2020 Vote: Where does Brady ultimately decide to go?

DoleINGout

Tom Brady 2020  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which team do you think Tom Brady will ultimately sign with?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/18/2020 at 04:00 AM

6 hours ago, showtime said:

"Some of the things Brady wants: Control over roster [and] he wants to be part of making decisions on the play calling," Russini said this week on ESPN's "Get Up."

Apparently, any team that wants to sign Brady the quarterback is also going to have to agree to take on Brady the general manager.

Guess he must have been taking notes from LeBron James.

Yeah after how he performed last year, at 42? HARD PASS for basically any team IMO.

He is NOT going to the AFC West because of multiple reasons.

1. If possible, avoid Patrick Mahomes. He will.
  2. If possible, avoid playing in Mile High. He will.
  3. If possible, avoid a franchise with no fan base that could affect his brand. He will.
  4. If possible, go to a team with an experienced winning coaching staff he can trust. He will.

So to recap, he is NOT going to the Chargers or Raiders.

He is NOT going to the Titans.

He is NOT going to the 49ers because of multiple reasons.

1. They don’t want him.
  2. His friend, Jimmy G, is already there.
  3. The cap room is needed elsewhere within the current roster.
  4. Brady is a short-term rental at this point and the Niners are built to last longer than that.

That leaves the Patriots and Buccaneers, and he is NOT going back to the Patriots.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

He is NOT going to the AFC West because of multiple reasons.

1. If possible, avoid Patrick Mahomes. He will.
  2. If possible, avoid playing in Mile High. He will.
  3. If possible, avoid a franchise with no fan base that could affect his brand. He will.
  4. If possible, go to a team with an experienced winning coaching staff he can trust. He will.

So to recap, he is NOT going to the Chargers or Raiders.

He is NOT going to the Titans.

He is NOT going to the 49ers because of multiple reasons.

1. They don’t want him.
  2. His friend, Jimmy G, is already there.
  3. The cap room is needed elsewhere within the current roster.
  4. Brady is a short-term rental at this point and the Niners are built to last longer than that.

That leaves the Patriots and Buccaneers, and he is NOT going back to the Patriots.

I like what you did there. I think there's a very good chance he's still a Charger. Anthony Lynn is very respected around the NFL, and unlike the Bucs with Arians, would likely allow Brady to call the shots on offense. Also, that fanbase is not defining his brand, he is defining the fanbase. Think about that. How impressive it would be to see a guy waltz into LA to play for an organization that couldn't fill a soccer stadium, only to become the hottest ticket in town. 

As far as playing Mahomes. (1) tremendous marketing opportunity for the next 2 years. I can see it now "Chapter I, Chapter II, Chapter III...". (2) the NFL is a year-to-year league and no alpha is saying "well I don't want to go there because I'd have to play X"... ESPECIALLY Tom Brady. Consider this: of the last 20 teams to play in the Superbowl, only 6 teams have gone to the playoffs the following year: the Seattle Seahawks, the New England Patriots, the New England Patriots, the New England Patriots, the New England Patriots, and the New England Patriots. Don't give me any of that "he wants to avoid Mahomes" talk. Blasphemy. 

Ultimately, I think the Bucs and Chargers offer similar opportunities. Both have the weapons Brady wants and the resources to rebuild their offensive lines. While LAC has the market and the flare, the Bucs have a coach he may want to play for (but I would be hard-pressed to say that Arians is giving him control of that offense). Both ownerships suck so that's null. 

If the Chargers want him, I think they'll get him. If Brady's leaving, it's not purely a football decision. He wants to prove that he can be great without being under Bill's shadow, and he wants to do it convincingly. He also wants to establish his life after football as he's been willing to recognize that its nearing its end. There's too much allure off-the-field for him not to want to go there if he's leaving. Oh and guess what? The Chargers play the Patriots this year in LA. How about that for a grand opening (if coronavirus doesn't take the stadium out). 

