The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

To honestly break down what guys like Payne over Vea. When Payne is swallowed up someone else was free to make the play instantly. That didn’t always happen in Washington. Of course Bama has talent!!! But they are a unit. If you think we take Vea and he will be this Nagta type player I think you will be upset. Nagta was Nagta because Baltimore had pieces to allow him to be that. I do believe both of these players would shine HERE because we have invested in our front 7 recently. That’s the key is they have to have help. They both will get swallowed up. Do we have the pieces around them to allow them to impact the overall succsess of the defense because really that’s the only real way to judge a interior DL. Just like a OG can you run how many sacks do you give up. They are judged more of the production of others then did they make this tackle or get that sack number

4 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

But we run a 3-man line in more high leverage situations, like on 3rd and 2, 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, and goal line situations.  This is where games are often won and loss.  If we plan have Payne playing 0-tech in those situations, I would be shouting at the TV for us to put Phil Taylor there instead, especially when we're going up against the Dallas or Philly OL.

I don’t think you will when ZB is living in the backfield meeting ball carriers. Better yet. Don’t look at this year. Look back at last season. Look who was next to J Allen when he made most of his splash plays. Tomlinson or Payne? Tomlinson was bigger and less effective then payne. Payne was highly rated coming into this year but that team lost Allen and Foster and Payne still opened up a lot for guys who clearly aren’t J Allen and M Foster

20 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t think you will when ZB is living in the backfield meeting ball carriers. Better yet. Don’t look at this year. Look back at last season. Look who was next to J Allen when he made most of his splash plays. Tomlinson or Payne? Tomlinson was bigger and less effective then payne. Payne was highly rated coming into this year but that team lost Allen and Foster and Payne still opened up a lot for guys who clearly aren’t J Allen and M Foster

I'm looking at Payne's whole career.  It's easy to say he opened up so much for his teammates, but show me how.  Was he constantly double-teamed and opened up guys to go against single blocks?  Not from what I've seen.  Don't just point me to stats of other players, because none of us know how much of an impact Payne made to get them those stats.  The Alabama defense has been dominating long before Payne came to the school, and they'll be dominating long after.

39 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I'm looking at Payne's whole career.  It's easy to say he opened up so much for his teammates, but show me how.  Was he constantly double-teamed and opened up guys to go against single blocks?  Not from what I've seen.  Don't just point me to stats of other players, because none of us know how much of an impact Payne made to get them those stats.  The Alabama defense has been dominating long before Payne came to the school, and they'll be dominating long after.

So, where’s this I’m not saying Payne doesn’t make plays talk... because once again the last 2.5 pages has been about trying to proven he’s overrated and not worthy of the pick.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So, where’s this I’m not saying Payne doesn’t make plays talk... because once again the last 2.5 pages has been about trying to proven he’s overrated and not worthy of the pick.

He's not worthy of the #13 pick.  That doesn't mean I don't think he was a good player in college.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

He's not worthy of the #13 pick.  That doesn't mean I don't think he was a good player in college.

I guess I would have to have you name 13 players in this draft that you would absolutely have to take over him and understand why their value or talent or impact is so much higher then his

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

e65.gif

Lol I mean that’s essentially you justifying why he isn’t worthy of being selected 13. Name 13 better football players who are legitimate targets and don’t play QB because other then the top guy falling that osition isn’t getting picked lol honestly I can name you about 16 or so players I’m absolutely okay with at 13 this year. Very talented class. Andonly2 of those are QB’s because only 2 jump out for me. Lots of potential not really a lot of that guy has ability and winner mix in this class!!!

3 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Lol I mean that’s essentially you justifying why he isn’t worthy of being selected 13. Name 13 better football players who are legitimate targets and don’t play QB because other then the top guy falling that osition isn’t getting picked lol honestly I can name you about 16 or so players I’m absolutely okay with at 13 this year. Very talented class. Andonly2 of those are QB’s because only 2 jump out for me. Lots of potential not really a lot of that guy has ability and winner mix in this class!!!

I can easily name 13 players I think are better than Payne. But you were asking me to do way more than that. You wanted me to explain why their impact/talent/value is above Payne’s. I’ve already experienced the headache of trying to convince you guys that Vea is the better NT prospect for us by posting PFF stats and also providing a good amount of examples via film. Why would I subject myself to that 12 more times when it’s not going to ever change your mind?  Again, I don’t have time for that. 

I was pretty high on Vea myself over Payne for a while until I started thinking about it. Payne was in the SCC which gives him a nod over Vita, plus he won't be 21 until the end of next month. Vea is 23 years old so Payne has more time to develop by almost 2 1/2 years.

If you draft on college production alone you take Vea, if you draft on future potential which you should do, then you take Payne all day.

Payne would only be 26 years old in league after 5th year option. His value will be higher on 2nd contract and Vea would be approaching 29. That can be a big difference down the road 

Just now, ripsean21 said:

Technically, he probably only needs to name 9 non-QB players since it seems like a pretty safe bet that 4 quarterbacks will go before #13 is up.

53 minutes ago, Woz said:

This whole argument is going to be splendiforous to review when we end up drafting someone like Denzel Ward with both Vea and Payne available ...

According to google you spelled this random work incorrectly.  "splendiferous" is the correct spelling.  

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/splendiferous

Definition of splendiferous

: extraordinarily or showily impressive

Archived