Aaron Jones contract: What do you do?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Plans for Aaron Jones?

• EXTEND HIM NOW!
    • Make a good long term offer in season
    • Franchise tag 2021
    • Leaves in FA after this season

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Paying a ton of money to a RB is a great way to make sure your WR group stays trash

Although Antonio Freeman (Packers 5th pick in 1995 at the end of round three), or Driver (7th round) mean gems can sometimes be found and are cheap for a few years. Perhaps more to the point is that any receiver taken now wouldn't be up for a big second contract until A.Jones three year extension is up. By that time it probably would be the place to roll the dice for Jones replacement.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

0 first half points and Rodgers personally killing 4/6 drives is plenty of reason to mercilessly roast Rodgers for an absolutely trash game.

Aaron Rodgers was the worst player on the field against the 49ers before garbage time.

Your reading skills suck kid.  I specifically said that Rodgers played terrible in the game and you wanted to spin it into your typical pompous ****** bag response.   Pretty typical but you read what you wanted to read instead of what was typed.  

If you thought of a way to blame Rodgers for our bad run defense while thinking it made you sound like you were the smartest guy in the room you'd go forward and eagerly blame it on him.  Truth be told, there hasn't been one single offensive deficiency this year that you haven't blamed 100% on Rodgers.  I get it.  He's the worst starting QB in the NFL and had NOTHING to do with the team winning 13 games.  He's ****ty QB who you will forever hate because he's not playing for free.  Funny how Rodgers suddenly became one of the NFL's 2 or 3 worst starting QBs after he got paid.

Edited by SSG

35 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

0 first half points and Rodgers personally killing 4/6 drives is plenty of reason to mercilessly roast Rodgers for an absolutely trash game.

Aaron Rodgers was the worst player on the field against the 49ers before garbage time.

Over reaction

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

Your reading skills suck kid.  I specifically said that Rodgers played terrible in the game and you wanted to spin it into your typical pompous ****** bag response.   Pretty typical but you read what you wanted to read instead of what was typed.  

If you thought of a way to blame Rodgers for our bad run defense while thinking it made you sound like you were the smartest guy in the room you'd go forward and eagerly blame it on him.  Truth be told, there hasn't been one single offensive deficiency this year that you haven't blamed 100% on Rodgers.  I get it.  He's the worst starting QB in the NFL and had NOTHING to do with the team winning 13 games.  He's ****ty QB who you will forever hate because he's not playing for free.  Funny how Rodgers suddenly became one of the NFL's 2 or 3 worst starting QBs after he got paid.

The run defense sucked and Rodgers sucked. They're two independent events. Rodgers was worse than the run defense when the game mattered.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:36 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yards Before Contact per rush/Yards After Contact per rush/Rush Attempts per Broken Tackle

Henry: 1.9/3.2/10.4

Chubb: 2.1/3.0/9.3

McCaffrey: 3.0/1.8/17.9

Elliott: 2.3/2.3/12.5

Carson: 1.8/2.6/9.9

[Discounting Lamar Jackson]

Fournette: 1.4/3.0/16.6

Jacobs: 1.9/2.8/9.3

Mixon: 1.8/2.3/11.6

Cook: 2.2/2.4/12.5

Mack: 2.4/2.0/20.6

Jones: 2.4/2.2/7.4

Of the guys with just as many carries as him, Jones gets the second most yardage before contact and the third least yards after contact. Admittedly he does break a lot of tackles, but it isn't leading to a ton of yardage. 

Some back avoid contact longer as well, or their ability keeps tacklers hesitant.

i mean Barry Sanders had alot of yards before contact and thats not cause it was blocked well...

Jones would be much better an one hand touch football than our other backs..

Edited by fattlipp

2 hours ago, SSG said:

As for what to do with Jones, I don't have an answer.  I think he's one of the 5-7 most talented backs in the league but with our WR core being nothing short of a dumpster fire I'm not sure we can afford to pay him the contract he likely deserves. With CMC and Kamara coming up for contracts soon its going to be interesting to see what the NFL does with the position.

The real issue here is, duh, paying RB's.  The Rams moved that line forward with the Gurley deal.  So, if you are now an elite RB, that's the measuring stick.  Dallas had to exceed it for Zeke.

We shall see what happens with CMC, Kamara and Jones.  Sure would be easier if the Rams hadn't given such a large deal to Gurley.

56 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The real issue here is, duh, paying RB's.  The Rams moved that line forward with the Gurley deal.  So, if you are now an elite RB, that's the measuring stick.  Dallas had to exceed it for Zeke. We shall see what happens with CMC, Kamara and Jones.  Sure would be easier if the Rams hadn't given such a large deal to Gurley.

I think the Gurley deal can be looked at as an outlier:

Cash considerations not with standing (and it was a lot), his injury (which was a "could happen" issue beforehand....) came to fruition and outright killed his production. His career? We'll see. Take that "crash" off the board however and keep his production on an even (if not ascending) arc - sure, he'd still cost a pretty penny - but he was a mainstay of the LAR attack and the contributions and team outcomes would look different.

The LAR organization implemented a somewhat different approach to roster building. Draft and development took a back seat to patching together an All Star team - which clearly isnt the cheaper way to go.

The GB context is a team / organization that maintained a *high level* of success on the field - for an extended number of years.
NFCN dominance and continued playoff appearances. Yearly drafting somewhere in the mid to late 20's and never went into cap hell. 
A few contracts that got out of hand as they matured - but still - they never hamstrung the organization to where they couldnt make moves.

