Aaron Jones contract: What do you do?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Plans for Aaron Jones?

• EXTEND HIM NOW!
    • Make a good long term offer in season
    • Franchise tag 2021
    • Leaves in FA after this season

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Teams started covering Jones with cornerbacks and safeties and not linebackers once Davante Adams came back.  Lol.  They put that linebacker on Davante Adams instead.

Yes after there were a few games of tape with Jones being used as a primary receiver, other teams prioritized him often and he was the second focus of their pass coverage. Yes Rodgers missed him some too but the targets were way down too because the matchups weren't as good. That's nothing against Jones. If the Packers had a competent WR corps, they'd have had an answer to that, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwaye50327 said:

If thats the case, can you explain to me why? From what I've read so far on here is that he isn't going to be the guy that runs for over 1500 yards or score lots of TD, which would drive his price way up, so he would stay relatively cheap. If the packers go out and draft a guy, does really well, demands more money, then we are in the same boat. If Williams stays healthy for a long period of time, why not make him the guy, let him rush for his 700-900 yards per year.

Not absolutely sure what the "Why?" comment means.

If it means why not make him the lead RB, there are more dynamic players out there.
If it means why keep him, I've detailed that in my previous post, he is what he is, a very useful complementary back that shouldn't break the bank on a second contract, someone who could be replaced without great difficulty, but also someone who brings enough things to his overall game, that any replacement would struggle to be as rounded as he is.

Aaron Jones trade value right now is probably a 2020 4th, meaning that's what we would be asking for him, because we will probably get a 2022 4th if we let him walk next year. Trading him is ridiculous.

You keep him for a year. If he gets hurt and/or has a lesser year, you try and scrape something out of it. If he balls out, you say thank you and let him get paid by someone else. 

I don't mind paying a RB, but not when we're paying the QB. As long as Rodgers is here, we have to make due with rookie RB contracts and maybe a cheaper vet (Tyler Ervin, Corey Grant as 2019 examples)

8 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Not absolutely sure what the "Why?" comment means.

If it means why not make him the lead RB, there are more dynamic players out there.
If it means why keep him, I've detailed that in my previous post, he is what he is, a very useful complementary back that shouldn't break the bank on a second contract, someone who could be replaced without great difficulty, but also someone who brings enough things to his overall game, that any replacement would struggle to be as rounded as he is.

More dynamic players that are going to want lots of money, that no one on this forums wants to spend.

Nobody really knows how a player will pan out, I bet no one would have though AJ would have scored over 20 TDs this year when he was a back up. If thats the case, everyone on this forum would be a GM for a NFL team.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I need to step away from this site for today.  Too many people here are allergic to common sense and deductive skills.  Lol, teams started covering Aaron Jones more and Davante Adams less.  I wouldn't want an outbreak of thinking to occur some of you might not make it. 

I need to step away.  I am starting to itch and wheeze.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not an issue. Next year we'll have better WRs and TEs and it will be less than 91 receptions.

This is what I was alluding to in the pay AJ or not discussion.

Everybody's replaceable. Dont want to pay AJ? Fine. Replace his production somehow - but do it while he's still around and we *know* letting him go isnt going to set the offense back.

Nothing against the guy, but at this stage, nothing indicates Dexter's gonna be that guy. FA doesnt seem in the works -- so either draft his replacement - or build up the passing game so the RB becomes less prominent.

Minus that build up - we're letting a major offensive producer walk cause we dont want to extend him second contract or tag him for a year. Thats a lot of TDs to replace.

Edited by Leader

Advanced issues found

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is what I was alluding to in the pay AJ or not discussion.

Everybody's replaceable. Dont want to pay AJ? Fine. Replace his production somehow - but do it while he's still around and we *know* letting him go isnt going to set the offense back.

Nothing against the guy, but at this stage, nothing indicates Dexter's gonna be that guy. FA doesnt seem in the works -- so either draft his replacement - or build up the passing game so the RB becomes less prominent.

Minus that build up - we're letting a major offensive producer walk cause we dont want to extend him second contract or tag him for a year. Thats a lot of TDs to replace.

