2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

20 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Well...

They don’t have a LT. Perhaps they’ll sign or draft someone who will play as well as Penn did last season, which is to say “decently.” As of now, it’s Geron Christian. That’s a downgrade. 

They lost their starting LG. Regardless of how you feel about Wes Martin, he couldn’t beat out Flowers for that job. Until further notice, that’s a downgrade. 

They cut PRich, who had 40ish targets and 30ish receptions last season before succumbing to the injury, and thus far they’ve replaced him with no one. His roster spot currently will be occupied by Cam Sims. That’s a downgrade. 

They cut Reed and Davis retired. Didn’t get much out of them last year, but they did get 4 games and 20 targets out of Davis before his concussion. They currently have Jeremy Sprinkle and Hale Hentges as the starting TE duo. That’s a downgrade. 

Chris Thompson is likely gone, and looks to be replaced by Bryce Love. Maybe Love is a star, but at this point, he’s proven nothing at the NFL level and he’s replacing a guy who was one of the league’s best pass game RBs. Call it probably a downgrade?

Haskins is the same. Backup QB will be worse than Keenum. Peterson is the same. Guice is the same. Roullier/Scherff/Moses are the same. McLaurin/Sims/Harmon are the same. That’s the entirety of the meaningful offensive roster. And there almost assuredly won’t be a pick spent on offense until the 3rd round.

To me, it’s obvious that they currently have even less talent on offense. But if you want to be obstinate, let’s just say they’ve gotten no better around Haskins. At the moment, they appear to be banking entirely on coaching staff changes and offseason improvement to get better. The 32nd ranked offense in football, and they’ve (at best) decided to stand pat to this point. And you’re confused about where the frustration is coming from?

Doomsday. Obviously, I guess our young players can’t improve and we can’t sign other players who aren’t getting overpaid?

And last time I checked, Trent Williams is our starting LT until he’s traded, so technically yeah we do have a starting LT. We signed Wes Schweitzer who was a 3-year starter for the Falcons.

Are you trying to convince me that PRich was better then a healthy young WR?

Cam Sims is replacing PRich? No! At this point Kelvin Harmon is replacing PRich and weren’t you just the one who ranted and raved about how great the 2020 Wr class was after seeing WRs like DHop get traded?

Make up your mind bro!

I can’t even entertain your post as being serious. All the rest of those moves equate to cutting dead weight.

Wow! Just Wow!

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

OMG it takes one second to figure out that he as a 3 year starter for the Falcons and will be only 27 on Sept 11th. Just bc he's not a household name doesn't mean he's a drop off from 

I'm worried that you missed the joke

WES Schweitzer, G

WES Martin, G

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It’s also malpractice to overpay for players. We haven’t even moved Trent yet. I wanted Conklin but I didn’t expect us to sign him with Trent still on the payroll. People are overreacting. There are still plenty of players for us to blow our wad on! Haha 🤣 

No one said to massively overpay for players, but letting Hooper sign that contract without even being in the ballpark IS malpractice.

Remember, as the resident dumpster fire, we are going to overpay a little bit

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

No one said to massively overpay for players, but letting Hooper sign that contract without even being in the ballpark IS malpractice.

Remember, as the resident dumpster fire, we are going to overpay a little bit

We can draft an Austin Hooper. His name is Thadeus Moss, Albert O, Brycen Hopkins, Hunter Bryant, Stephen Sullivan, Jacob Breeland or Harrison Bryant.

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Doomsday. Obviously, I guess our young players can’t improve and we can’t sign other players who aren’t getting overpaid?

And last time I checked, Trent Williams is our starting LT until he’s traded, so technically yeah we do have a starting LT. We signed Wes Schweitzer who was a 3-year starter for the Falcons.

Are you trying to convince me that PRich was better then a healthy young WR?

Cam Sims is replacing PRich? No! At this point Kelvin Harmon is replacing PRich and weren’t you just the one who ranted and raved about how great the 2020 Wr class was after seeing WRs like DHop get traded?

Make up your mind bro!

I can’t even entertain your post as being serious. All the rest of those moves equate to cutting dead weight.

Wow! Just Wow!

Free Agency is a way to plug holes in the roster irrespective of the players already on your roster, improving. 

If your stance is to just bank on the players on the roster from last year improving, then we shouldn't spend any money in FA, right?

With the cap space we have, we shouldn't be standing on the sidelines for guys like Hooper. 

Not saying to give out massive contracts, but to get rid of all those guys and do nothing is irresponsible.

Oh and Chris Thompson is dead weight?

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We can draft an Austin Hooper. His name is Thadeus Moss, Albert O, Brycen Hopkins, Hunter Bryant, Stephen Sullivan, Jacob Breeland or Harrison Bryant.

Yes, but then you're using a pick you could use elsewhere.

To improve a roster, you basically only have two methods...

You have cap space and draft picks.

What you can't add with cap space, needs to be added via picks (or UDFA).

We could've signed Hooper and then used the pick that we now need to use on one of those guys for someone else. 

It's an opportunity cost we didn't need to have to pay. 

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Free Agency is a way to plug holes in the roster irrespective of the players already on your roster, improving. 

If your stance is to just bank on the players on the roster from last year improving, then we shouldn't spend any money in FA, right?

With the cap space we have, we shouldn't be standing on the sidelines for guys like Hooper. 

Not saying to give out massive contracts, but to get rid of all those guys and do nothing is irresponsible.

Oh and Chris Thompson is dead weight?

I just don’t think we should be giving out huge deals to those players. And free agency isn’t over. 

Chris Thompson’s best days are behind him. He’ll be 30 in October 

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I just don’t think we should be giving out huge deals to those players. And free agency isn’t over. 

Chris Thompson’s best days are behind him. He’ll be 30 in October 

Couldn’t agree more,  We have agreed on a lot of things (outside of possible draft trades) this offseason

theres a ton of guys left who can really help this team and not break the bank. Why would we spend a ton of money on multiple players when we know we aren’t anywhere near a Super Bowl?

i could see maybe 1 premier guy but in my head if we could get a bunch of guys like a fuller or a Breeland at CB that will help us more than 1 Byron Jones who will cost us 17 a year with still no chance at a superbowl

Ron is still building this team. We aren’t a premier guy away

Just now, LoganF89 said:

Couldn’t agree more,  We have agreed on a lot of things (outside of possible draft trades) this offseason

theres a ton of guys left who can really help this team and not break the bank. Why would we spend a ton of money on multiple players when we know we aren’t anywhere near a Super Bowl?

i could see maybe 1 premier guy but in my head if we could get a bunch of guys like a fuller or a Breeland at CB that will help us more than 1 Byron Jones who will cost us 17 a year with still no chance at a superbowl

Because you have a 22-year old QB who needs help. Signing guards for depth is not how you do that. We could’ve afford Hooper easily and instead decided it was just too much money. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Because you have a 22-year old QB who needs help. Signing guards for depth is not how you do that. We could’ve afford Hooper easily and instead decided it was just too much money. 

Would signing Hooper have won us a Super Bowl during this season or next? I don’t think it would

ebron, eifert, fells, hollister, reed, walker, are all guys who can improve or roster, not to mention drafting a rookie to back them up and develop with Haskins. Getting a vet doesn’t block the path if we draft a young guy and he succeeds.

i get wanting Hooper, I really do, but it’s not the end of the world not getting him. Any of those guys above with a 3rd or 4th round rookie will work for me. We don’t know what Turners offense will look like, we don’t know how Haskins improvement is coming along. So why spend all that money on a tight end that’s name doesn’t end with Ertz, Kelce, or kittle?

52 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Fuller and Damarious Randall would be cool.