spilltray

Aaron Jones contract: What do you do?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Plans for Aaron Jones?

• EXTEND HIM NOW!
    • Make a good long term offer in season
    • Franchise tag 2021
    • Leaves in FA after this season

I thought this would be an interesting discussion.

I get everything Jones did that was wonderful this year, but I still don't like paying RB big money deals. The success is next to impossible to maintain and many RBs can look good if the blocking is solid. I'm a bit torn. Right now I'd lean towards potential franchise for next season and trying to find some replacements before 2022, but I am sure some people want to lock him up now too.

The "Mama dont let your kids grow up to running backs" thread.

The guy just established (?) tied (?) the single season TD record.
The guy just got us to where we got this season....can you imagine things w/o him? Hello?
And he's getting the "What have you done for me.....errrrrrr......We dont care what you've done or can do for me cause we think we can replace you easily" treatment.

Not thinking Zeke or Todd money........but.....we gotta at least FT the guy for a year no?  I dont see RB high on our draft radar screen.

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

The "Mama dont let your kids grow up to running backs" thread.

The guy just established (?) tied (?) the single season TD record.
The guy just got us to where we got this season....can you imagine things w/o him? Hello?
And he's getting the "What have you done for me.....errrrrrr......We dont care what you've done or can do for me cause we think we can replace you easily" treatment.

Not thinking Zeke or Todd money........but.....we gotta at least FT the guy for a year no?  I dont see RB high on our draft radar screen.

If there's anything that we've learned from the history of the Shanny/Zibbs ZBS systems, it's that you absolutely have to pay your RBs, right? You just can't have success with a group of UDFA and cast off RBs?

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If there's anything that we've learned from the history of the Shanny/Zibbs ZBS systems, it's that you absolutely have to pay your RBs, right? You just can't have success with a group of UDFA and cast off RBs?

I got the whole: "You dont pay RBs" theory. Heard it plenty of times...and I'm not even saying AJs some all world talent.....but - he did carry our water for a good portion of this season. He was responsible for a good portion of our success. Can he be replaced? Everybody can. Would I like to keep the current record holder for most TDs by a RB in GB history around for awhile? During his prime? Yes. If we can. Yes.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

I got the whole: "You dont pay RBs" theory. Heard it plenty of times...and I'm not even saying AJs some all world talent.....but - he did carry our water for a good portion of this season. He was responsible for a good portion of our success. Can he be replaced? Everybody can. Would I like to keep the current record holder for most TDs by a RB in GB history around for awhile? During his prime? Yes. If we can. Yes.

Don't let the TDs fool you into thinking that Jones is irreplaceable. The decision was made to take the ball out of Rodgers hands and put the offense on the backs of Jones and the offensive line. The TDs are inflated. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Don't let the TDs fool you into thinking that Jones is irreplaceable.

I dont think that of any player.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The decision was made to take the ball out of Rodgers hands and put the offense on the backs of Jones and the offensive line. The TDs are inflated. 

Perhaps so - but the guy who can match that production isnt currently on the roster - unless you feel Dexter is the guy.

I dont think the SF / NFCCG sample is necessarily consistent with the theory you can take any ole RB off the street (or multiple rosters.....) and make him a star based on system alone. Sure it was done - in that game. The SF RB (Mosert?) didnt have a season's worth of that performance. Our DL and scheme (and their overall talent on offense which we had to account for) had alot to do with his numbers. 

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont think that of any player.

Perhaps so - but the guy who can match that production isnt currently on the roster - unless you feel Dexter is the guy.

I dont think the SF / NFCCG sample is necessarily consistent with the theory you can take any ole RB off the street (or multiple rosters.....) and make him a star based on system alone. Sure it was done - in that game. The SF RB (Mosert?) didnt have a season's worth of that performance. Our DL and scheme (and their overall talent on offense which we had to account for) had alot to do with his numbers. 

How much of that TD production are you losing though if you swap in Williams or use a WR for those pop passes/

Jones is great, but emotions aside, he's a RB and they have just about become a dime a dozen, especially in the ZBS, so throwing money at a 2nd contract for a RB is almost always a bad move and not worth the gamble.  I hate to say this, but if he holds out, and honestly, I won't blame him if he does, Gute might want to consider trading him, and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to draft a RB on day 3.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd be OK transition tagging Jones next year and then letting him get that big deal after that. RBs are easy to find.

This works for me as well. No long term commitment. No long term outlay - but short term production and the offense doesnt skip a beat.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Draft Anthony McFarland in this year's draft. Boom, you've replaced Aaron Jones.

Cant speak to the talent but will take your word for it and agree with the overall process.

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How much of that TD production are you losing though if you swap in Williams or use a WR for those pop passes/

Dont know. Neither of us can say. Dexter is a complete wild card at this stage.

Edited by Leader

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Dont know. Neither of us can say. Dexter is a complete wild card at this stage.

I was thinking he meant the other Williams that we know what we have and it's reasonably solid.

Jones is a very good RB, but his production is as much opportunity as talent. Is it worth it to pay a high end contract? If you think you can throw 4th round or later picks at RB and get solid production, that money could be much better spent on the OL to bolster the running game.

• Like 1