The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Floyd’s option fully guarantees on the first day of the league year, right? I’m starting to wonder if during the 3-day negotiation period if we can come to an agreement on a replacement before the official start we then look to rescind. 

It is guaranteed the minute the league year opens.

If I was a betting man, I think he plays at 13.2 this season. Pace needs to save some 1st round face.

4 hours ago, G08 said:

I'd even kick the tires on players like Tyler Eifert, honestly. Shouldn't cost much but if he stays healthy it could be a value signing.

We will be saying “if he is healthy” about everyone at TE.

That would be too many “ifs” for me. You would still need to draft one high because of the bandaids at the position.

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The complete no show for the Jets scares me. I would give him the HHCD deal.

Me too. I always wonder when it comes to guys who bust in NY if the NYC nightlife was an issue. He was well paid by the Rams before NYC got added to the equation. 

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d go a 1 or 2-year deal on Johnson if we could get his 2020 cap hit in the $5M range. 

Count me out for Johnson, he was terrible for the Jets and a bad presence in the locker room by all accounts. We can invest $5m better IMO.

• Like 1

I am only one who mentioned this guy.   (That I saw).  

I think this is a cheap veteran option Pace should have went after.  

Houston has 4 TEs now.  3 with higher potential than any of Bears TEs.  They still wanted Fells.  I was surprised with the all the young guys they had.   Tells you what they thought of him, think of him.   

Bears should now try to get one of the young guys off that team.  Be worth a pick.  They can’t use all of them and they are better than most of the guys in the draft from what I can tell.   Or they have more potential.   

When you go bargain shopping you look at someone who has too much of something that you need.

Everyone on Bears podcasts is looking at Ravens.  Ravens are hard to deal with.   They should have been looking at Houston.  

57 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Biggs just tweeted that "some teams are keeping an eye on Floyd as a potential cap casualty."

I do not know what to do with him.

No new CBA and I think you have to pull the tag.

The Bears should probably pull it and let Floyd see what the market is.

Whatever the Bears do at QB short of signing Tom Brady or Andrew Luck is going to be heavily criticized by a large contingent of Bears fans.   

Most of the truly available guys are flawed, hence their availability.   Even Brady and Rivers are really old.  So even a Brady or Rivers signing is going to be criticized.   Rest of guys are either broken or been mediocre of late or both.  Luck would take a million draft picks as Indy still holds his rights.   

Many are sick of trading aways picks for any reason.  The draft is kind of its own season.   Not having picks for a couple years in row wears on fans.  Even for an upgrade it would be hard for many to stomach losing another upper round pick to cover up a prior mistake in drafting.  

So any trade at all will be heavily criticized.  

Bringing in an unknown or a guy like Keenum will be heavily criticized because they want someone better than they perceive Mitch to be (which is really bad) and you can't really argue Keenum is better than Mitch.

Mariota and Winston have not been good - actually not going to break down whole list.

Point is Pace is in a no win situation from Public perception stand point and neither is MT.  

2019 was an offensive disaster of such a magnitude that it is hard to even know where to point the finger.  It goes in every direction.  I think you have to put most of it ultimately on Nagy - the team simply didn't execute its plays to any degree of competence and he is the defacto OC and HC and he made the personnel and practice decisions that led to that point.  

I don't think it was 'play calling'.  It was not being able to run the plays for a wide variety of reasons.  I digress.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't think it was 'play calling'.  It was not being able to run the plays for a wide variety of reasons.  I digress.

This is a difficult scheme to learn, former QBs have said on the record that if they played in this scheme their entire NFL career, their QB rating would be much lower. The entire onus is put on the QB and, to date, Trubisky hasn't been able to handle it. 

I went back and watched a bunch of his games from his rookie season... Good LORD did he look like a sharper QB. His footwork was night-and-day better, his throwing mechanics were tighter, and he was surprisingly comfortable and nimble in the pocket. He needs to find that in himself again. 

I also don't think Nagy or the OL did Trubisky any favors, but that's another story. If I'm Nagy, I focus on building a strong run game and a passing game built off that. Move the pocket, change launch points, cut the field in half while the defense is keyed in on the run. This is what San Fran did and they got to a Super Bowl with Jimmy freaking Garoppolo. 

20 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is a difficult scheme to learn, former QBs have said on the record that if they played in this scheme their entire NFL career, their QB rating would be much lower. The entire onus is put on the QB and, to date, Trubisky hasn't been able to handle it. 

I went back and watched a bunch of his games from his rookie season... Good LORD did he look like a sharper QB. His footwork was night-and-day better, his throwing mechanics were tighter, and he was surprisingly comfortable and nimble in the pocket. He needs to find that in himself again. 

I also don't think Nagy or the OL did Trubisky any favors, but that's another story. If I'm Nagy, I focus on building a strong run game and a passing game built off that. Move the pocket, change launch points, cut the field in half while the defense is keyed in on the run. This is what San Fran did and they got to a Super Bowl with Jimmy freaking Garoppolo. 

It isn't that difficult.  Do you think football players and coaches are that much smarter than regular folks in a different profession?  A lot of them are dumber.  Some much dumber and they still do it.   

We could learn any NFL O completely in about 3-4 weeks of 2 two hour sessions with a Q and A period after each (assuming a good and willing teacher).  I could.  I assume you could too.   

What is difficult is doing the QB position at NFL game speed. It is one thing to know 2-3 options conceptually and intellectually.  Processing 3 options in a fluid situation in 2 seconds or less is hard, really hard.   It takes reps and experience in addition to conceptual knowledge.  Also takes reflexes and ability extend plays and all that.  

I think the knee jerk reaction is QB is at fault.  It is possible to have zero options because the line and/or another player screwed up.  That happened a lot last year.  Way too much.  

Why I say execution across the board was poor.  I would study like a series or two in depth early in season and every bad play was 2 or 3 guys not executing in some fashion.  But not always same 2 or 3 guys.  Though some like Long clearly couldn't play and came up way too much.    Sometimes it was QB.  Often it wasn't.  

But overall it was way too high a percentage of plays for guys to be failing to execute base assignments on line or QB reads.

Ultimately a failure of execution is mainly on HC or OC in this case it is same guy.  I like Nagy.  I think he is smart and is a good coach.    

I think way made some very basic mistakes in way he ran Summer camp and way he was hoping or assuming obvious problems on O line and TE would suddenly solve themselves with time and guys getting healthy.    He never recovered from it in 2019.