more chance to be right on MT before that becomes his main historical narrative. 

I am going outside the box and say we have a decent chance of seeing a released Winston play for the Bears on a 1 or 2 year deal and I  would not be shocked at all if he finishes season as the starter.

I think Winston is gonna have a hard time finding a deal if TB doesn’t keep him. He’s been a turnover machine since FSU. Even with the yardage and the TDs the offset on the positive with him is just SO high. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

But who is giving Tannehill that if not Tennessee?

Can anyone guarantee he will look half as good out of Tennessee?

Brady to Tennessee would be a major wrench in then qB movements.

Don't disagree with you at all.  I would not pay a guy who except for 10 starts in Tenn. had a very average career for 6 years prior to that.

I don't think even Tenn can guarantee he'll continue to play that well with them but if there's a lot of interest in him and they want to keep him to find out they'll probably pay the freight.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We don't know any more than what we've read or Pace has told us and I'm willing to take him at his word that Mitch is still in the #1 spot and whoever he brings in by whatever method will be a #2 until otherwise decided which then eliminates all prospect who will not sign with the Bears to be Mitch's #2.  Not even for a day.

If Dalton is their guy I would prefer we get a deal done asap and avoid whatever craziness FA may bring.  The longer this goes on the more it becomes like the PK fiasco of 2019 especially if it's not Dalton and we're left with lesser prospects who fall below the criteria Pace has set for a vet QB acquisition.

Trai Turner would be awesome. I am not sure what you would have to give up to get him. Probably way too much.

Cordy Glenn would be nice competition/replacement for Leno if he is healthy and cheaper. He played OG last season so he could even be an option at RG,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Trai Turner would be awesome. I am not sure what you would have to give up to get him. Probably way too much.

Cordy Glenn would be nice competition/replacement for Leno if he is healthy and cheaper. He played OG last season so he could even be an option at RG,

Why is Carolina shopping Turner? Isn’t he a 26-year old 5x pro bowler? 

• Like 1

Lengthy read on the Brady/Belichick thing with more ideas on where Brady might sign of not with NE.  Tennessee 40% is about equal with staying with the Pats (also 40%) and 20% split between LV and others.  Not gonna post the entire read.  It's too long.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/02/tom-brady-bill-belichick-patriots-nfl-comb?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 030220&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

A trade for Carr or Dalton should look similar to our trade for Tannehill last season.

Titans receive Tannehill + 6th

Dolphins receive 4th + 7th

You would be pretty crazy to give up anymore than that for either of those guys who are just as average as Tannehill was before this past season. The hope is you catch lightning in a bottle under a new front office, coaching staff, scheme, and personnel while not giving up a lot similar to how we did. Imo both of those guys are upgrades over Trubisky which may be just what the doctor ordered with a team that has a defense like yours.

As for Tannehill himself (idk what your cap situation looks like) his market value is correct to what I've seen some of you post already - 4 years 30m AAV. That puts him at 2.5m AAV over Garoppolo and 2m AAV over Cousins which is par for the course in a new market for a QB who just had a lights out season and is looking for long term security. The rumor in Nashville and from a member in our forum who has a connection batting 1.000 since 2017 is that Tannehill's agent and our front office talked numbers, Tannehill's agent and our front office liked the numbers, but Tannehill ultimately did not which led to him firing his agent and hiring a new one about a week ago. The sense is that he wants more than what we're willing to pay and feel his play/question marks of his small sample size don't equal the money he's requesting. Personally, if he is asking for 30m AAV (I think he's asking for more) I wouldn't pay him that either off of a half season's sample size and a luck luster playoff performance, but I could see why a QB needy team with cap space would do it. I believe we're going for Brady and our organization's New England roots in Vrabel, who Brady remains very close friends with, and GM Jon Robinson will give us the edge over any of the other teams.

I've also seen some mention of Mariota on here and I'll give my 2 cents on him as well. His major problem is pocket PTSD. The guy literally goes in to freak out mode from getting absolutely bludgeoned in the pocket (a lot of the time because of no one's fault but his own) and he is very injury prone. His 2016 season ended with a broken leg. In 2018 he suffered an injured ulnar nerve that lasted the entire year (this happened in week 1 and it effects your ability to grip because it causes numbness in your fingers and tingling down your arm and hand), two neck stingers, a cracked vertebra, plantar fascia tear, strained oblique, broken rib, and sprained AC shoulder joint. We also did him absolutely no favors as an organization having 3 different HC's, 4 different OC's, and 5 different play callers during his tenure with us. I honestly wonder what would have happened if he had some organizational stability and he didn't break his leg at the end of the 2016 season...he had a very promising rookie season and was playing incredibly well the following year which had us all believing we finally found our franchise QB. Everything broke down with him from that point on. A change of scenery could really help him, but he looked really bad the majority of the games he played in 2018 and 2019.

The last thing I'll mention is in regards to some of the TE talk I've been reading on here. He's older, but if Delanie Walker's ankle checks out he could be an interesting and cheaper option for you if we end up cutting him which seems very likely at this point. Imo, he's got quite a bit left in the tank considering he played a more reserved role in San Francisco earlier in his career. He was on his way to a very good season before his ankle flared up after week 3 last year (weeks 1-3: 18 rec, 158 yards, 2 TD's). He could be an even more interesting option if you do end up signing Mariota. They had an incredible rapport together in Tennessee.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

A trade for Carr or Dalton should look similar to our trade for Tannehill last season.

