Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Annapolis is a weird city.  The capital building is downtown, and unless you are a restaurant doing carryout, there is no reason to go down there right now.  The hospital is clear on the other side of town with multiple routes in and out.  My concern would be stifling traffic if someone needs to get from downtown to emergency care, more than preventing mass amounts of people getting to the hospital.  

That being said, I'm not in favor of these protests either, just reporting what's going on.  I am in favor of trying to open things up as quickly as we can......but not too quick.  

I get why they're protesting. And looking at it objectively, it feels weird that certain counties are locked down that have low infection rates. Though part of me wonders if it's because the preventative measure were the reason it was low to begin with. Of course, the only way to find out is seeing what happens when you reopen those parts. And as someone who is not in charge and does not have to make difficult moral decisions, I say go for it and see what happens.

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Interesting article about why the Covid 19 numbers seem flat. Are cases really declining?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/04/us-coronavirus-outbreak-out-control-test-positivity-rate/610132/

I dont buy it tbh

The reason testing has peaked is we are testing people at hospitals and hospitalizations have also peaked

Yes there are many many people who have or had this who arent captured but who cares

same in any country

Our testing rates arent that much lower than most

31 minutes ago, pwny said:

This is the person who made that chart. Note that her current year data isn’t based on actual data, it’s based on that quote and that quote alone.

But if one actually looks at the article she references:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-deaths.html

You see that the doctor is explicitly referencing that *OUTSIDE OF CORONAVIRUS CONNECTED DEATHS* there are 3,000 additional deaths. 

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I get why they're protesting. And looking at it objectively, it feels weird that certain counties are locked down that have low infection rates. Though part of me wonders if it's because the preventative measure were the reason it was low to begin with. Of course, the only way to find out is seeing what happens when you reopen those parts. And as someone who is not in charge and does not have to make difficult moral decisions, I say go for it and see what happens.

I don't. I live in one of those low infection rate parts of the state.

The shutdown is what's keeping it that way.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2020 at 3:16 PM, Xenos said:

10% going to church tithe. After that save it for essentials like utilities and groceries. Maybe a small part will go to helping out our favorite restaurants with takeout.

Should probably add that on top of all this, I may use part of the stimulus on getting that new iPhone SE now. If it happens, it'll be my first smartphone :D

3 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't. I live in one of those low infection rate parts of the state.

The shutdown is what's keeping it that way.

Like I said, not in charge and making tough moral decisions. Let it be put on record that Xenos is not leadership quality and may have inadvertently killed @bucsfan333.

• Like 1

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Has anyone looked at how Sweden is doing it? They haven't done as much of a lockdown. They still have a fair number cases but it also hasn't exploded

Well they also have a few advantages over us.

13 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I dont buy it tbh

The reason testing has peaked is we are testing people at hospitals and hospitalizations have also peaked

Yes there are many many people who have or had this who arent captured but who cares

same in any country

Our testing rates arent that much lower than most

Even though we're substantially larger than a lot of other countries that are doing testing?

Edited by Xenos

17 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Low infection rated areas are typically less populated.

The reason why large cities got hit the hardest is due to the sheer volume of people in a certain area thus allowing the virus to spread more quickly.

If we open up the areas that have low infection rates all that will happen is that they will become high infected areas, just at a slower rate than the ones more densely populated.

• Like 1

Just now, Xenos said:

Even though we're substantially larger than a lot of other countries that are doing testing?

I'm talking per capita

We've tested more per capita than UK and France and about half as many as Spain and Italy and Germany