Redskins sign S Sean Davis 1 year deal

MikeT14

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, Baltimore has a ridiculous talent pipeline.  A possible Hall of Fame guard retired in Marshal Yanda and they didn’t bat an eye about looking for his replacement.  They didn’t negotiate a trade for a guy like Scherff, or break the bank for Flowers or someone else in free agency,  The truly great teams are looking 2-3 years out.  We certainly aren’t close to that.  They have always had the ability to do that, and put a premium on the draft process.  

I'm angry that I cannot give this message more than one like.

Well, I'm really angry that I cannot give this message any likes because I've run out for the day.

8 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Those Teams had a reputation for keeping their own guys. We could possibly be doing that at RG? Is that something Rivera/Smith will implement? Are they keeping and letting the right guys go? 

Being Cheap isn't the Answer though. 

If Scherff can stay healthy this season, he is a prime candidate for being extended.  It has also leaked out, or it may have even been said by Rivera himself, that he isn't giving out extensions until these guys actually take the field under his watch, something that I also agree with.  

If you look at the history with the Panthers, and I think one can reasonably draw the dots that Rivera will follow this- they definitely focused on re-signing their own talent.  They only spent $27 million or more on outside free agents twice during his tenure as head coach.  The first time was spending $55 million on Matt Kalil, and when he busted, they gave $27 million to Matt Paradis to replace him.  I cautioned everyone on expecting big moves in free agency because of this. 

14 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If Scherff can stay healthy this season, he is a prime candidate for being extended.  It has also leaked out, or it may have even been said by Rivera himself, that he isn't giving out extensions until these guys actually take the field under his watch, something that I also agree with.  

If you look at the history with the Panthers, and I think one can reasonably draw the dots that Rivera will follow this- they definitely focused on re-signing their own talent.  They only spent $27 million or more on outside free agents twice during his tenure as head coach.  The first time was spending $55 million on Matt Kalil, and when he busted, they gave $27 million to Matt Paradis to replace him.  I cautioned everyone on expecting big moves in free agency because of this. 

Are you saying that's a good thing though? Resigning Scherff shouldn't stop you from filling other voids on the team. Also if Rivera is truly rebuilding he's looking for talent to add to this team. 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Are you saying that's a good thing though? Resigning Scherff shouldn't stop you from filling other voids on the team. Also if Rivera is truly rebuilding he's looking for talent to add to this team. 

I think he can make more calculated risk in free agency, but overall, I think you build through the draft.  You extend some of your top talents, but the best teams don't get involved in extending their middling players.  They always have the next guy up mentality, because they've built so well through the draft.  

What am I missing here?

Baltimore has a talent pipeline bc they are starting a 6th round 2018 pick at LG and Washington doesn’t have a talent pipeline bc we are putting a 2019 4th round pick in to replace Flowers?

Marshall Yanda retires and Baltimore has a talent pipeline bc they sign DJ Fluker to replace him at RG?

I’ll hang up and listen

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think he can make more calculated risk in free agency, but overall, I think you build through the draft.  You extend some of your top talents, but the best teams don't get involved in extending their middling players.  They always have the next guy up mentality, because they've built so well through the draft.  

You can't fill all the teams wholes in the Draft and than add more buy not keeping in house talent. If Scherff is willing to stay in Washington what's wrong with resigning especially if he can stay healthy this year? Just letting him walk only adds another whole on the team.

If anything Trade him for a 2nd round pick while his value is still high. 

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

You can't fill all the teams wholes in the Draft and than add more buy not keeping in house talent. If Scherff is willing to stay in Washington what's wrong with resigning especially if he can stay healthy this year? Just letting him walk only adds another whole on the team.

If anything Trade him for a 2nd round pick while his value is still high. 

I never said you can fill all of the holes in the draft (I said Rivera can take more calculated risks in free agency than the Panthers did in the past), and I didn't say anything about not keeping talent in-house (I said you extend some of your top talents, but not middling players)

I also didn't say there was anything wrong with re-signing Scherff if he stayed healthy.  I said his chances of staying increase if he can stay healthy.  But if he has a third straight season marred by injury, it's a hard pass for anything other than a one-year "prove it" deal.  And that will be the same for Washington Team Football, as well as most of the other 31 teams in the NFL.  

So I am not really sure what we are disagreeing on here.  

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What am I missing here?

Baltimore has a talent pipeline bc they are starting a 6th round 2018 pick at LG and Washington doesn’t have a talent pipeline bc we are putting a 2019 4th round pick in to replace Flowers?

Marshall Yanda retires and Baltimore has a talent pipeline bc they sign DJ Fluker to replace him at RG?

I’ll hang up and listen

Baltimore is always drafting.  They have a 2018 sixth round pick at LG, backed up by a 2019 fourth round pick.  They have a third round pick backing up Fluker, who likely was brought in after it was clear that Covid was here to stay and would affect the entire off-season.  The rest of their line, including Yanda, were drafted by them as well.  Matt Skura was an UDFA.

