2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

15 minutes ago, dcat said:

And I will guarantee you that neither Higgins nor Mims will last until 48.  Round 1 for them.  Neither will Jefferson. 

You said he wouldn't get past Philly though which was my point.  Ok so what does that mean though?  Still will be be a starting WR there in round 2.  I don't think Mims or Jefferson get out of round 1 either.  Higgins def could though and anyone of Aiyuk, Pittman, Higgins, Reagor, Hamler, Shenault, etc could be there at 48.  Anyone of those guys steps in day 1 opposite Perriman.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

You said he wouldn't get past Philly though which was my point.  Ok so what does that mean though?  Still will be be a starting WR there in round 2.  I don't think Mims or Jefferson get out of round 1 either.  Higgins def could though and anyone of Aiyuk, Pittman, Higgins, Reagor, Hamler, Shenault, etc could be there at 48.  Anyone of those guys steps in day 1 opposite Perriman.

Philly, from what I hear, loves Higgins.  Don't be surprised.  Same with G Bay.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

We don’t really know how JD is going to draft. While we are all debating OT and WR, these are guys I think have a chance of being our pick at 11: CJ Henderson, and K’Lavon Chaisson. I don’t expect Simmons, Okudah and Young to be there.

Those two guys fit our scheme and feel two big needs.

Im not saying this is what I want. Just that those two players make sense. Especially C.J. Henderson. Chaisson is a bit of a projection.

Henderson with boneless tackling skill won't be a Jet as long as GW is in charge of defense.   Chaisson is an exciting prospect in long term as he remains untested as 260 lb.  

A several teams may trade ahead of Jets to take T.  That concerns us greatly.   Indeed, we don't know how will it turn out under JD.  Year 1 all again.  sighing.

33 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Why is a "starter" good enough? Cant we get a playmaker? Theres starters in EVERY round of the draft. I dont care that eric decosta said that, it can be true of any position at any round. 

Because right now we lack starters and many positions including more important ones like OT and OLB.

I'll take Decosta's opinion over many other peoples.  Our young QB needs to be protected and right now counting on Edoga and Fant is enough to ruin a season before it even starts.

Not sure how many times I can point out that it played out in CLE last year right in front of our eyes what a bad OL can do even with weapons.  The stats support Sam being able to elevate his WR play when given time by his line yet people still just want the shiny new toy.  If Sam is great then let him be great and elevate the talent around him.  Only way to do that is by giving him time.

Hope JD does the right thing for Sam.  Let Edoga continue to develop because hes not ready to start and it's unlikely a mid round is either.  You can scheme for WR issues given we have talent at TE and RB.  A bad OL can ruin an entire offense and right now we still have a bottom 1/3 rd OL.  Plus most of these guys are great run blockers which will help Bell too and open things up for the whole offense.  

I'd love Ruggs don't get me wrong but the impact a bad OL has on the offense will negate any positive impact a WR would bring.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Henderson with boneless tackling skill won't be a Jet as long as GW is in charge of defense.   Chaisson is an exciting prospect in long term as he remains untested as 260 lb.  

A several teams may trade ahead of Jets to take T.  That concerns us greatly.   Indeed, we don't know how will it turn out under JD.  Year 1 all again.  sighing.

True. I was thinking more as a man cover guy. But you’re right. Ok. So this makes me feel better. The only non OT/WR that seems realistic is Chaisson who is a bit of project. Can’t see him being JDs pick. Alright. I’m done trying to guard against disappointment. There’s a 100% chance we go OT or WR. Haha.

Edited by SDotNova

20 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Because right now we lack starters and many positions including more important ones like OT and OLB.

I'll take Decosta's opinion over many other peoples.  Our young QB needs to be protected and right now counting on Edoga and Fant is enough to ruin a season before it even starts.

Not sure how many times I can point out that it played out in CLE last year right in front of our eyes what a bad OL can do even with weapons.  The stats support Sam being able to elevate his WR play when given time by his line yet people still just want the shiny new toy.  If Sam is great then let him be great and elevate the talent around him.  Only way to do that is by giving him time.

