KJ Costello transferring to Miss State

naptownskinsfan

Interesting choice, I am sure Costello wants a similar breakout season like Gordon and Minshew had on Washington State.  Sadly for him Miss State is in the SEC, that team is not built to pass the football in a spread offense and the entire roster is new to the system just like Costello will be.  That OL is not made to pass block like Leach's offenses do and those receivers are not exactly natural pass catchers.  At least they have Hill back at RB which will help but Costello has a lot to work on with that release and his pocket mechanics.  

Will see how good of coach Leach is and how quickly and he transform that offense.  Decent choice for Costello I suppose but sadly for him it is not Washington State he is transferring to and it will be a lot harder at Miss State than Gordon had this past year on Washington State.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Smart move for him, he'll light it up for sure.

You really think so?  Who on Miss State is a next level receiver, or even a good natural pass catcher?  The RB is the only next level offensive weapon they have currently I feel.  On Washington State last year I count six guys including the RB who are either a next level receiver, UDFA or are at least a good natural pass catcher.

Miss State has to completely flip the system in one year but will see just how good of a coach Leach is.  I would be surprised if they are some high level offense instantly next year, it will take some time for him to get the OL he needs and the receivers he is used to with his offense.  

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:08 PM, Ozzy said:

You really think so?  Who on Miss State is a next level receiver, or even a good natural pass catcher?  The RB is the only next level offensive weapon they have currently I feel.  On Washington State last year I count six guys including the RB who are either a next level receiver, UDFA or are at least a good natural pass catcher.

Miss State has to completely flip the system in one year but will see just how good of a coach Leach is.  I would be surprised if they are some high level offense instantly next year, it will take some time for him to get the OL he needs and the receivers he is used to with his offense.  

1) This is "in theory"

2) Who on WSU was a next level receiver or natural pass catcher when he first got there? This is not an issue IMO, they have the advantage of great  Mississippi JUCOs, the transfer portal, and SEC which means greater recruiting budget, way, way more than they had at Washington State.

3) If Leach were smart, he could slowly integrate his system and use those big OL with the RPO game and use their great running game to their advantage

4)  Also he was smart in hiring Zach Arnett who is a rising star in the coaching ranks as his DC will be a major help for them

5)  If it isn't already evident, all you need with Leach is a competent QB and the system, but by all means is he going to go 13-0 in the first year, as a matter of fact, I think 7 wins the first year is pretty fair

6) Maybe I'm just a little more objective about the move moving forward....

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 2:14 PM, MikeT14 said:

And we can always count on Darren Rovell to insert his foot into his mouth. 

Rovell is terrible.  I don't say this about many people, but how he still has a job boggles my mind.  Also, as a grad transfer, who is really focused on adding a new offensive system to his resume, I doubt he is concerned at all with how Miss State is ranked academically.  This is a pure football move, plain and simple.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Rovell is terrible.  I don't say this about many people, but how he still has a job boggles my mind.  Also, as a grad transfer, who is really focused on adding a new offensive system to his resume, I doubt he is concerned at all with how Miss State is ranked academically.  This is a pure football move, plain and simple.  

A degree from Stanford is just fine, exactly!