Aaron Jones contract: What do you do?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Plans for Aaron Jones?

• EXTEND HIM NOW!
    • Make a good long term offer in season
    • Franchise tag 2021
    • Leaves in FA after this season

1 hour ago, dwaye50327 said:

Ok, I kinda see where people are coming from, but I thought he was under contract for another year anyways and if so we are we so worried about this now? With him and williams on the roster for next season, I wouldn't take a RB before the 5th or 6th if at all.

Because this is Football's FUTURE and if you aren't planning on extending or franchise tagging him you might be more interested replacements in this year's draft. 

It is also a good discussion starter.

35 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Because this is Football's FUTURE and if you aren't planning on extending or franchise tagging him you might be more interested replacements in this year's draft. 

It is also a good discussion starter.

I'd consider Green Bay more opportunistic in regards to drafting a RB, but I wonder about the optics of drafting a RB.  I can't imagine we'd draft a RB in the first two rounds, but if we've got some good value RB in R3, would the Packers pull the trigger?  And if they did, what is Aaron Jones' response?

Just now, CWood21 said:

And if they did, what is Aaron Jones' response?

Improve on last season so much that the rookie never sees the field and in return gets a massive payday from another team, netting us a third round compensatory pick to compensate us for having used a 3rd round pick the previous year. 

Poor Aaron Jones getting paid millions in a warmer climate so we don't have to get stuck in a bad contract at RB like so many other teams. 

I love Aaron Jones, but not enough to pay him. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Improve on last season so much that the rookie never sees the field and in return gets a massive payday from another team, netting us a third round compensatory pick to compensate us for having used a 3rd round pick the previous year. 

Poor Aaron Jones getting paid millions in a warmer climate so we don't have to get stuck in a bad contract at RB like so many other teams. 

I love Aaron Jones, but not enough to pay him. 

IF we take a RB on Day 2, I guarantee that Aaron Jones isn't going to be happy.  Is that going to hold him to force a holdout?

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF we take a RB on Day 2, I guarantee that Aaron Jones isn't going to be happy.  Is that going to hold him to force a holdout?

I mean, I would think the packers have many more pressing problems to address in their first three picks. Even if they trade down, I'd have to imagine the most they'll have is 4 picks in the first two days.

I would think that DL, LB, CB, and WR would all take precedence over RB2 in this case.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Good.  Trade him a year early if he does.  I say trade him right now BEFORE he holds out.  Value for a player drops the moment they express wanting to leave or wanting a new deal.  I’d think we could get a high second round pick for him right now.  That’s our starting ILB.  That’s being able to take OT in one and still get two more starters on defense.  

Jones had 1,100 rushing yards and 49 receptions for 500 yards.  He’s not some irreplaceable piece as likable as he is.  He had 15 (ONLY 15) receptions in the final 8 games of the season.  If that’s not proof that Rodgers flat out will not implement running backs in the passing game as long as Adams is healthy I don’t know what is.  

With a QB who forces teams to cover him on every play, Jones is an MVP candidate. He will never be that here as long as Rodgers is starting.  Why wouldn’t we get MVP value in a trade and not have to spend MVP money on pro bowl output?  

I am seriously depressed at what I just learned.  

Aaron Jones had 49 receptions on the season, only 15 in the final 8 games.  That is inexcusable.  Absolutely inexcusable.  He had 5 against the Niners in the championship loss.  Only ONE TARGET IN THE ENTIRE FIRST HALF.  

How many times do I have to bring this **** up about Rodgers?  The same damn thing happened against the Falcons, too.  He starts so ****ing slowly against these teams because...

Aaron Jones is an MVP for any other QB in this league and yet we’ve got Rodgers with a ****ing RB allergy at 36 years old.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Good.  Trade him a year early if he does.  I say trade him right now BEFORE he holds out.  Value for a player drops the moment they express wanting to leave or wanting a new deal.  I’d think we could get a high second round pick for him right now.  That’s our starting ILB.  That’s being able to take OT in one and still get two more starters on defense.

I'm not convinced we'd get that much in return for him.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not convinced we'd get that much in return for him.

You think that we couldn’t get a second round pick for a running back that had 1,600 yards and like 18 touchdowns on the year?  Half the teams in the league would trade their second round pick just for the ticket sales boost.

Edited by Outpost31

4 hours ago, coachbuns said:

He'll get good money no doubt and if on the low end of high (whatever that is) sign him.  If he's looking for THAT kind of money you mentioned ... bye.

I'd agree.  I think they should try to work out a deal with him, but if they are shooting for the moon that probably dictates the next step.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

You think that we couldn’t get a second round pick for a running back that had 1,600 yards and like 18 touchdowns on the year?  Half the teams in the league would trade their second round pick just for the ticket sales boost.

Nope.  He had 1 game with 100+ receiving yards and 5 games with 100+ rushing yards.  For the same reason why you're advocating trading Aaron Jones is the same reason why I'm skeptical that anyone is going to give up what the Packers would need to move him.  Last year, the Chargers saw Melvin Gordon holdout and if a team was willing to give up a SRP for him, I'd imagine the deal would have gotten done especially since the Chargers weren't going to give Melvin Gordon the big deal he was seeking.  I don't think there's any recent historical evidence that suggests that a SRP is a likely return for him.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Nope.  He had 1 game with 100+ receiving yards and 5 games with 100+ rushing yards.  For the same reason why you're advocating trading Aaron Jones is the same reason why I'm skeptical that anyone is going to give up what the Packers would need to move him.  Last year, the Chargers saw Melvin Gordon holdout and if a team was willing to give up a SRP for him, I'd imagine the deal would have gotten done especially since the Chargers weren't going to give Melvin Gordon the big deal he was seeking.  I don't think there's any recent historical evidence that suggests that a SRP is a likely return for him.

First of all, who uses SRP for second round pick? 

That's some Leader stuff. 

Use 2nd. 

"Give up a 2nd."  We know this is a second round pick. 

SRP could be Seizure Reducing Pick.  It could be a Second Rep Player.  It could be Serious Responsibility Player. 

I should not have to be telling a mod this.  Do better. 

2nd, the reason Gordon wasn't traded was because the holdout/contract talk materialized in the press and in every GM's ears.  The value for Jones is at its highest right now.  Before contract talks, before there are any rumors leaking.  He's healthy (Gordon was not).  He played in 16 games (Gordon played in 12).  He had 19 total touchdowns (Gordon had 15). 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

First of all, who uses SRP for second round pick? 

That's some Leader stuff. 

Use 2nd. 

"Give up a 2nd."  We know this is a second round pick. 

SRP could be Seizure Reducing Pick.  It could be a Second Rep Player.  It could be Serious Responsibility Player. 

I should not have to be telling a mod this.  Do better. 

2nd, the reason Gordon wasn't traded was because the holdout/contract talk materialized in the press and in every GM's ears.  The value for Jones is at its highest right now.  Before contract talks, before there are any rumors leaking.  He's healthy (Gordon was not).  He played in 16 games (Gordon played in 12).  He had 19 total touchdowns (Gordon had 15). 

I don't even have words right now.

• Like 2