The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I think the Bears should be more focused on a SS similar to Amos, one that'll love being in the box and hitting guys so Jackson can do his thing.

IIRC, Jones is a similar player to EJ.

Would LOOOOOOVE to see Kyle Duggar at SS for us. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

In comes Windy to somehow compare Duggar to Shaheen xD

I don’t hate all small school players and he looked good at the combine.

But if your going to take them you better be right because you accepted increased risk when you picked them.

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t hate all small school players and he looked good at the combine.

But if your going to take them you better be right because you accepted increased risk when you picked them.

I don't mind small school guys. A small percentage of them turn out to be good players and a large percentage suck- just like all school size. Arguably the 2 greatest football players ever went to small schools. It is what it is. Unfortunately I don't trust Pace to make the right decisions any longer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't mind small school guys. A small percentage of them turn out to be good players and a large percentage suck- just like all school size. Arguably the 2 greatest football players ever went to small schools. It is what it is. Unfortunately I don't trust Pace to make the right decisions any longer

My problem is assuming the amount of risk he took on in one draft and it 100% blew up  in his face.

-trades up

-drafts the least accomplished QB

-drafts a division 2 TE in round 2

All of those risks crashed and burned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Would LOOOOOOVE to see Kyle Duggar at SS for us. 

I have no idea what Pace may do in FA but what I'm hoping is that he can add talent at TE and RG at prices that make sense and not look to set the market on a kid like Hooper is in no way and once in decade type player.  I'm not super impressed with this years crop of TEs but the supply is good enough to assure we should be able to draft one and spend a fraction of what Hooper may get.

If we can afford to spend that #43 pick on defense Duggar or Chin look like SS who would be ranked about there and along with my guy Zack Baun.  At least one of those three should still be on the board.  Then we'd still have #50 to use on a TE or an OL or trade down in order to pick up a 3rd round pick.  I'd be looking quality guys who can contribute day one like Whitehair and Daniels have.

9 hours ago, soulman said:

I have no idea what Pace may do in FA but what I'm hoping is that he can add talent at TE and RG at prices that make sense and not look to set the market on a kid like Hooper is in no way and once in decade type player.  I'm not super impressed with this years crop of TEs but the supply is good enough to assure we should be able to draft one and spend a fraction of what Hooper may get.

If we can afford to spend that #43 pick on defense Duggar or Chin look like SS who would be ranked about there and along with my guy Zack Baun.  At least one of those three should still be on the board.  Then we'd still have #50 to use on a TE or an OL or trade down in order to pick up a 3rd round pick.  I'd be looking quality guys who can contribute day one like Whitehair and Daniels have.

Wading into a mediocre draft class needing a contributing TE, which is a position that traditionally takes some time, seems like a poor response to a critical need.

Hooper is going to reset the market for about 5 minutes before Kittle blows the roof off of what Hooper got. He is not a once in a decade player, but none of the free agents we have signed and had success with outside of maybe Julius Peppers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Wading into a mediocre draft class needing a contributing TE, which is a position that traditionally takes some time, seems like a poor response to a critical need.

Hooper is going to reset the market for about 5 minutes before Kittle blows the roof off of what Hooper got. He is not a once in a decade player, but none of the free agents we have signed and had success with outside of maybe Julius Peppers.

In only two instances during the past decade did we "set the market" for a position and in both cases we did it to obtain two once in a decade defensive players, Pep and Mack.  FWIW I would never say never but I just don't see Pace breaking the bank for Hooper.

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

My problem is assuming the amount of risk he took on in one draft and it 100% blew up  in his face.

-trades up

-drafts the least accomplished QB

-drafts a division 2 TE in round 2

All of those risks crashed and burned.

This is a valid point.  He followed it up with an injury risk player in Jackson and another small school pick that was undersized to boot.

He was really out on a limb that year and swinging for fences.  

For a brief moment it was looking like a grand slam draft with MT and Shaheen reportedly showing promise in 2018 offseason.  Jackson playing like an all pro and Cohen being a nice playmaker.  

I think TEs are generally some of riskiest players you can draft regardless.   They get hurt a lot even if they are talented.  And a lot of can’t miss guys miss or are just so so.

Almost one of those positions you just luck into with a surprise showing by a mid round guy.  

54 minutes ago, soulman said:

In only two instances during the past decade did we "set the market" for a position and in both cases we did it to obtain two once in a decade defensive players, Pep and Mack.  FWIW I would never say never but I just don't see Pace breaking the bank for Hooper.

I agree. I think Ebron is the safer bet, say what you will about his hands/attitude "issues"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

The market is usually set by guys who do not switch teams. Which will be the case at TE 5 minutes after Hooper signs when Kittle re-signs. The reason that is is so depressed is that 1. there are not a lot of really good TEs and 2. Kelce and Ertz re-signed 3 years ago and that was over 35 million in cap increases since then.

RT, TE and S are positions that have lagged for years behind where they should be.

If you pay Hooper 12/season you are "overpaying" by a couple of million based on past contracts. The cap is about to explode who cares about "over paying" by 2-3 million. You are worried about spare change at that point.

Edited by WindyCity