2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

Another interesting thing is how analytics play into our pick. PFF has consistently said that playmakers are more valuable than OL vs Old School/Classic team building says the OL is more important. Will be interesting to watch.

I think the one constant that will remain no matter what is that the game is won in the trenches. How you adjust to that is what separates the bad teams from the great ones.

42 minutes ago, mek5295 said:

This WR class is nothing like the 2014 WR class. Entirely different crop. If anything, the OT group this year = 2014 WR group. That class was top heavy at WR group with elite top 4 class and depth through the 2nd round, but sorely lacked depth. Doesn't that sound a lot like the OL group?

Fact is this is the first class of its kind, so there's no recent history to point to. From an apples to apples talent perspective, it's like taking the top 14 players from the 2017 draft class and the top 13 WRs from the 2019 class - but merging them into one. If you eliminate recency bias and just evaluate the players for who they were perceived to be before entering the NFL: 

• Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs are on par in terms of value that Davis, Williams, and Ross were coming out (not what they are perceived to be now). Anyone who tries to tell you different has probably already ate their own crow from saying that the 2017 WR class was "as good as" the 2014 class back in 2017. 

Then after them, you have a hodgepodge of really good prospects- all deserving to go between late round 1-early round 3:  

• Zay Jones = Denzel Mims 
  • Marquise Brown = KJ Hamler 
  • DK Metcalf/Jalen Hurd = Chase Claypool 
  • Terry McLaurin = Van Jefferson 
  • Miles Boykin = Bryan Edwards 
  • N'Keal Harry = Tee Higgins
  • AJ Brown = Justin Jefferson 
  • Deebo Samuel = Laviska Shenault 
  • Curtis Samuel = Jalen Reagor 
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster = Michael Pittman 
  • Chris Godwin = Brandon Aiyuk 
  • Cooper Kupp = Devin Duvernay 
  • JJ Arcega-Whiteside = Donovan Peoples-Jones 
  • Andy Isabella = Quez Watkins 
  • Diontae Johnson = John Hightower 
  • Parris Campbell = Gabriel Davis
  • Taywan Taylor = Quartney Davis
  • ArDarius Stewart = Lynn Bowden 
  • Kenny Golladay = Antonio Gandy-Golden
  • Chad Williams = Isaiah Coulter
  • Amara Darboh = Tyler Johnson

I was only meaning to reference the top end comparison of Watkins, Evans, OBJ - Jeudy,Lamb,Ruggs which the conversations was centered around. I do however believe that from a talent perspective, the 2014 class stacks up most appropriately in recent memory.  

3 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Its really this simple. Anything but defense unless Chase Young magically fell to 11.

So if you had the number 1 overall pick, you would go Young?

I have not looked at a single defensive player in this draft.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I think the one constant that will remain no matter what is that the game is won in the trenches. How you adjust to that is what separates the bad teams from the great ones.

I agree I’m on the “OL Team” when it comes to this draft, wouldn’t be mad if we took a WR but I think one of the OTs(Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Jones) would help more.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

So if you had the number 1 overall pick, you would go Young?

I have not looked at a single defensive player in this draft.

If trading the pick wasn’t an option, yeah I’m taking Young over any offensive player in this draft that’s not a QB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

Side Note: watched some 2018 film...man Chris Herndon is gonna be a problem for defenses this upcoming season.

Gase called him a unicorn. Him and Crowder in the middle is going to be a problem for LBs, slot corners and Safeties. I’m optimistic Herndon improves on his rookie year.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

Gase called him a unicorn. Him and Crowder in the middle is going to be a problem for LBs, slot corners and Safeties. I’m optimistic Herndon improves on his rookie year.

Oh yeah I’m excited for it, him and Darnold had a connection towards the latter half of their rookie year. He should be a big plus to the passing game this up coming year

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But then understand that some of us do view these WRs as good or close to as good as Julio and that’s why they’re up there when we talk about them. Doesn’t mean you have to agree with it

If Ruggs or Lamb is a Jets in 10 days you won't be hearing me complaining.  I like them as prospects and have no issue with people wanting a WR.  I just don't agree and I'm just explaining why.  No hard feelings here.  

• Like 1