Titans receive Tannehill + 6th

Dolphins receive 4th + 7th

You would be pretty crazy to give up anymore than that for either of those guys who are just as average as Tannehill was before this past season. The hope is you catch lightning in a bottle under a new front office, coaching staff, scheme, and personnel while not giving up a lot similar to how we did. Imo both of those guys are upgrades over Trubisky which may be just what the doctor ordered with a team that has a defense like yours.

As for Tannehill himself (idk what your cap situation looks like) his market value is correct to what I've seen some of you post already - 4 years 30m AAV. That puts him at 2.5m AAV over Garoppolo and 2m AAV over Cousins which is par for the course in a new market for a QB who just had a lights out season and is looking for long term security. The rumor in Nashville and from a member in our forum who has a connection batting 1.000 since 2017 is that Tannehill's agent and our front office talked numbers, Tannehill's agent and our front office liked the numbers, but Tannehill ultimately did not which led to him firing his agent and hiring a new one about a week ago. The sense is that he wants more than what we're willing to pay and feel his play/question marks of his small sample size don't equal the money he's requesting. Personally, if he is asking for 30m AAV (I think he's asking for more) I wouldn't pay him that either off of a half season's sample size and a luck luster playoff performance, but I could see why a QB needy team with cap space would do it. I believe we're going for Brady and our organization's New England roots in Vrabel, who Brady remains very close friends with, and GM Jon Robinson will give us the edge over any of the other teams.

I've also seen some mention of Mariota on here and I'll give my 2 cents on him as well. His major problem is pocket PTSD. The guy literally goes in to freak out mode from getting absolutely bludgeoned in the pocket (a lot of the time because of no one's fault but his own) and he is very injury prone. His 2016 season ended with a broken leg. In 2018 he suffered an injured ulnar nerve that lasted the entire year (this happened in week 1 and it effects your ability to grip because it causes numbness in your fingers and tingling down your arm and hand), two neck stingers, a cracked vertebra, plantar fascia tear, strained oblique, broken rib, and sprained AC shoulder joint. We also did him absolutely no favors as an organization having 3 different HC's, 4 different OC's, and 5 different play callers during his tenure with us. I honestly wonder what would have happened if he had some organizational stability and he didn't break his leg at the end of the 2016 season...he had a very promising rookie season and was playing incredibly well the following year which had us all believing we finally found our franchise QB. Everything broke down with him from that point on. A change of scenery could really help him, but he looked really bad the majority of the games he played in 2018 and 2019.

The last thing I'll mention is in regards to some of the TE talk I've been reading on here. He's older, but if Delanie Walker's ankle checks out he could be an interesting and cheaper option for you if we end up cutting him which seems very likely at this point. Imo, he's got quite a bit left in the tank considering he played a more reserved role in San Francisco earlier in his career. He was on his way to a very good season before his ankle flared up after week 3 last year (weeks 1-3: 18 rec, 158 yards, 2 TD's). He could be an even more interesting option if you do end up signing Mariota. They had an incredible rapport together in Tennessee.

First of all--thanks for posting.

Second of all--HOLY ****!!!

Tannehill may actually be pricing himself out of Tennessee? That's insane! :o

As to a trade for Carr...he's a much more established and (by and large) less injury prone guy than Tannehill. So I would expect his price to be higher. Provided people don't just simply wait the Raiders out.

As to Mariotta, I liked him coming out. A lot. But he's since proven me wrong, and as you point out, is scary injury-prone. All that being said, I'm betting he becomes a Bear. That is, if Dalton doesn't. 

I'd love for the Bears to kick the tires on Walker. I've always thought he was sort of an underrated guy. 

Lastly, do you really think Brady has a better chance of ending up a Titan, instead of a Raider?

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Tannehill may actually be pricing himself out of Tennessee? That's insane! 

According to the member's source that seems to be the case and I don't have any reason to doubt him at this point. The firing of his agent and hiring of a new one seems to hint to it as well.

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

As to a trade for Carr...he's a much more established and (by and large) less injury prone guy than Tannehill. So I would expect his price to be higher. Provided people don't just simply wait the Raiders out.

Statistically they're nearly identical and the eye test imo backs it up, though I realize that can be mostly subjective. The injury argument I can see, but is that enough to go from a 4th and 7th to a 3rd and 7th, or perhaps a 4th and 5th? I don't think so at all

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Lastly, do you really think Brady has a better chance of ending up a Titan, instead of a Raider?

I'm not very familiar with the Raiders, but what connections does he have there? He knows what our team brings to the table up close and personal having lost to us each of the last 2 seasons, our weapons are better than the Raiders, and like I said he's still very close to Vrabel and our GM climbed the ranks in New England. A video surfaced yesterday of him FaceTiming with Vrabel at the UNC game, and at the surface yeah it might not seem like a big deal, but are you really FaceTiming someone if you aren't close with them? Or are you shooting them a text or just giving them a call? And lastly, who do you trust more in the twilight of your career? Gruden and the Raiders who are in the middle of a move to a new city, facility, and stadium? Or Vrabel who you shed blood, sweat, and tears with en route to 3 Super Bowls and the Titans who are coming off an AFCCG appearance?

• Like 2