Vikings FFMD20 War Room

RpMc

Made a small move up from 76 to 69 (at the cost of pick 156) to move up and grab Bryan Edwards

After Pittman went, I was working the "phones" to see what it would cost to move up to grab the guy I wanted, Baltimore let me move up for under market value for Edwards who has a combination of size/explosion that's pretty rare for a guy of his frame.  Has a penchant for the highlight-reel catch, only dropped three passes in 107 targets last year, and is the Gamecocks all time leading receiver despite really shaky QB play.

Not done at the receiver position - I have my eyes on some vertical/explosive slot players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Made a small move up from 76 to 69 (at the cost of pick 156) to move up and grab Bryan Edwards

After Pittman went, I was working the "phones" to see what it would cost to move up to grab the guy I wanted, Baltimore let me move up for under market value for Edwards who has a combination of size/explosion that's pretty rare for a guy of his frame.  Has a penchant for the highlight-reel catch, only dropped three passes in 107 targets last year, and is the Gamecocks all time leading receiver despite really shaky QB play.

Not done at the receiver position - I have my eyes on some vertical/explosive slot players.

Took him over Claypool huh?  I like the move and not losing anything but a 5th seems reasonable.  Claypool has elite athletic ability and proof of that ability with combine results, Edwards sadly has none of that, so that is a risk.

Bryan Edwards I love but I think most are down on him because he has been around so long and the injury late this season.   I think you could have easily waited to get him but not sure when we would have picked next.  Edwards did have a great season this past year, I was impressed by his punt return skills he showed, I did not think he had that in him and the big plays he made this year were impressive.  Big strong dude, tough physically with good hands and is solid all around.  Wish there were some pro day or combine numbers to fall back on but he is a physical receiver and we need that no doubt.  

So you did trade for Tevin Coleman?  Isn't that a pretty damn big pay day he gets?  Good back but seems to get injured constantly and is very similar to Mattison.  Not sure he has the big play ability we would need at RB to break long runs and I would rather have AJ Dillon than him anyways as a power back, and he is far more cheap.  Oh well your call.  

Claypool needs quite a bit of work in refining his game - he runs a limited route tree, and not very well, struggles against press for a bigger receiver, and has some drop issues.  He's a fascinating prospect, but for us I think he'd be more of that move TE tight, and we have that already.

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Claypool needs quite a bit of work in refining his game - he runs a limited route tree, and not very well, struggles against press for a bigger receiver, and has some drop issues.  He's a fascinating prospect, but for us I think he'd be more of that move TE tight, and we have that already.

I do not see that, he had more yards and TDs than Edwards did this past year and is a better athlete.  Anyone that moves Claypool to TE is a fool because why do it when athletically he has numbers of a wide receiver.  He makes outstanding catches in the air and really can get some YAC.  Athletically Claypool blows Irv Smith Jr out of the water, but not fair to compare because I do not view him as a TE at all.

7th at the combine in the 40 at 4.42
5th at bench with 19
4th in the vert with 40.5
11th in the broad with 126

At what 6-4 238, no receiver moved like that in this group at that massive size.  He is a beast and a half, but I like Edwards no question as well and sure Edwards is fundamentally better but Claypool is stronger, faster and more physical with more upside arguably.  Who knows maybe he is around later on this round.

I would have a very hard time passing on these OGs in this round, some of those dudes could instantly start and kick Elflein to the bench.

Jonah Jackson Ohio State GS
Netane Muti Fresno State RS JR

Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin RS JR
John Simpson Clemson

Would have a hard time passing on these guys to help round out that DE spot and rush the edge.

James Lynch Baylor JR DE/DT
Jabari Zuniga Florida SR DE
Bradlee Anae Utah SR DE/OLB
Alton Robinson Syracuse SR DE
Jonathan Garvin Miami FL JR DE
Kenny Willekes Michigan State RS SR DE

Edited by Ozzy

Just now, battle2heaven said:

Devin duvernay please!

That kind of speed would be nice no doubt, but James Proche has better hands and is a much better route runner arguably.  Still have no one to play one of the OG positions so that is more than a little bit of an issues, not to mention the other starting S spot.