18 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I like what you did there. I think there's a very good chance he's still a Charger. Anthony Lynn is very respected around the NFL, and unlike the Bucs with Arians, would likely allow Brady to call the shots on offense. Also, that fanbase is not defining his brand, he is defining the fanbase. Think about that. How impressive it would be to see a guy waltz into LA to play for an organization that couldn't fill a soccer stadium, only to become the hottest ticket in town. 

As far as playing Mahomes. (1) tremendous marketing opportunity for the next 2 years. I can see it now "Chapter I, Chapter II, Chapter III...". (2) the NFL is a year-to-year league and no alpha is saying "well I don't want to go there because I'd have to play X"... ESPECIALLY Tom Brady. Consider this: of the last 20 teams to play in the Superbowl, only 6 teams have gone to the playoffs the following year: the Seattle Seahawks, the New England Patriots, the New England Patriots, the New England Patriots, the New England Patriots, and the New England Patriots. Don't give me any of that "he wants to avoid Mahomes" talk. Blasphemy. 

Ultimately, I think the Bucs and Chargers offer similar opportunities. Both have the weapons Brady wants and the resources to rebuild their offensive lines. While LAC has the market and the flare, the Bucs have a coach he may want to play for (but I would be hard-pressed to say that Arians is giving him control of that offense). Both ownerships suck so that's null. 

If the Chargers want him, I think they'll get him. If Brady's leaving, it's not purely a football decision. He wants to prove that he can be great without being under Bill's shadow, and he wants to do it convincingly. He also wants to establish his life after football as he's been willing to recognize that its nearing its end. There's too much allure off-the-field for him not to want to go there if he's leaving. Oh and guess what? The Chargers play the Patriots this year in LA. How about that for a grand opening (if coronavirus doesn't take the stadium out). 

The part you bolded is incorrect — the Eagles have been in the playoffs both years since their Super Bowl win

9 hours ago, showtime said:

"Some of the things Brady wants: Control over roster [and] he wants to be part of making decisions on the play calling," Russini said this week on ESPN's "Get Up."

Apparently, any team that wants to sign Brady the quarterback is also going to have to agree to take on Brady the general manager.

Guess he must have been taking notes from LeBron James.

Beats having Jason Licht as GM.

42 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Don't give me any of that "he wants to avoid Mahomes" talk.

I think Brady is smart and thinks IF he can avoid playing Mahomes repeatedly within the same division, that he will have a better chance of winning games. Ultimately, Brady will choose either the Buccaneers or Patriots because of other factors, but not because he doesn't want to face Mahomes. It's just common sense to give yourself and your team the best chance to win and consider the factors that get in the way of doing that.

22 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

The part you bolded is incorrect — the Eagles have been in the playoffs both years since their Super Bowl win

I'm sorry I screwed the stat up, but I also stand corrected. In the past FIVE Super Bowls, 4/10 teams didn't make the playoffs the following year. The Patriots were the only team to make the postseason all 5 times, with the Seahawks and Eagles the others. 

Either way, there's plenty of history that suggests just because a team makes or wins the super bowl, doesn't mean they're a lock to be a powerhouse the following year. The 2018 LA Rams, the 2017 ATL Falcons, the 2016 DEN Broncos, 2016 CAR Panthers, 2013 BAL Ravens, 2012 NYG, 2011 IND Colts, 2010 PIT Steelers... list goes on

7 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I think Brady is smart and thinks IF he can avoid playing Mahomes repeatedly within the same division, that he will have a better chance of winning games. Ultimately, Brady will choose either the Buccaneers or Patriots because of other factors, but not because he doesn't want to face Mahomes. It's just common sense to give yourself and your team the best chance to win and consider the factors that get in the way of doing that.

I acknowledge that, but I also think that Brady - much like many top athletes - has an incredible chip on his shoulder, thinks he's the best, and has a manufactured determination to prove people wrong even if there's nothing left to prove. I get Mahomes is an incredible player, but let's not make him out to be the messiah just yet... Andy Reid is a great coach, but he's no Belichick. We shall see, but I don't think this Chiefs team is going to be a dynasty. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't agree with much of this. I think there's some chance Brady is on the Chargers, but a "very good chance" of it happening is relatively small compared with the Patriots and Buccaneers. I don't think it matters so much what arbitrary level of respect you think Anthony Lynn may have around the NFL when all that matters in this situation is how much trust Brady has in Lynn to be the head coach he can win a Super Bowl with. Gus Bradley is the same defensive coordinator the Patriots shredded repeatedly before getting fired for not doing anything to adjust his defense in the playoffs in order to win. I strongly suspect Brady has the same level of regard for the lack of success of Bradley and Lynn as he does actual respect for the success of Belichick, McDaniels, Arians, Clyde Christensen, and even Todd Bowles whose defenses at least challenged Brady occasionally.

