Lions sign DL Nicholas Williams

RaidersAreOne

Why is everyone getting so worked up over a rotational piece with no guaranteed money? We lack bodies on the DLine. They're bringing guys in. If he can't win a roster spot, he gets cut.

He would've finished 3rd on our team in sacks last year as a rotational player, with Flowers and Kennard each one above him.

Lions fans on Day 1 of FA: We haven't signed anybody, what are we doing!? We need help on the D-Line

*The Detroit Lions sign DL Nicholas Williams*

Lions fans on Day 1 of FA: Who is this guy?? He's a nobody, we have nobody on the DL

*Report: Lions are not done signing DL

Lions fans on Day 1 of FA: We haven't signed anybody, what are we doing!? We need help on the D-Line

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Lions fans on Day 1 of FA: We haven't signed anybody, what are we doing!? We need help on the D-Line

Lions fans on Day 1 of FA: Who is this guy?? He's a nobody, we have nobody on the DL

Lions fans on Day 1 of FA: We haven't signed anybody, what are we doing!? We need help on the D-Line

Although true, I don't know if this is a fair statement.  many have criticized this organization and are not seeing any sort of improvement with these signings.  They have checked out on the Lions and this FA has, in their minds, validated their complaints.  I think there are a few of us in here who are in the camp of we need to give them more time.  I will say that that so far, on day 1, I'm very uninspired and I have been in the camp of wait and see how this shakes out. So far, I think those of us who have supported the wait and see approach have to defend the picks far more than those who have thrown in the towel.

Edited by LionArkie

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Wanting D line help and plugging in random bodies isnt the same thing.  Again, its a weird signing because he really hasn't proven anything and we throw $5M a year at him.  If he does make the roster, that is a lot for a backup. If they are hoping he starts, that scares me.  Its just that our signings are unproven, one year wonders who seem to be overpaid.  And its not just Lions fans that think so, national media is also questioning what we are doing. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Wanting D line help and plugging in random bodies isnt the same thing.  Again, its a weird signing because he really hasn't proven anything and we throw $5M a year at him.  If he does make the roster, that is a lot for a backup. If they are hoping he starts, that scares me.  Its just that our signings are unproven, one year wonders who seem to be overpaid.  And its not just Lions fans that think so, national media is also questioning what we are doing. 

To be fair, I don't put a lot of faith in national media when it comes to the Lions. There is absolutely a bias against this team unless the proof is staring them right in the face. In fairness, the Lions haven't done anything recently to warrant blind faith... but if this signing came from a team like the Saints or the Packers, the national media would be a lot more kind and provide a lot more slack. 

If DJ Reader and Danny Shelton are both off of the market for us today, then I will be more inclined to be concerned. We've added one piece to the DL and upgraded the LB corp with a veteran guy who has succeeded in our system. It's a start to revamping the defense with plenty of time to go. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

To be fair, I don't put a lot of faith in national media when it comes to the Lions. There is absolutely a bias against this team unless the proof is staring them right in the face. In fairness, the Lions haven't done anything recently to warrant blind faith... but if this signing came from a team like the Saints or the Packers, the national media would be a lot more kind and provide a lot more slack. 

If DJ Reader and Danny Shelton are both off of the market for us today, then I will be more inclined to be concerned. We've added one piece to the DL and upgraded the LB corp with a veteran guy who has succeeded in our system. It's a start to revamping the defense with plenty of time to go. 

What gives you any inclination we are going to sign either of these guys? In 5 years, the only splash signings I remember are Trey Flowers and Wagner. Maybe I'm forgetting some? Quinn's normally picking up guys that has us scratching our heads just like the guys he picked up yesterday.  I'm fine with deepening your roster through free agency, but these contracts seem a little more than deepening the roster.

12 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

What gives you any inclination we are going to sign either of these guys? In 5 years, the only splash signings I remember are Trey Flowers and Wagner. Maybe I'm forgetting some? Quinn's normally picking up guys that has us scratching our heads just like the guys he picked up yesterday.  I'm fine with deepening your roster through free agency, but these contracts seem a little more than deepening the roster.

I mean... DJ Reader is the Marvin Jones of NT's. We aren't talking about signing Clowney. Reader is just a good player that fits our scheme and what we want to do with it. We are still very much in the market for DL and we haven't been afraid to throw money at guys that are deemed to be fits at positions of need (Coleman, James, Flowers, Wagner, M. Jones, etc.). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I mean... DJ Reader is the Marvin Jones of NT's. We aren't talking about signing Clowney. Reader is just a good player that fits our scheme and what we want to do with it. We are still very much in the market for DL and we haven't been afraid to throw money at guys that are deemed to be fits at positions of need (Coleman, James, Flowers, Wagner, M. Jones, etc.). 

Comparing him to our other free agent signings is what scares me.  All of those guys appeared to be overpaid at the time.  All came off of one really solid year and we overpaid them (other than Marvin)and all have been relative disappointments (albeit very early for Flowers and Coleman) and appear to be more overpaid than we thought.  Kennard and Jones were decent signings a couple of years ago, but they were cheap and had a little more history than this.  

52 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I agree the national media has a bias towards us, but if the signings were good over time, we would be better, and they would have to pay attention.  And it isnt just this signing, its been all of them that have been rated in worst moves of the day by numerous different sources.