The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So you’re telling me there no chance he falls to us at 13???

the Browns should take him #1 and a qb #4. They’d be foolish if they pass on him.

This is what I've been saying from the jump. They will get one of the QBs at 4. They won't get Barkley there if they pass on him with the first pick. This is like the easiest pick to make in years. Just take Barkley. He's that good.

22 hours ago, mike23md said:

Forget buying tickets. Live performances all over Youtube. 

Yeah, except that you don't get that crowd feeling ... just see others getting it. *shrugs* To each their own.

59 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I’ve always been more of a fan of his than most. I read the reason he had a down year compared to past years and looked slower was because he was battling an injury.

I’d to get him

Even a Guice at 70% is a strong starting RB. If he's the choice, I will be smiling ear to ear. 

Anthony Miller, Memphis WR,  22 bench reps. 

raw

Anyone see the the Barkley simulcastwith Julio Jones, OBJ and Antonio Brown?

Barkley beat them all in the 40.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000918806/Simulcam-Antonio-Brown-vs-OBJ-vs-Julio-Jones-vs-Saquon-Barkley

So, Barkley’s official 40 time was changed to a 4.0. Just unbelievable what he did yesterday! Rich Eisen said his 10 yard dash was faster than Desean Jackson’s (and Barkley outweighs Djax by over 50 pounds), his 40 was also faster than Julio Jones’s, OBJ’s, Antonio Browns and most wrs and Dbs in the nfl currently. 

Then there is this:

1. He was stronger than Joe Thomas(29 reps vs 28)

2. Quicker than Djax(1.54 vs 1.54)

3. Faster than Devin Hester(4.4 vs 4.3)

4. Jumped higher than Julio Jones(41” vs 38.5”)

And get this! “The QUAN” As Steve Smith nicknamed him, isn’t satisfied. He wanted to run in the 4.3’s for his 40, he wanted to get 42 inches in the vertical jump and wanted to get more than 30 reps on the bench press. The guy is not only amazing in what he did yesterday but he’s amazing driven to succeed and be the best. As Rich Eisen said, us in the big10 who are fans of other teams are glad he’s going to the nfl. Penn State doesn’t beat Ohio State in 2016 w/o Barkley for sure and we would’ve had an underrated season until we got to the playoff. Last year he returned a kick off vs Ohio state too.

Again, the Browns would be flat out stupid to pass on Barkley. They should take him at 1, and Darnold, Rosen or Allen at 4.

I pray he doesn’t go to the Giants. Having to defend Barkley and OBJ on the same offense is unfair and would suck for us for another decade. 

Sony Michel was interviewed by the Patriots at the combine, so they’re obviously thinking about taking him with the 32nd pick. For me, he’s obviously the my first choice of RBs in round 2 but if we didn’t go rb in round 1 with Guice, it’s not the be all end all  of we miss on Michel. Nick Chub is bigger and had a faster 40 time. Then there is Keyron Johnson, Ronald Jones and Rashad Penny who should be available for us in round 2 and I’d love to get any of them as well.

Right now though, I have to say I’m leaning towards Derrius Guice in round 1 and Tim Settle or maybe we even get lucky and Payne or Vita Vea falls to us in round 2 - not likely but possible.

Obviously for ILB I pray we re-sign Brown and use him as a two down ILB or blitzer on 3rd downs and bring in JHC as the dime ILB or hopefully Cravens is accepted back as our dime ILB on 3rd and long.

OG/C, OLB I still want to re-sign our own guys (Lauvao, Long, Koandjio, Galette - I pray - and Murphy) and draft someone mid and/or late to develop behind them like we did last year with Roullier who looks like our starting C going forward. Don’t forget we still have Kyle Kalis and Tyler Catalina developing as reserve guards as well.

WR, I think is something we should do in free agency. We need a vet added to our WR Corp, someone Smith can rely on other than Davis because like with Kirk last year, currently Alex doesn’t have a vet wr he can rely on at wr. Doctson and Crowder were inconsistent last year, Reed couldn’t stay healthy, Harris sprained his knee in camp and didn’t take the next step and Grant is a reliable wr but he shouldn’t be your most reliable WR or a starter. So, unless Ridley falls to us at 13, I think we should wait to take a wr in the mid to late rounds or possibly not at all if we re-sign Grant because we also have Harris and a Robert Davis developing as 4 & 5 WRs.

The more and more I watch Nick Chubb, the more and more I would love him in the 2nd round. I really like Ballage, but I think he is going to go higher than he should. His pass protection is lacking as he tends to anticipate chipping a lot prior to engaging in the block. Doesn't stand up block very well unless its a smaller back. Has good patience at times, but can rush it before holes develop. Has good hands as a catching back, but RB routes could be crisper. Hard for him to cut on a dime as he tends to have weak legs in planting unless going straight forward. Lowers the shoulder and tries to get as many yards as he can. 

50 minutes ago, mike23md said:

The more and more I watch Nick Chubb, the more and more I would love him in the 2nd round. I really like Ballage, but I think he is going to go higher than he should. His pass protection is lacking as he tends to anticipate chipping a lot prior to engaging in the block. Doesn't stand up block very well unless its a smaller back. Has good patience at times, but can rush it before holes develop. Has good hands as a catching back, but RB routes could be crisper. Hard for him to cut on a dime as he tends to have weak legs in planting unless going straight forward. Lowers the shoulder and tries to get as many yards as he can. 

I was just going to come in here and say that Guice and Chubb are a bit slower than Barkley and not quite as athletic but they’re not that far off from him either.

Saquon Barkley (Penn State): 40 (4.40), BP (29), Vert (41.0), Broad, 3C, 20S (4.24), 60S

Nick Chubb (Georgia): 40 (4.52), BP (29), Vert (38.5), Broad (128), 3C (7.09), 20S (4.25), 60S

Mike Mayock’s comp for Sony Michel is Alvin Kamara. They both are more quick than fast, but have been home run hitters. Kamara ran a 4.56 40 last year and Michel ran a 4.58 yesterday. They both have burst and acceleration and good balance when they face contact to get yards after contact.

Mayock said he needs to see more from Michel and a few others like Guice and Chubb as receivers because they weren’t asked to catch much in college - but neither was Kamara or Corey Clement - and all they did was become two of the best receivers out of the backfield in the nfl as rookies. Michel did look good in the short gauntlet drill they ran when they had the back face the qb and run back and forth side to side and catch a pass and then catch a pass as he’s running upfield but he dropped one of his swing route attempts. Still, he looked good enough for me as a receiver athlough I’m sure he need and Chubb need work in the area as most RBs probably do. Whomever we take I know Gruden and company will have them working on receiving all offseason so, I’m not concerned about it.

If you need a RB this is the draft to do it. This has to be one of the most impressive class of RBs to come out of the draft in years. Doug Williams basically came out and said the redskins are going to pick a RB which completely contradicts everything else being reported. 

Guice, KJ, Michel, Penny and Chubb would all help this team immensely. Team one of them up with Perine and Thompson and that's a nice trio of RBs. 

D.J. Chark runs a 4.34                   .... oh my.                                                                                                                                                                                               

Archived