Bears release WR Taylor Gabriel and CB Prince Amukamara

AFlaccoSeagulls

14 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Is this a sign towards them rebuilding, towards these two just not being seen as worth their non guaranteed money, or hard to say?

Amukamara is old and they just signed the CFL's top corner + they like Toliver who they picked up as a UDFA a few years ago.

Gabriel just isn't that good. He catches everything if it's right to him, but anything outside of his body is a tough catch for him. He is fast but isn't a blazer by any means. 

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

We're supposed to be identical to Kansas City offensively/Schematically...

The problem is we have exactly none of the personnel to actually do that:

-None of our WRs (save Gabriel) are know for their speed, where KC has multiple (draft rumors are that we are looking specifically for speed WRs in the draft... despite us getting 3 WRs we like in the past couple of years)

-We have absolutely no TEs right now, while KC has Kelce (expect a massive overhaul this offseason)

-We had a QB who just isn't statistically able to push the ball downfield with any accuracy (but shows just enough flashes of being good to where he's had no credible competition for his job (likely changing this year.... but what level of competition he gets remains to be seen... I'm not sure we're in the market for a guy who would be an expected starter over Trubisky immediately, as much as a servicable backup/stopgap in case Biscuit continues his downward trend)

-Our running game even when running against light boxes was unproductive this year. Our run blocking in particular was atrocious this year. Our backs (Montgomery and Cohen)at least have potential have be decent /have flashed, and are likely "safe"..... Our OTs are both atrocious and our starting RG was broken and essentially forced to retire mid season, with a journyman backup.  (expect RG in FA, and likely 2 draft picks for OL here)

And this is a big part of our team's problem, tbh....

Our most "explosive" players are:

Tarik Cohen: Who had a very down year this year... but is a gadget/hybrid wr/rb "weapon"

Cordarelle Patterson: who plays the exact same role as Cohen.

They're both minor role players in the offense, really.

Outside of that, I'm not sure I'd consider any of our offensive skill positions "explosive"... Robinson is a solid #1 WR, but he's not a super "explosive" guy as much as a really good well rounded guy... Miller, Ridley, Wims  are again more solid well rounded types  but not really "explosive" guys. And our primary RB's biggest criticism out of the draft was a lack of "explosive" type plays, having NEVER housed a run of over 20 yards.  Gabriel was hurt most of the year, and mostly misused underneath for his time with us, sadly. 

It's been a rather frustrating run for Chicago of late.

With the exception of a handful of small stretches, it's been a rather frustrating run for the Bears offensively for two decades

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hukos said:

Gabriel is a deep threat. He's not worth much more than being a deep threat, but that in of itself has value. When he was on the Falcons in 2016, he wasn't the guy who could do the whole route tree. But his ability to take the top off of defenses was very useful in that Kyle Shanahan offense. He was fast enough that trying to press Gabriel was something that could blow up in your face if he just ran right by you because he was so quick. There's a reason no one presses Tyreek HIll.

If you're asking Gabriel to be the feature WR of your offense, you're doing it wrong. But if you're asking him to be your #3 or #4 WR purely as a deep threat, he's fantastic.

I've always liked Gabriel, and was pretty happy when the Bears signed him. The upcoming draft is loaded with good, fast receivers, though. There's also a lot of good prospects on the FA market--who'd either be cheaper than Gabriel was, or would bring more to the table. 

12 hours ago, Hukos said:

I'm not a Bears fan (Falcons fan actually) so I don't know really that much about how the Bears operate schematically on offense. But if you're unable to use Gabriel as a #3 deep threat, then you're basically throwing away a roster spot. I will go to bat for Gabriel because guys like him are always criminally under used and utilized in the NFL. Deep threat guys with elite speed that can blow by press coverage are way more useful than a lot of folks think, but they've got to be in the right position to succeed. Explosiveness (ability to generate chunk yardage) is to me the defining feature of great offenses in the modern NFL (see: Kansas City Chiefs) and you need guys like that on your roster to do that consistently.

Trubisky was way too inconsistent to be counted on getting the ball to anybody out there, but especially Gabriel down the field.