Also, if you are comparing the Ravens and Washington Team Football organizations as a talent pipeline.........................don't.  Just. Don't.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I never said you can fill all of the holes in the draft (I said Rivera can take more calculated risks in free agency than the Panthers did in the past), and I didn't say anything about not keeping talent in-house (I said you extend some of your top talents, but not middling players)

I also didn't say there was anything wrong with re-signing Scherff if he stayed healthy.  I said his chances of staying increase if he can stay healthy.  But if he has a third straight season marred by injury, it's a hard pass for anything other than a one-year "prove it" deal.  And that will be the same for Washington Team Football, as well as most of the other 31 teams in the NFL.  

So I am not really sure what we are disagreeing on here.  

Cool that's where I suggested trading him for at least a 2nd round pick if by the trade deadline Scherff is still healthy yet not resigned. 

As you said hopefully Rivera is more about Free Agency. 

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Baltimore is always drafting.  They have a 2018 sixth round pick at LG, backed up by a 2019 fourth round pick.  They have a third round pick backing up Fluker, who likely was brought in after it was clear that Covid was here to stay and would affect the entire off-season.  

Also, if you are comparing the Ravens and Washington Team Football organizations as a talent pipeline.........................don't.  Just. Don't.  

So we’ve been doing the same thing for most of this decade except for the McNabb & RG3 trade. You can’t say that we haven’t been building through the draft almost all decade bc we have.

We drafted a run first QB just like the Ravens, only our HC at the time didn’t sit him down for the year when he injured his knee, he let the 22 year old player play and then that QB tore two knee ligaments in a playoff game bc the HC at the time couldn’t see the Forrest for the trees.

The issue is we didn’t keep some of the players we should have, TWill forced his way out and we let Reed go bc of concussions.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

So we’ve been doing the same thing for most of this decade except for the McNabb & RG3 trade. You can’t say that we haven’t been building through the traft almost all decade bc we have.

The issue is we didn’t keep some of the players we should have and TWill forced his way out and we let Reed go bc of concussions.

The Ravens had one losing season in the past decade, made the playoffs six times, made it to the AFCCG twice, made the Super Bowl once and won it.  John Harbaugh started in 2008 and has a career .612 winning percentage.  

Washington Team Football's best season the past decade was 10-6, with only two playoff appearances.  Bruce Allen's winning percentage was under .400.  

There is absolutely no comparing these two franchises as talent pipelines.  No basis to compare them at all.  The Ravens draft better, coach their talent better, execute on the field better and essentially do everything better on and off the field than Washington Team Football.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So we’ve been doing the same thing for most of this decade except for the McNabb & RG3 trade. You can’t say that we haven’t been building through the draft almost all decade bc we have.

We drafted a run first QB just like the Ravens, only our HC at the time didn’t sit him down for the year when he injured his knee, he let the 22 year old player play and then that QB tore two knee ligaments in a playoff game bc the HC at the time couldn’t see the Forrest for the trees.

The issue is we didn’t keep some of the players we should have, TWill forced his way out and we let Reed go bc of concussions.

I can agree with the bolded. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Ravens had one losing season in the past decade, made the playoffs six times, made it to the AFCCG twice, made the Super Bowl once and won it.  John Harbaugh started in 2008 and has a career .612 winning percentage.  

Washington Team Football's best season the past decade was 10-6, with only two playoff appearances.  Bruce Allen's winning percentage was under .400.  

There is absolutely no comparing these two franchises as talent pipelines.  No basis to compare them at all.  The Ravens draft better, coach their talent better, execute on the field better and essentially do everything better on and off the field than Washington Team Football.  

They most definitely do indeed. We should've stolen away their Front Office when we had the chance!

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yup. I remember when Ngata hit his knee, I said that they should sit Griffin down for the rest of the year and he needed surgery on it. 

I remember quite a few people downplaying my concerns at the time ("he's fine", "it's just a sprain"). And I had to explain how ligaments get damaged and how they don't just "spring back" into shape (once stretched, they stay stretched until you have surgery - unless it is the mildest, most microscopic stretch and then a small amount of rest will heal it). With Robert, that knee bent back almost 90 degrees in the wrong direction. And that meant ligament damage. And because of the loose ligaments he had after that hit, it's why he tore the entire knee up in that playoff game. 

Now...granted, this was still a QB that had a hard time with route trees and reading defenses (our RPO/Zone Read offense was designed to get the primary receiver open and he was to run if they weren't). So he still would've had to do the mental part (playbooks, film study, meeting with OC and QB coaches to go over finer things) of being a QB (which IMHO he always downplayed in favor of being in the gym), but he would've physically been okay if he had been shut down after the Baltimore game and had surgery to repair the damaged ligaments he most assuredly had at that point. It wouldn't have been as big of a rehab as it ended up being and he would've been ready by Minicamp.

• Like 2