My idea for an 8-team CFP bracket.

pf9

On 3/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, pf9 said:

The main idea about this is to attempt to curb Southern dominance of top level CFB, which has been the norm during the two-poll era. Lower levels of CFB often see non-Southern teams win national championships. I want this for FBS too.

The reason for that dominance is cause all of the good high school football players come out of those states lol

• Like 2

If I was doing an 8 team CFP bracket, I would give the 5 highest ranked FBS Conference champs are guaranteed a spot.  So if a Group of 5 team wants an automatic bid, be ranked higher than one of the Power 5 conference champs.  From there I would do 3 At-Large bids chosen by the committee, 

1 hour ago, Raves said:

If I was doing an 8 team CFP bracket, I would give the 5 highest ranked FBS Conference champs are guaranteed a spot.  So if a Group of 5 team wants an automatic bid, be ranked higher than one of the Power 5 conference champs.  From there I would do 3 At-Large bids chosen by the committee, 

I could see that as well in my proposal earlier in the thread and wouldn't have an issue with it.  

• 4 weeks later...

*Each Power 5 team gets a representative based upon whether or not you win your own conference, seeded accordingly 1-5

*The last remaining 3 teams will get an "at large" selection, 1 of which must be a NON Power 5 team if ranked in the Top 10 (BCS formula, weighting Coaches/AP Polls), calling it the "Boise St/UCF Rule". These 3 will be seeded 6-8.

*In a perfect world, the first round would be 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5 in HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE games, to be played two weeks after the "Conference Title" weekend.

*After this round of games, the "Final Four" would be played in the "Bowl Setup" as it currently is (Fiesta, Rose, Orange, Sugar), with #1 playing the lowest remaining seed, #2 playing the 2nd lowest remaining seed, #3 playing the 3rd lowest remaining seed, and #4 playing the highest remaining seed (5-8). Location preference would be determined based upon the high seeds/low seeds, so if LSU was still alive at #1 after Round 1, they select Sugar, etc.

*After this, you play the NC Game as per normal CFP time, location, etc.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MWil23 said:

*Each Power 5 team gets a representative based upon whether or not you win your own conference, seeded accordingly 1-5

*The last remaining 3 teams will get an "at large" selection, 1 of which must be a NON Power 5 team if ranked in the Top 10 (BCS formula, weighting Coaches/AP Polls), calling it the "Boise St/UCF Rule". These 3 will be seeded 6-8.

*In a perfect world, the first round would be 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5 in HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE games, to be played two weeks after the "Conference Title" weekend.

*After this round of games, the "Final Four" would be played in the "Bowl Setup" as it currently is (Fiesta, Rose, Orange, Sugar), with #1 playing the lowest remaining seed, #2 playing the 2nd lowest remaining seed, #3 playing the 3rd lowest remaining seed, and #4 playing the highest remaining seed (5-8). Location preference would be determined based upon the high seeds/low seeds, so if LSU was still alive at #1 after Round 1, they select Sugar, etc.

*After this, you play the NC Game as per normal CFP time, location, etc.

We agree on 95% of this.  I wouldn't have an issue with this proposal either.  I would like to see a G5 team in it regardless, but I can see a threshold being set as far as a ranking spot goes. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 1:08 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

We agree on 95% of this.  I wouldn't have an issue with this proposal either.  I would like to see a G5 team in it regardless, but I can see a threshold being set as far as a ranking spot goes. 

I’d also be willing to put other clarifying criteria in there about losses. Sorry Notre Dame, being #10 at 2 losses doesn’t get you in over a 13-0 UCF/Boise State.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

BYU, Houston, SMU, South Florida, Memphis, and Temple.

At the same time I have Oklahoma and Oklahoma State joining the SEC. While there has been talk of them joining the Pac-12, the SEC is a better geographic fit for them than the Pac-12.

• Like 1

I can tell you the American was much better than the ACC last year. A huge reason I'm bitter about OSU's loss to Clemson is that Clemson was the only truly good team the ACC officially had (compared to the bulk of good teams in the Big Ten), but I count Notre Dame too, they went 11-2. But because ND is technically not in ACC football, the Orange Bowl spot went to a Virginia team that lost to both ND and Clemson (the latter in a blowout in the ACC title game), which I also objected to. We were one season away from not having a team ranked below #20 in the final CFP poll make it to a NY6 game in this bowl cycle, but because of a technicality Virginia ruined that. And because of the American not being classified as a power conference only Memphis got to go to a NY6 game.

Because the American had so many good teams, I think as long as they keep their current membership intact they should be promoted from the G5 (which would then become the G4) to the P5 (which becomes the P6 as the American had promoted for some time). The American champ would get an autobid to either the Peach Bowl if the champion is an Eastern time team or the Cotton Bowl if a Central time team, except in years where the Peach Bowl is a semifinal in which case Cotton Bowl regardless of time zone (during these years, there would be no true at-large team, as the Cotton Bowl would have to host the highest ranked G4 champion).

Edited by pf9

• 2 months later...

Given recent events I am no longer proposing the regional brackets be named Blue and Gray.

Instead, the bracket segment containing the non-Southern teams will be named the Osborne bracket after former Nebraska coach Tom Osborne, who won 3 national titles in his last 4 years with the school. Meanwhile, the bracket segment containing the Southern teams will be named the Bowden bracket, after Bobby Bowden, who coached two current P5 schools in the South, West Virginia and Florida State, though he is much more associated with the latter, where he coached for over 3 decades, winning two national titles in the 1990s - the first against Osborne's Cornhuskers.

The criteria to whether a team would go in the Osborne or Bowden bracket is simple. If a team is located in a state defined by the US Census Bureau as being in the South, it goes in the Bowden bracket - even teams like Maryland, who nowadays more strongly identifies as part of the Northeast. If a team is located in any other state, it goes in the Osborne bracket.