Hope JD does the right thing for Sam.  Let Edoga continue to develop because hes not ready to start and it's unlikely a mid round is either.  You can scheme for WR issues given we have talent at TE and RB.  A bad OL can ruin an entire offense and right now we still have a bottom 1/3 rd OL.  Plus most of these guys are great run blockers which will help Bell too and open things up for the whole offense.  

I'd love Ruggs don't get me wrong but the impact a bad OL has on the offense will negate any positive impact a WR would bring.

I totally get what you’re saying. And I can’t state enough I’d be happy with OT at 11. But if Sam is good than he shouldn’t need pro bowlers all along his line to be good.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I totally get what you’re saying. And I can’t state enough I’d be happy with OT at 11. But if Sam is good than he shouldn’t need pro bowlers all along his line to be good.

But he does need SOMEONE to throw to. At least we have guys that CAN start at OT. We dont have a single WR that's a proven #1 or #2 WR. We have a slot guy and an air raids #3/4. We cant count on Perriman to stay healthy and be a true #1 or #2, hes never done it before. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Actually is the total opposite.  If Sam is good he won't need all pro WRs just time in the pocket.  Given we've seen Sam elevate his WRs when given time I'm all in for OL on round 1.

I get the WR crowd too.  I know we need at least 1 and preferably 2 in this draft but with what happened in CLE, what the stats say about Sam and a clean pocket, and the depth of the WR position in the draft I really think we shouldn't be looking at a WR in round 1 unless the board really breaks bad.

If we keep Sam upright he will shine, I havent a doubt in mind about that statement.

1 minute ago, KodiakThunder said:

But he does need SOMEONE to throw to. At least we have guys that CAN start at OT. We dont have a single WR that's a proven #1 or #2 WR. We have a slot guy and an air raids #3/4. We cant count on Perriman to stay healthy and be a true #1 or #2, hes never done it before. 

Perriman is fine as a starter.  I trust him way more then Edoga at RT.  I'm not ignoring WR either.  I want one in round 2 where there is likely one ready to step in day 1 still.

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Perriman is fine as a starter.  I trust him way more then Edoga at RT.  I'm not ignoring WR either.  I want one in round 2 where there is likely one ready to step in day 1 still.

I'd wanna go WR in the 1st and poss 2nd. And go OT in the 2nd or 3rd... obv depending on who is there in the 2nd. 

I just think at #48, there will be more value at OT than at WR. And Perriman has NEVER succeeded as a full time starter. I wouldnt expect him to start now. Hes most likely insurance.

21 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Actually is the total opposite.  If Sam is good he won't need all pro WRs just time in the pocket.  Given we've seen Sam elevate his WRs when given time I'm all in for OL on round 1.

I get the WR crowd too.  I know we need at least 1 and preferably 2 in this draft but with what happened in CLE, what the stats say about Sam and a clean pocket, and the depth of the WR position in the draft I really think we shouldn't be looking at a WR in round 1 unless the board really breaks bad.

If we keep Sam upright he will shine, I havent a doubt in mind about that statement.

I disagree with this. If Darnold is Tom Brady than we can talk (keep in mind Brady has had A LOT better weapons than most say). That logic is that if he’s protected he can make poor WRs look good. Which I just can’t get behind that logic.

I can understand giving Sam time. He's shown he can't beat the blitz, and he's definitely not cool in the pocket when under pressure, so he should improve with a solid OL and stronger run game. But without play-makers on the receiving end of the ball, we are looking at some long, tough drives.

38 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I can understand giving Sam time. He's shown he can't beat the blitz, and he's definitely not cool in the pocket when under pressure, so he should improve with a solid OL and stronger run game. But without play-makers on the receiving end of the ball, we are looking at some long, tough drives.

Ya with protection Darnold can make Berrios Julian Edelman 🙄

One thing Adam Gase was able to improve was our WR separation. In 2018, Darnold had to thread every single throw. Even with Crowder and a bunch of jags, our WR were more open in 2019.

We still need another starting WR and my preference is to go WR at 11. Imagining giving Gase Darnold and WRs? Oh man. We should bring Peters in as a 1 year stop gap to let our day 2 OT and Edoga time develop.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1