Arians allowed Ben Roethlisberger to call plays in Pittsburgh, as well as Luck in Indy, and Palmar in Arizona. With all the reports of interest from the Buccaneers in Brady, you don't think Arians would let Brady call some plays and have a say in personnel? Why not.

As for brand image, well, it will be very apparent if the big, new stadium isn't selling out for the Chargers as opposed to Tampa Bay where a culture and fan base is already established, and especially if the Rams games do well. Think about that. How realistic is it to expect a 42 year old transplant quarterback from the northern part of the state to attract a bunch of second team football fans in a Southern California city where sports aren't the hottest ticket and they're competing anyways with the LeBron James/Anthony Davis Lakers, the Kawhi Leonard/Paul George Clippers, USC Trojans, UCLA Bruins, LA Dodgers, et cetera. You said it yourself, the Chargers couldn't sell enough tickets to their own fans to fill up a soccer stadium last year. The Chargers won't have a great base with or without Brady which impacts his brand negatively.

Edited by DoleINGout

18 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I get Mahomes is an incredible player, but let's not make him out to be the messiah just yet...

Mahomes just won the Super Bowl MVP and a title in his third season for a team that didn't win any in fifty years.

It's only logical that Brady has considered this a competitive disadvantage of joining the AFC West versus staying in the AFC East or joining the NFC South.

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I don't agree with much of this. I think there's some chance Brady is on the Chargers, but a "very good chance" of it happening is relatively small compared to the Patriots and Buccaneers. I don't think it matters so much what arbitrary level of respect you think Anthony Lynn may have around the NFL when all that matters in this situation is how much trust Brady has in Lynn to be the head coach he can win a Super Bowl. Gus Bradley is the same defensive coordinator is the same defensive coordinator the Patriots shredded repeatedly before getting fired for not doing anything to adjust his defense in the playoffs in order to win. I strongly suspect Brady has the same level of regard for the lack of success of Bradley and Lynn as he does actual respect for the success of Belichick, McDaniels, Arians, Clyde Christensen, and even Todd Bowles whose defenses at least challenged Brady occasionally.

Arians allowed Ben Roethlisberger to call plays in Pittsburgh, as well as Luck in Indy, and Palmar in Arizona. With all the reports of interest from the Buccaneers in Brady, you don't think Arians would let Brady call some plays and have a say in personnel? Why not.

As for brand image, well, it will take a hit if the stadiums aren't selling out in a huge LA stadium for the Chargers as opposed to Tampa Bay where a culture and fan base is already established. Think about that. How realistic is it to expect a 42 year old transplant quarterback from the northern part of the state to attract a bunch of second team football fans in a Southern California city where sports aren't the hottest ticket and they're competing anyways with because of the LeBron James/Anthony Davis Lakers, the Kawhi Leonard/Paul George Clippers, USC Trojans, UCLA Bruins, LA Dodgers, et cetera. You said it yourself, the Chargers couldn't sell enough tickets to their own fans to fill up a soccer stadium last year. The Chargers won't have a great base with or without Brady which impacts his brand negatively.

You have a compelling point with Arians, but it's not like he's some great coach either. He's made the playoffs as a HC the same amount of times that Lynn has in his 3 years with the Chargers: twice. He's a QB guy which gives him points, and you may be right that Arians would give him say, but their philosophies as a whole are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Is Arians ready to go full dink-and-dunk for Brady? I'm not so sure. Also, you speak about a pretty darn good coach's failure in one football game as if he's the plague that cannot be respected going forward. Do you remember how poorly McDaniels was outside of New England? Did you pay attention to how some of Belichick's defensive "disciples" faired after they left NE? Chargers defense was decimated by injuries this year, but by no means are they a bad unit and by no means is Gus Bradley so bad of a coach that it would sway Brady's decision one way or the other. 

