Ravens extend S Chuck Clark (3 years, $19M, $10M GTD)

RaidersAreOne

38 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We've ran into the same situation attempting to replace Troy. Before the Minkah trade, we've been awful at Safety. 

We ran through players like James Ihedigbo, Matt Elam, Darian Steward (who actually played well when he went to the Broncos) to Michael Huff to Terrence Brooks, Will Hill, Kendrick Lewis, Lardarius Webb, Eric Weddle (had one good year and one bad) and Tony Jefferson to Michael Thomas.

We really really struggled finding someone to be solid at safety, and Chuck Clark is the first who didn't seem like a liability. Will Hill, Weddle and Thomas all have had one good year, and time will tell with Thomas, but damn it has been a walk in the dessert since Ed Reed left.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

checks stats before contract year

Yeah, if I was SF I would be MILKING THE HELL out of his play this year lol

Don't get me wrong, we would all love for him to return. And he's always been good even without the sack stats. He just got them this year because of the wide-9 scheme and having two legitimate edge rushers. It's just that we aren't going to be able to give him a LT deal with Buckner/Kittle also gettings theirs this offseason. Or well, it will be VERY difficult to re-sign Armstead to a LT deal. 

9 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Is he likely to be tagged then? Can SF afford to do that?

Yeah, we should be able to work around the cap to tag him. But sign him to a LT deal? Highly unlikely to be honest. 

At worst, I prefer to tag him and have him for 2020 and then let him hit the market and get a 3rd round compensation pick. But want him back for next year for sure. If not, then need a high 2nd or late 1st rounder. Ravens have enough cap space to sign him to a LT deal, right? 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, we should be able to work around the cap to tag him. But sign him to a LT deal? Highly unlikely to be honest. 

At worst, I prefer to tag him and have him for 2020 and then let him hit the market and get a 3rd round compensation pick. But want him back for next year for sure. If not, then need a high 2nd or late 1st rounder. Ravens have enough cap space to sign him to a LT deal, right? 

Theoretically, yes. And I think he'd definitely be a target if he was NOT tagged.

The FO is REALLY hesitant to give up picks, though. They were still salty in their press conferences after the 2019 draft about not having a 2nd round pick, even though it was used to secure the most important player on the team.

Makes sense for the 49ers if they can tag him to keep him for another run. I was perhaps incorrectly assuming they didn't have the money for that.

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Theoretically, yes. And I think he'd definitely be a target if he was NOT tagged.

The FO is REALLY hesitant to give up picks, though. They were still salty in their press conferences after the 2019 draft about not having a 2nd round pick, even though it was used to secure the most important player on the team.

Makes sense for the 49ers if they can tag him to keep him for another run. I was perhaps incorrectly assuming they didn't have the money for that.

They have about 13M in cap space right now but after they release McKinnon/Goodwin and possibly Coleman, they will have enough. And then they can restructure Jimmy's contract and then should have more than enough. But either way, Armstead isn't leaving this year without getting draft compensation back IMO. Either he gets tagged and plays the season out or is somehow signed to a long term deal. The latter is unlikely though.