Bradford Injury Dilemma

gopherwrestler

8 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Not confused about anything. Just floored that you continue to post the same tired old lines in every thread without actually saying anything or taking a stance. This coming from the guy accusing people of "post padding". 

If we can't discuss things without concrete proof , what are we doing on an internet message board?

There's an ignore button.  Use it.  Otherwise, explain why you believe I implied something I didn't (concrete proof) to create a Straw Man Argument.

I've taken a clear stance on the QB issue.  It is to challenge others to defend their positions with something substantive (not 'concrete proof').  If you're not up to that challenge, try using the ignore button to reduce the conflict that mods probably don't care to mediate. 

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Ah, 2 injuries at the QB position in the same game. I've seen it before.

And given Teddy's and Sam's injury history, anything could happen...

Two injuries to a QB in one game is an extremely unlikely event.  I presume an injury to the starter (assume CK) might be followed by the replacement struggling / stinking up the joint.

The emergency 3rd QB situation changed a few years ago.  IF a 3rd QB were allowed to play in case of two injuries to two QBs activated, it would be wise to have a quality 3rd QB ready to go.  And, if CK were injured seriously enough to miss a future playoff game, the replacement (assume TB) needs to be backed up with a quality QB (assume SB).  Thus, the Vikings quest for a SB should be protected with some quality backups knowing the injury records of TB and SB, and the lack of recent PT by both SB and TB.  Sloter doesn't have the desired experience to be QB#3, IMO.  Protecting him from being pilfered off the PS or waivers is less important than 'buying insurance and reinsurance' for seeking a SB win.

Of course, anything could happen, but some things involving QBs are more likely than others, given the experience and injury history of the 4 Vikings QBs.

14 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

There's an ignore button.  Use it.  Otherwise, explain why you believe I implied something I didn't (concrete proof) to create a Straw Man Argument.

I've taken a clear stance on the QB issue.  It is to challenge others to defend their positions with something substantive (not 'concrete proof').  If you're not up to that challenge, try using the ignore button to reduce the conflict that mods probably don't care to mediate. 

You've taken no stance. This forum doesn't need some sort of Football Socrates, challenging the masses until he is satisfied with the answer. Where do you get off thinking that people should have to justify their opinions to YOU. Everyone else around here seems capable of understanding that opinions will differ, except for YOU. 

Lutefisk sammiches, Medical records, PLAYOFFS, blah blah blah. I shouldn't need an ignore button. You should be able to carry on a conversation like an adult without snarky, condescending remarks.

I'll ask you point blank. Which backup QB do YOU think gives the Vikings the best chance to win if forced in to service?

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

My stance has not changed. Bradford still is a very average QB. Read it again..."If things worked out".

Had he stayed healthy and been placed in a good situation, I thought he could've been great. 

But he didn't stay healthy, and the Rams kept him in a crappy situation, so he never developed. It happens to a lot of QBs.

i'm going to start calling you IHOP, because you want to be a Waffle Master here.

you never said anything like you felt Bradford was a great QB but only played average because he was with lackluster teams. you said he was a poor QB who would never be ABLE TO BE anything other than average.

gotta own it, baby. ¬¬

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i'm going to start calling you IHOP, because you want to be a Waffle Master here.

you never said anything like you felt Bradford was a great QB but only played average because he was with lackluster teams. you said he was a poor QB who would never be ABLE TO BE anything other than average.

gotta own it, baby. ¬¬

I don't know that that @SteelKing728 wants to own it, but I don't mind owing up to the opinion that I think Bradford is a poor QB. I wouldn't go so far to say that he'll never be able to be anything other than average but I'll say that the odds are heavily against him ever being better than average. Bradford is a great thrower that never learned to be a very good QB. I don't think that he ever will. His throwing ability covers up for his other poor QB skills enough to bring him up to a near average QB.

10 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

@SteelKing728 I don't think that he ever will. His throwing ability covers up for his other poor QB skills enough to bring him up to a near average QB.

Biggest problem he had was he came into the league near the tail end of the pocket passer, coming out of a college spread system that didn't ask him to leave the pocket.

Offensive Lines aren't what they were once, all the more athletic borderline guys switched to play defense in college to put pressure on the QB.

The traditional pocket passer is completely gone outside of Tom Brady right now, almost every other QB is at least somewhat mobile and able to take off and run if needed.

Bradford is still an above average QB looking around the league and is better that most that are out there, but it will be hard to be successful in the wrong systems. Shurmur gives him the right system when he is in, last year everything looked great until our line fell apart. He just needs some help. The QB skills you are talking about are mobility. He reads defenses well, he takes hits and gets the ball out with defenders in his face, and he is probably one of the top 5 "throwing QB's" in the NFL.

10 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

@SteelKing728 I don't think that he ever will. His throwing ability covers up for his other poor QB skills enough to bring him up to a near average QB.

Biggest problem he had was he came into the league near the tail end of the pocket passer, coming out of a college spread system that didn't ask him to leave the pocket.

Offensive Lines aren't what they were once, all the more athletic borderline guys switched to play defense in college to put pressure on the QB.

The traditional pocket passer is completely gone outside of Tom Brady right now, almost every other QB is at least somewhat mobile and able to take off and run if needed.

Bradford is still an above average QB looking around the league and is better that most that are out there, but it will be hard to be successful in the wrong systems. Shurmur gives him the right system when he is in, last year everything looked great until our line fell apart. He just needs some help. The QB skills you are talking about are mobility. He reads defenses well, he takes hits and gets the ball out with defenders in his face, and he is probably one of the top 5 "throwing QB's" in the NFL.

15 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

You've taken no stance. This forum doesn't need some sort of Football Socrates, challenging the masses until he is satisfied with the answer. Where do you get off thinking that people should have to justify their opinions to YOU. Everyone else around here seems capable of understanding that opinions will differ, except for YOU. 

Lutefisk sammiches, Medical records, PLAYOFFS, blah blah blah. I shouldn't need an ignore button. You should be able to carry on a conversation like an adult without snarky, condescending remarks.

I'll ask you point blank. Which backup QB do YOU think gives the Vikings the best chance to win if forced in to service?

Ignored

Our assessment of QBs will be verified or denounced by Vikings coaches in the upcoming weeks, and in the 2018 off season.  The Vikings front office will bid for the service of the best free agent QB(s), and other NFL teams will sign the residuals to a meager, moderate, or lucrative offer.

Until then, we should trust that the coaches know much more than we do. IF they don't do as you think they should, you should question YOUR judgement.  If you still disagree, apply for a job as a collegiate or NFL OC, QBC, or GM. 

Archived