Redskins sign S Sean Davis 1 year deal

MikeT14

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Seattle continues to win and puts themselves into situations where they can win one.  Pete Carroll's worst season since 2013 was 9-7, and he's gone 62-33-1 since 2013, and 5-5 in the playoffs.  How many teams would like to have that record over six years?  It's certainly better than most of the teams in the NFL over that time frame. 

You keep your core guys.  Absolutely.  But you also can't invest in the same guys at the same positions, which is why the LOB had to break up and should be a lesson to you wanting to extend all of our defensive linemen.  After the Super Bowl win, the Seahawks extended Sherman, Chancellor (twice) and Thomas, so they each got their second contract at one point with Seattle.  But as other players got close to free agency, changes had to happen, and having all of that money invested into one position eventually came to a head and they were released 

We are going to have that situation as Allen, Payne, Sweat and then Young come up for free agency.  We aren't going to be able to keep all of them and continue to field a competitive team year in and year out.  Tough decisions will need to be made as to who we keep, and maintaining flexibility for any top tier FA's who hit the market who can put us over the top when we are competitive.  

Seems this team needs to hurry up and add talent to offense now while they still have a strong core on the Dline at reasonable prices. 

23 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Can he just stay consistent? He can't have it both ways. Telling people when they 1st signed Davis how Great it was and ignoring

Yeah, this is a bad take. @turtle28 is not acting like he wasn't happy about the signing. He is simply saying that since he didn't work out he's glad that Apke and Curl are looking good.

That's not being inconsistent. Being inconsistent is if he said he was never for the signing in the first place.

For example...

For a few years I would go on and on about Jimmy Moreland in the forum. I know people rolled their eyes at me for talking about an FCS corner from JMU. I said "he's a guy who is a great corner". And was ecstatic that we drafted him last year (so much so that I embarrassed my wife in a restaurant when I checked my phone and saw we drafted him and them started yelling WHOOOO! in the restaurant). I talked him up in OTAs and then he showed out in training camp. But I was also fully expecting that if he didn't play well/up to his abilities that I knew he had and other corners beat him out, I would be happy for the team. 

That wouldn't be inconsistent. What would be inconsistent is if he got cut and then I said "I never wanted him to begin with"

Two things can be true at once:

A) that you're excited for a signing/drafting of a player

B) that if other players step up and beat that player out, that you're happy for the team and for those players who stepped up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Next time Please just agree to disagree or stay out the discussion. 

Like I said before a lot of people state opinions with no value behind them. My Football Philosophy and the Facts I bring with them back up the things I state here. I wish others would follow suit. 

Yeah, you're done doing this.  People have the right to agree or disagree with your post. They have the right to ignore it or respond to it. If you don't like that, then perhaps you should take your own advice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, you're done doing this.  People have the right to agree or disagree with your post. They have the right to ignore it or respond to it. If you don't like that, then perhaps you should take your own advice. 

You can't tell me what post as long as it's not vulgar. 

You can stop replying to my post as well if you so choose too. I'm not forcing anyone to reply to my comment's. 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

You can't tell me what post as long as it's not vulgar. 

I actually can if you're being incendiary and trolling. Which you are. Re-read the rules. 

You can stop replying to my post as well if you so choose too.

I'll take my own counsel on when to respond to a post, thank you. What you won't do is continue to be antagonistic to people.

I'm not forcing anyone to reply to my comment's. 

Take your own advice. No one is forcing you to reply to theirs either

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I actually can if you're being incendiary and trolling. Which you are. Re-read the rules. 

I'll take my own counsel on when to respond to a post, thank you. What you won't do is continue to be antagonistic to people.

Take your own advice. No one is forcing you to reply to theirs either

But I choose to because Literally I want to understand or at least try to understand their Football IQ. 

It's your opinion I'm trolling, yet I speak for myself and say #Facts I'm not. 

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

But I choose to because Literally I want to understand or at least try to understand their Football IQ. 

Understood. Which is why they try to respond to you until it becomes a circular argument and wastes their time

It's your opinion I'm trolling, yet I speak for myself and say #Facts I'm not.

Yes. And that opinion (along with Webby's) is the only one that counts

On 9/6/2020 at 12:55 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

However, in the NFL it is so important to have the talent continually coming in because of how contracts and the cap works.  So I am not that concerned over who gets their second contract.  I am much more concerned with having good, cheap depth and the more players we let walk, the better, because we already have their replacement in-house. 

And had they been able to successfully prime the compensatory pick pump a la the way Baltimore runs the draft, I would not be complaining about this.

Problem is they haven't really be able to do that because A) early on, they more or less focused on free agency (including the disastrous year in 2003 when they burned all of their picks in RFA), B) throughout been able to really identify quality players for the most part that would cause teams to sign the guys they let walk until somewhat recent and C) stupidly signed guys like McClain and others preventing the picks they did walk from becoming full value.

In short, the front office sucked and has sucked for two plus decades. Snyder managed to find an incompetent and kept him on the payroll for a decade ... only to replace him with an even more incompetent who was also a snake in the grass.

On 9/6/2020 at 7:18 PM, turtle28 said:

Steelers re-signed Sean Davis, I hope the best for him in his second stint there. I hope he stays healthy.

"Wait, they paid $2M to barely do anything for six months and then you come back to a team that has championship aspirations? Damn, some guys have all the luck."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woz said:

And had they been able to successfully prime the compensatory pick pump a la the way Baltimore runs the draft, I would not be complaining about this.

Problem is they haven't really be able to do that because A) early on, they more or less focused on free agency (including the disastrous year in 2003 when they burned all of their picks in RFA), B) throughout been able to really identify quality players for the most part that would cause teams to sign the guys they let walk until somewhat recent and C) stupidly signed guys like McClain and others preventing the picks they did walk from becoming full value.

In short, the front office sucked and has sucked for two plus decades. Snyder managed to find an incompetent and kept him on the payroll for a decade ... only to replace him with an even more incompetent who was also a snake in the grass.

I mean, Baltimore has a ridiculous talent pipeline.  A possible Hall of Fame guard retired in Marshal Yanda and they didn’t bat an eye about looking for his replacement.  They didn’t negotiate a trade for a guy like Scherff, or break the bank for Flowers or someone else in free agency,  The truly great teams are looking 2-3 years out.  We certainly aren’t close to that.  They have always had the ability to do that, and put a premium on the draft process.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, Baltimore has a ridiculous talent pipeline.  A possible Hall of Fame guard retired in Marshal Yanda and they didn’t bat an eye about looking for his replacement.  They didn’t negotiate a trade for a guy like Scherff, or break the bank for Flowers or someone else in free agency,  The truly great teams are looking 2-3 years out.  We certainly aren’t close to that.  They have always had the ability to do that, and put a premium on the draft process.  

Yup. It's why @Woz and I were on two trains at once

The "Draft a lineman in the first 3 rounds every year" train and the "Start the compensatory pick" train. 

It's smart to look 2-3 years into the future and know who needs to be re-signed and how we can replace him if he wants too much $$.