2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

29 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I agree in that regard although I can understand the trepidation Bobby alludes too. However our scouts who are all over the country year in year out I presume are the same guys?! Maybe I’m wrong. 
If they are however then it’s got to be considered and not just thrown out because we have a new GM 

Yes, most of our scouts are the same. Even our Director of College Scouting (Jon Carr was a Macc hire). The only changes we’ve made are to the decision makers and the process. Douglas has the scouts factoring in scheme. Whereas Macc told scouts not to listen to coaches.

Changing management could have a big impact. Sometimes employees just need a change in leadership to shine. 

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yes, most of our scouts are the same. Even our Director of College Scouting (Jon Carr was a Macc hire). The only changes we’ve made are to the decision makers and the process. Douglas has the scouts factoring in scheme. Whereas Macc told scouts not to listen to coaches.

Changing management could have a big impact. Sometimes employees just need a change in leadership to shine. 

I was hoping we would of cleared house more than that. The problem with consistent failure is it ingrains in certain people and even a new boss can’t shift their focus. That’s why some will prosper with a new regime and some will continue to fail. It’s just human nature. 

Edited by xenajets
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I was hoping we would of cleared house more than that. The problem with consistent failure is it ingrains in certain people and even a new boss can’t shift their focus. That’s why some will prosper with a new regime and some will continue to fail. It’s just human nature. 

Contracts. CJ gave JD a 6 year deal so he has time to build his staff but he can’t pay Macc’s staff, Macc, JD and all JDs guys. That’s why he got his core guys in first and then built out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Yes I agree. The optimist in me believes Macc was a huge problem though. Everything that came out looks awful. Not listening to Bowles is a big red flag. He was literally drafting without consideration to how coaches wanted the team to play. He was drafting without consideration for a lot of things. 

There aren’t many coaches that are successful using different schemes. Most are really good at playing a certain way. Gregg Williams is a unicorn.

The worrisome part is that few of our players have gone to be successful elsewhere. Which means that it was more than just scheme. I’m a little worried about that. I haven’t read anything that suggest Macc was over ruling the scouts. 

Edited by SDotNova

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Believe me I get the frustration but allowing it to influence our current situation is bad business. From my understanding, Douglas brought in a new scouting department and at the very least the actual shot callers are all new. 

It's not having trust in how we draft. We've had several GMs here and thought ok they have a good scouting history and then they draft awful too. I am not at all saying this will be JD. But as Jets fans we have every right to not trust a GM. And I along with every Jets fan hope JD is a great GM. And get that past drafts dont mean anything for this one. But I think we as Jets fans have a right to not trust us in drafts bc history backs us not drafting well no matter who the GM is.

1 hour ago, mek5295 said:

I must be honest. I don't think you've ever watched Becton. Becton's feet are faster than Thomas's. I also don't think Douglas gives a lick about specific drills. He's a scout first and foremost. He has said he puts a premium on the tape and has gone on record that the underwear olympics is to cross T's, dot I's, and use it to evaluate medically and see how competitive guys are. So for that I don't really think a specific drill matters. Ronnie Stanley's 3-cone was poor- but he was a dancing bear on tape and is now one of the best tackles in the league. Also, stop with your defamation. "He probably didn't run it because it would hurt his stock". This is total HS. The guy got injured in the COD Wave Drill (not that you would know what that is), which he was crushing. Put some respect in the guys name. 

Stop trying to pigeonhole a narrative that fits your own agenda. You should be ashamed of being "a mod". Totally unprofessional. 

This is your warning for talking down to people. Next time it will be handled by higher ups than me. You've been on this board for just a few days and already had multiple remarks like this at people (mainly me). So this is your last warning from me before I tell higher ups.

And just incase you think this is the way this site is ran. This is my 1st time in a couple years as a MOD having to do this. So thanks for making an example for the rest of the guys here.

I stated several days ago this talk wont be allowed anymore and some have ignored it. And I cant reiterate enough that it wont be tolerated anymore.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This is your warning for talking down to people. Next time it will be handled by higher ups than me. You've been on this board for just a few days and already had multiple remarks like this at people (mainly me). So this is your last warning from me before I tell higher ups.