AJ's never gonna see Zeke or Gurley numbers. Not a concern IMO.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The run defense sucked and Rodgers sucked. They're two independent events. Rodgers was worse than the run defense when the game mattered.

Honestly, you do come out with some really intelligent and insightful stuff. You also come out with some utter garbage, its obviously the forum equivalent of clickbait and people shouldn't bite but whatever I will as I'm bored.

Rodgers led three touchdown drives. When the game was relevant, he was at least moving the ball positively. The run defence barely did a positive thing all game.

When the game was still live - Rodgers led a touchdown drive to put us within 14 points. At this point, we needed the run defence to make a stop. But they couldn't. Even when the 49ers didn't even try and throw, the run defence was beyond useless. When the game mattered Rodgers did actually do something (too late but he did something). You can't say that about the run defence. They did nothing when the game mattered. 

I don't understand the vendetta people like you have Rodgers but you need to get over it. Yes, he isn't playing like a 30m quarterback. We all know that, nobody is disputing that. No he wasn't great against the 49ers but he wasn't the reason we lost. 

Most of the people defending Rodgers are in a funny scenario as he has annoyed most of us this season and privately will be raging at him at times as well.  But when you get the OTT sensationalist nonsense like this then end up defending him more than we probably would.

• Like 1

Regarding Adams,

I suppose it depends on how the off-season goes. Of the skill players, he is the only young playmaker we have on the roster. As things stand, you pretty much have no option but to pay him as we can't lose him.

If we nail the draft offensively then it changes things and you have more flexibility. But if you are planning on letting him walk then we need to be hitting on receivers and running back in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I think the Gurley deal can be looked at as an outlier:  Flat out, you are wrong.  If you are an agent representing a running back, the Gurley and Zeke contracts are the lines you are looking at.  When the Rams moved that RB compensation forward for Gurley, Zeke used that to negotiate his deal.  Now Kamara, McCaffrey and Jones will reference those contracts when negotiating.  If you were the agent for Jones, you'd use them as benchmarks as well.

Cash considerations not with standing (and it was a lot), his injury (which was a "could happen" issue beforehand....) came to fruition and outright killed his production. His career? We'll see. Take that "crash" off the board however and keep his production on an even (if not ascending) arc - sure, he'd still cost a pretty penny - but he was a mainstay of the LAR attack and the contributions and team outcomes would look different.  Not sure what this has to do with anything.  Are you saying that RB's can be hurt and diminish value?  If so, okay.

The LAR organization implemented a somewhat different approach to roster building. Draft and development took a back seat to patching together an All Star team - which clearly isnt the cheaper way to go.  Drafted and developed a lot of guys, Brokers, Gurley, Goff, Kupp, Donald.  Not sure that putting Fowler on the team wasn't a good thing to do.  Added Ramsey to fill a void at corner.  I wouldn't say that draft and develop took a backseat, I think they got aggressive with their window.  Which is wise.  

The GB context is a team / organization that maintained a *high level* of success on the field - for an extended number of years.
NFCN dominance and continued playoff appearances. Yearly drafting somewhere in the mid to late 20's and never went into cap hell. 
A few contracts that got out of hand as they matured - but still - they never hamstrung the organization to where they couldnt make moves.  And....?  I guess I'm missing your point here.

AJ's never gonna see Zeke or Gurley numbers. Not a concern IMO.  So, if you are AJ's agent...how do you set his market value if you do not look at the Gurley and Zeke deals?  Freeman?  McKinnon?  Bell?  Johnson?  I don't think he gets those numbers either, you have to know that his agent is using those deals to set what AJ is worth.  Had those deals not been done, and I'd argue specifically Gurley, that line in the sand may be much more inexpensive.

It just isn't prudent to believe that those other contracts will not affect AJ's worth to the open market.  They surely will.

24 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Honestly, you do come out with some really intelligent and insightful stuff. You also come out with some utter garbage, its obviously the forum equivalent of clickbait and people shouldn't bite but whatever I will as I'm bored.

Rodgers led three touchdown drives. When the game was relevant, he was at least moving the ball positively. The run defence barely did a positive thing all game.

When the game was still live - Rodgers led a touchdown drive to put us within 14 points. At this point, we needed the run defence to make a stop. But they couldn't. Even when the 49ers didn't even try and throw, the run defence was beyond useless. When the game mattered Rodgers did actually do something (too late but he did something). You can't say that about the run defence. They did nothing when the game mattered. 

I don't understand the vendetta people like you have Rodgers but you need to get over it. Yes, he isn't playing like a 30m quarterback. We all know that, nobody is disputing that. No he wasn't great against the 49ers but he wasn't the reason we lost. 

Most of the people defending Rodgers are in a funny scenario as he has annoyed most of us this season and privately will be raging at him at times as well.  But when you get the OTT sensationalist nonsense like this then end up defending him more than we probably would.

That game wasn't relevant in the second half. We scored 28 points or more in an entire game 4 times this year. Scored 28 points in a half 0 times. The offense just isn't good enough to score that. 

Rodgers had 14 drives against the 49ers in the first half this year. He produced 0 points. He fumbled three times, lost two, and added an interception. He was hot streaming trash. Just like he's hot streaming trash against most good defenses.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That game wasn't relevant in the second half. We scored 28 points or more in an entire game 4 times this year. Scored 28 points in a half 0 times. The offense just isn't good enough to score that. 

Rodgers had 14 drives against the 49ers in the first half this year. He produced 0 points. He fumbled three times, lost two, and added an interception. He was hot streaming trash. Just like he's hot streaming trash against most good defenses.

It is relavent. Pats won the SB in similar situation.