I vehemently disagree with your LA take. I think the Rams would become a clear 2nd fiddle to Brady, especially coming off a poor year. Furthermore, are you really trying to say that Brady will have to compete for fan interest with USC and UCLA? They don't even play on the same day. Basketball season and baseball season is largely over come the NFL season. And yes, the Chargers stadiums were empty. They won't be with Brady. He's the biggest star in the NFL. He's the draw. When those $250 million in PSLs are sold after he signs there, he'll feel accomplished. You also cannot compare the cities when it comes to draw and starpower - there literally is zero comparison. The base will be built around Brady - that is the story. 

7 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Mahomes just won the Super Bowl MVP and a title in his third season for a team that didn't win any in fifty years.

It's only logical that Brady has considered this a competitive disadvantage of joining the AFC West versus staying in the AFC East or joining the NFC South.

He may have gotten the award, but he wasn't the most valuable player in the game... Damien Williams was. 

I don't think Brady would think much about the idea of facing Mahomes/Carr/Lock or Brees/Ryan/Newton. He wants to know what defenses he's facing. It's a stupid argument if you ask me. I respect Colin Cowherd and enjoy listening to him a lot, but he's been preaching this nonsense all offseason. I highly doubt it's even remotely a factor in Brady's decision-making - maybe 1% of it. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

I vehemently disagree with your LA take. I think the Rams would become a clear 2nd fiddle to Brady, especially coming off a poor year. Furthermore, are you really trying to say that Brady will have to compete for fan interest with USC and UCLA? They don't even play on the same day. Basketball season and baseball season is largely over come the NFL season. And yes, the Chargers stadiums were empty. They won't be with Brady. He's the biggest star in the NFL. He's the draw. When those $250 million in PSLs are sold after he signs there, he'll feel accomplished. You also cannot compare the cities when it comes to draw and starpower - there literally is zero comparison. The base will be built around Brady - that is the story. 

The Chargers are going into a second year playing behind another franchise that also recently relocated to LA but the difference is the Rams grew an LA fan base years ago. USC and UCLA are huge in Southern California. The average person in LA has so many other entertainment options to choose from. There are only so many people in LA and there is only so much time to go around to be invested into all of these franchises at a time. The market for the Chargers is developing but it is in it's infancy stages and the growing pains are not ideal for a TB12 brand that needs to capitalize on the opportunities that are available now. I don't think there is a whole lot of security in the Chargers from an investment standpoint.

14 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Do you remember how poorly McDaniels was outside of New England? Did you pay attention to how some of Belichick's defensive "disciples" faired after they left NE?

I think McDaniels could be the death of the Patriots run, but that doesn't change the fact that Brady already likes and trusts McDaniels.

11 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

He may have gotten the award, but he wasn't the most valuable player in the game... Damien Williams was. 

You're missing the point here.

12 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't think Brady would think much about the idea of facing Mahomes/Carr/Lock or Brees/Ryan/Newton. 

Apparently it needs reiterating that Brady's decision isn't based on avoiding any specific player or team. I agree Brady may not think much about deterring factors as such, however, choosing instead to focus on the things he controls doesn't mean completely ignoring the obvious strategical aspects concerning potential or inevitable opponents. With that said, it might not take much consideration for anything to tip the scales when deciding.

The Chargers with Brady still have no fans.

The Rams are an LA team. The other LA team, the Raiders are a 3 hour drive and a Vegas weekend away.

The Chargers are carpetbaggers from San Diego renting out the Rams stadium like the '90s Clippers with a former fan base 3 hours south that hates their guts,

43 year old Brady does not make them LA's team.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

Brady wants to win another Super Bowl. Knowing the Raiders or Chargers are playing for a wildcard at best next year is absolutely a factor.

It may not be the deciding factor, but he knows how good that Chiefs team is.

They are a Dee Ford blunder away from back to back SB Champs.

Edited by SkippyX