And just incase you think this is the way this site is ran. This is my 1st time in a couple years as a MOD having to do this. So thanks for making an example for the rest of the guys here.

Surely glad I can be an example for others. Hopefully a good one. You tell me the rules and I'm happy to abide by them, but we live in a democracy where elected officials answer to the people and are not supposed to be immune for their own faults. I would hope that this site still operates in the same way.

You very clearly made an accusation about a player that can't even defend himself. It was very out of line and unwarranted. Will you hold yourself accountable and admit your fault to set an example for the rest of the guys in here?

Either way, it's fair to have an opinion on Becton; it's not fair to question the man's character and defame his character by suggesting he faked an injury. I think we can all agree with that. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

It's not having trust in how we draft. We've had several GMs here and thought ok they have a good scouting history and then they draft awful too. I am not at all say9ing this will be JD. But as Jets fans we have every right to not trust a GM. And I along with every Jets fan hope JD is a great GM. And get that past drafts dont mean anything for this one. But I think we as Jets fans have a right to not trust us in drafts bc history backs us not drafting well no matter who the GM is.

Good thing fans aren't the ones calling the shots then. I get what you're saying but by your own account you can't seem to eliminate emotion from the equation and that's poor decision making. 

Any news on what the Giants plan to do? Last couple of years the rumors were spot on about them.

OT makes a ton of sense for them. They need help there. But Isaiah Simmons has Gettleman written all over him. Pick 4 will be super interesting.

If the Giants go Simmons, there’s a chance the first offensive tackle off the board is at 8. In that case, we could be in a situation where we could trade back to Atl and still get one of the consensus top 4 OT or top 3 WR.

Edited by SDotNova

Just now, mek5295 said:

Surely glad I can be an example for others. Hopefully a good one. You tell me the rules and I'm happy to abide by them, but we live in a democracy where elected officials answer to the people and are not supposed to be immune for their own faults. I would hope that this site still operates in the same way.

You very clearly made an accusation about a player that can't even defend himself. It was very out of line and unwarranted. Will you hold yourself accountable and admit your fault to set an example for the rest of the guys in here?

Either way, it's fair to have an opinion on Becton; it's not fair to question the man's character and defame his character by suggesting he faked an injury. I think we can all agree with that. 

Its not about what a person's opinion on a football related topic is. There's ways to communicate with people and debate with people. Several people on here have not been doing this in a way that this site wants. Name calling. Talking down to people. Rude pictures or GIFs that do either of those as well. etc.

If you need an example, you're closing sentences were this... "Stop trying to pigeonhole a narrative that fits your own agenda. You should be ashamed of being "a mod". Totally unprofessional."

You don't tell anyone on here to STOP anything. That's not how we communicate on here. Telling someone they should be "ashamed" of something is talking down to them. So you in a couple sentences did the 2 main things this board wont tolerate.

Adjust or higher ups will be informed this is the way you communicate on here.

32 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

This might actually be the year we trade back. Atlanta trading up could be a win win for us. If they go to 10, that drops an OT. If we go to 16, we can still get one of the 3 WRs or Josh Jones (maybe even Wills if he drops).

Hammer this, Joe - I definitely believe that Kinlaw will be there at 11

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Good thing fans aren't the ones calling the shots then. I get what you're saying but by your own account you can't seem to eliminate emotion from the equation and that's poor decision making. 

When JD proves he can draft well. I will do a 180. But he's never drafted a single player before. I am confident he will draft well. But there's 0 basis to say he will, bc he's a 1st time GM. Who teams that he's been involved in have drafted doesnt even show if he loved them or not. Bc he wasn't the GM making the final decision.

Listen we all want the same thing and thats for us to start drafting better. Hopefully that starts happening.

4 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Any news on what the Giants plan to do? Last couple of years the rumors were spot on about them.

OT makes a ton of sense for them. They need help there. But Isaiah Simmons has Gettleman written all over him. Pick 4 will be super interesting. 

I think they go Simmons or their top OT. They might even listen to offers for a trade.