Bradford Injury Dilemma

gopherwrestler

35 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Bradford needs to retire. Poor guy won't be able to walk when he's done.

I think this type of talk is premature.  He's only a few weeks removed from having one of the best games of his career and they don't seem to fully know what's wrong.

2 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

they don't seem to fully know what's wrong.

i think that's the real point though. Sugarman has stated there is no specific injury to the knee, it's just "wear and tear" in his words. accumulated damage and stress to the joint. how will that get better over time?

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i think that's the real point though. Sugarman has stated there is no specific injury to the knee, it's just "wear and tear" in his words. accumulated damage and stress to the joint. how will that get better over time?

Exactly. This isn’t an injury. This sounds like a degenerative condition, possible arthritic problem, in Bradford’s knee. That’s not going to get better. At least not to the point where he can be expected to be healthy week in and week out. 

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

All I can say is that I can't remember a comparable situation, where a players knee basically went bad overnight for no apparent reason, so I'm not going to make any assumptions.

8 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

All I can say is that I can't remember a comparable situation, where a players knee basically went bad overnight for no apparent reason, so I'm not going to make any assumptions.

He's also had numerous surgeries in the past. Might be hard to find a comparison but how many QBs have dealt with what Bradford has in terms of knee injuries throughout their career. Robert Smith might be comparable but he has a completely different build/physique.

if rest is the only real fix, he can't be a professional athlete.  

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He's also had numerous surgeries in the past. Might be hard to find a comparison but how many QBs have dealt with what Bradford has in terms of knee injuries throughout their career. Robert Smith might be comparable but he has a completely different build/physique.

if rest is the only real fix, he can't be a professional athlete.  

Who know how often something like this would flare up, assuming it does get better?  Like I said, I've never seen someone's knee degenerate overnight where they could go from playing at a high level one day and literally the next day are unable to ever play again without some significant injury in between.

And I'm not just talking QB's, I can't think of a comparable example in any sport.  So I'm just not going to make any assumptions on it.  If I were him, I'd probably at least give it an offseason before I made any decisions on my career.

5 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Who know how often something like this would flare up, assuming it does get better?  Like I said, I've never seen someone's knee degenerate overnight where they could go from playing at a high level one day and literally the next day are unable to ever play again without some significant injury in between.

And I'm not just talking QB's, I can't think of a comparable example in any sport.  So I'm just not going to make any assumptions on it.  If I were him, I'd probably at least give it an offseason before I made any decisions on my career.

I don't think he has any incentive to retire right now when we could just place him on IR.

Would wearing a brace be of any help to him!

22 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

But his knee didn’t go bad overnight, multiple surgeries to the same knee would suggest that. And we have no idea if Bradford has been dealing with any type of soreness in his knee before. But, joints don’t get better with age, and the older you get the less your body responds to treatment. This might be one of those situations where his knee is just not responding like it did when he was 25. 

Regenokine procedures are generally a last resort type of treatment. If that’s where Bradford is at in his recovery, it’s a very bad sign. 

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

Would wearing a brace be of any help to him

Not likely. Bradford was wearing one against Chicago and it didn’t help. But braces are used to help stabilize the joint. Stability in the joint doesn’t seem to be Bradford’s issue. 

I hope he can continue his career but not in a Vikings uniform. All of this with his knee is enough for me to say "Sam, thanks for giving us your all but that knee worries us far too much to put our eggs in your basket. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors."

With Bradford not coming back, that makes the nightmare 2018 quarterback scenario slightly less nightmarish. Bradford is now out of the equation (IMO) so you're pretty much down to seeing what Teddy can do after his catastrophic knee injury or signing a QB in the off-season with intentions to start him. (I'm drafting a QB within the first 3 rounds regardless).

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But his knee didn’t go bad overnight, multiple surgeries to the same knee would suggest that. And we have no idea if Bradford has been dealing with any type of soreness in his knee before. But, joints don’t get better with age, and the older you get the less your body responds to treatment. This might be one of those situations where his knee is just not responding like it did when he was 25. 

Regenokine procedures are generally a last resort type of treatment. If that’s where Bradford is at in his recovery, it’s a very bad sign. 

You say it didn't go bad overnight.  It went from him being able to play on it at high level, to not being able to play at all, literally overnight.

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Not likely. Bradford was wearing one against Chicago and it didn’t help. But braces are used to help stabilize the joint. Stability in the joint doesn’t seem to be Bradford’s issue. 

Exactly.

A brace isn't going to do anything to relieve pain caused from multiple surgeries nor is it going to give him added mobility in the knee. If he was just coming off a tear? OK yeah a brace would be good for added stability but a brace isn't going to do anything for internal issues.

It's be like patching a hole in a tire when the entire thing is bald from wear and tear. What's the point?

Just now, Worm Guts said:

You say it didn't go bad overnight.  It went from him being able to play on it at high level, to not being able to play at all, literally overnight.

That doesn’t mean his knee wasn’t bad before. Two ACL surgeries and wear and tear on his knee joint suggest that he’s had knee problems for a while. That doesn’t mean he was unable to play. 

I have a bad knee from running so much in the military, it doesn’t stop me from continuing to run. I just have to ice it more than I used to. But if I hurt my knee again, I may not be able to run anymore. 

This injury for Bradford may simply be the straw that broke the camel’s back. 

13 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Well it didn't go bad overnight. A knee doesn't go from fine to "he may not ever play again" overnight when it doesn't involve some type of sudden injury to a ligament, bone, joint, etc. like an ACL, break, or dislocation.

His knee has probably been bad for a while but whatever he did to it in week 1 made things worse. 

If your car's starter has been giving you troubles for a year and it finally quits turning over one morning, do you say "my starter just went bad overnight?"

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Thanks Semp. I wasn't sure if he was wearing one. Just throwing ideas out there.

Archived