Those Touchdowns were done once in his career -- he'll regress on those next year and this conversation will be irrelevant. 1,000 yard rushers wont be hard to come by in this offense with that OL. 

I’d lean toward the idea to offer him a two-year contract, with multiple performance incentives. He’s a gifted running back, and was available all season long this year. I don’t think you move on from Jones until you have a viable replacement. As posted by others, Jamaal is a nice complementary player, but he’s not a replacement for Aaron Jones.

From a personal standpoint, I think he’s really fun to watch. He moves like he’s articulated at the waist!

Edited by JQ1

22 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He wasn't a consistent threat. He had 10 games with fewer than 60 yards rushing. He ended up as a league average receiver at the running back position 

The fact that GB managed to have elite offenses all those years with mediocre backs should tell you the story. 

The Superbowl teams should tell you the story. Get a young guy cheap and then a proven mid level guy at 4ish per year. You don't go out and spend 10.

I didn't realize this part when I was for trading him if we can get more than a 3rd. This is even more of a compelling reason to trade him this off season if we can get more than a 3rd. If only takes one GM to pull the trigger. He's not getting 3rd round comp pick money next off season anyway. Best we get is a 4th in 2022 draft. 

Take a second or third this year, two years ahead of the comp pick. If you can get someone to give it to you! 

Regardless, I think you have to enter this years draft with the idea of drafting his potential replacement. The trouble is, I think you have 4 needs (DL, ILB, CB3, WR2) which warrant a higher consideration over a second RB. That puts you in a tough spot to replace Jones, unless you think you can get 80% of the same production with a late round pick.

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I didn't realize this part when I was for trading him if we can get more than a 3rd. This is even more of a compelling reason to trade him this off season if we can get more than a 3rd. If only takes one GM to pull the trigger. He's not getting 3rd round comp pick money next off season anyway. Best we get is a 4th in 2022 draft. Take a second or third this year, two years ahead of the comp pick. If you can get someone to give it to you! 

The guy just set the single season record for RB TDs and you want to trade him for a 3rd round draft pick? In what GM world does that make sense (?) especially when its known that replacement for those TDs doesnt currently exist on the roster?

You want to trade (or not pay him?). Fine. Not a problem "per se" so long as you replace those TDs with greater roster talent before you do. Unless you think Jamaal, Dexter, Ervin etc are gonna do the trick. In which case, you need to say so.

Additionally, if you want to accept that we have a QB that will offer diminishing returns and for whom reliance on RBs in the passing game will probably become greater - not less - dont unplug the position from offensive production until the talent's on the roster that can either be relied on directly (read: positionally) or allow for a greater sharing of the wealth (or burden) on offense (read: more receiving talent).

14 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Regardless, I think you have to enter this years draft with the idea of drafting his potential replacement. The trouble is, I think you have 4 needs (DL, ILB, CB3, WR2) which warrant a higher consideration over a second RB. That puts you in a tough spot to replace Jones, unless you think you can get 80% of the same production with a late round pick.

I mean Jones was a 5th Rounder. You can get a guy to produce in the late rounds, especially at RB.

Now, it might not be 20 TD's a year or whatever but that's going to be hard to replicate regardless.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

I didn't realize this part when I was for trading him if we can get more than a 3rd. This is even more of a compelling reason to trade him this off season if we can get more than a 3rd. If only takes one GM to pull the trigger. He's not getting 3rd round comp pick money next off season anyway. Best we get is a 4th in 2022 draft. 

Take a second or third this year, two years ahead of the comp pick. If you can get someone to give it to you! 

Running Jones into the ground for 2 years in our offense is more valuable than a 2-3 round pick. We aren't the Jets or Dolphins, the results on the field next year are more important than future draft picks.

Get everything you can out of Jones this year, transition tag him and then let him get a big deal somewhere else in 2022.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

We'll have to find the next Aaron Jones in the 5th again.  I agree, our other needs that you mentioned in your post here are more pressing IMO than RB this offseason.